Home

Oh great, again with the unecessary closing of topics

NiKo

great, just great

go ahead and close this one too

i would have posted this opinion in croockedlines thread but, oh my, it's closed. what a shame, now i'm gonna have to start this completely uselsess topic just to say my silly lil' remark

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and what space is that? the forum is dead, there are no new topics or anything. i would have agreed with you if this forum was running like it used to. but nowdays, the first page of the forum still has topics from a month ago.

so yes, closing these kind of topics IS necessary in a running forum

but ours is pretty dead anyway. so no need to close anything really unless its offensive or something of that kind.

"Waste of space" is just an expression meaning no good.

Threads like that are part of the reason why the Harbour is quiet, it drives new posters away. During the crackdown there were a good few decent posts/threads and the other forums got more posts too. The less threads like that there are, the more chance there is of attracting new posters.

Threads like that are part of the reason why the Harbour is quiet, it drives new posters away.

nope.. it depends on the thread.. but it drives noone away.. believe me. the closure of this thread drives others away.. ( .. :rolleyes: )

During the crackdown there were a good few decent posts/threads and the other forums got more posts too. The less threads like that there are, the more chance there is of attracting new posters.

nope again..

NOW are even more people gone ..

:xp:

again.. it's the harbor.. NOT the general discussion. :dozey:

okay, then, who left thanks to the harbor?

i don't really think that welcome back threads are making people leave the harbor, it's just welcoming somebody back onto the forum. are you saying that niko and frenchyd's welcome back threads for themselves were making people leave the harbor?

like ray said, you closing the threads is making people leave. in fact, i wouldn't be surprised if it was discouraging newbies from coming into the harbor and introducing themselves, because they probably think that they're going to have their threads closed all the time.

i don't think that a forum of "spammy" nature really turns people away from it...aresen is a huge spam factory and a lot of people go there, including myself. i think that you're actually being waaaay too strict and half the stuff that you're closing is completely unnecessary to close. unless it has something inappropriate or offensive in it, then it doesn't need to be closed and it's as simple as that. an "i'm back" thread? :rolleyes:

well, that's all i have to say, this is one thread that i'll check up on for sure.

Originally posted by RayJones

what do you mean..? thanks to the harbor after the "big closure" or before???

Before. People like DJG said it was worth reading again after we "cracked down" on it, but seeing how the Harbor pretty much reverted back to it old self again, I doubt the long term effect pulled anybody back.

i don't think that a forum of "spammy" nature really turns people away from it...

It does.

People dont post on or visit these forums entirely because of the harbour. Its not a case of people leaving, its of people not joining. Milegend would have merged its forums with these were it not for the harbour. People who posted pre-merge wont anymore and people who might have posted here wont because this is seen as a somewhat lame forum.

These forums are not like arsen and never will be. This is a MI forum with an off-topic forum as a bonus, not the other way round. No-one has closed a thread for a good while and its about time really, we were getting lazy.

Leaving and returning threads are completely unnecessary, they are the ultimate pointless thread.

"I'm leaving!" - "bye", "I'm back!" -"Wb".

It does.

umm...okay...and how can you be so sure? did you poll everybody at lucasforums and ask whether forums of spammy nature turn them away from it? i serously doubt it. and i know that i said forums of a spammy nature don't turn people away from it, but the difference is that i said:

i don't think that a forum of "spammy" nature really turns people away from it...

notice how i said the word "think", while you said "does". so you can't tell me "how can you be sure, either?", i want an actual answer, not some cocky, b.s. answer that is always given when it comes to these kinds of topics like "because if you look closely, less people come :¬:". that kind of answer is total crap because you're not keeping track on a piece of paper how many people are coming, nor do you have some kind of meter that counts the amount of people entering the harbor per day. if you really did poll people and have some kind of device that counts users going into the harbor on a daily basis, then i'm badly mistaken, but i'm pretty sure i'm not.

and bgbennyboy- leaving threads and returning threads aren't the ultimate useless threads or whatever. you wouldn't just expect people to know that you're gone for a month when you're just gone one day. and i know that you can post it in one thread that you're going to leave, but not everybody reads every single thread. you want to make it known to everybody and then it'll be like an actual good-bye because people actually bid you farewell, not just "okay i'm leaving bye." in one post and then people say goodbye and it's next to pointless and then that counts as spam and all this other crap. i don't see why they're pointless, and maybe you don't understand the meaning of pointless. let me dissect this for you, here:

point- meaning there is a reason for something

-less- lacking something

therefore, pointless means that it is literally pointless, it has no reason. an example would be "duck." as a post, that's pointless. not "hey, i'm back. i was gone for a while because i was on vacation and didn't have access to a computer. so, what's been going on?", okay?

you know what? this is it. i'm leaving the harbor for good. you've got me so pissed off that it's not even funny. i'll come back to look at things, but i will not post and until you get your s*** together and realize how arrogant you guys are being, i'm not coming back.

bye.

Das Mole, stop behaving like a ten year old brat. The Monkey Island forums have been around since '96 or '97, and you've been around for what? A year? You don't think I know who used to post on these boards years before there was any LucasForums? Don't you think I know why they don't post here anymore? You are badly mistaken in your assumptions, which are just that - assumptions.

this is it. i'm leaving the harbor for good.

Smartest thing you've done since you got here.

But really people, but this is a forum for Monkey Island, not Super Star Wars Racing 3. :¬: Most of the community is mature and non-lame, coinciding with how fans of a well written series of games swaying more on the intellectual side should be like.

Personally, I'm getting a little tired from hearing about these petty little arguments against the mods. If someone has closed your thread and you don't think it was justified, then just think about why they might have closed it and try to stop it happening again in the future.

Oh goodie, another arguement. It's strange but The Harbor seems like the only forum with civil wars.

Personally, the idea of a poll sounds decent. I also think that hello and goodbye threads are useful. If people just up and left, well it would be confusing. Idle chat is what the Harbor is for. If I walked up to you and said I was leavng, would you stop listening to me and close the subject in you mind? I think you would say goodbye. Yes, It's a lot more normal to saw "ciao" over ignoring.

I support mods do what they think is right, I'm not fighting them. But moderator need to find the inner-members inside of them. They should think whether or not it might become popular. Like, a child buys a new toy, it's a bit like his other toys. But If the child uses it and enjoys it, no need to take it away. Plus, If you stop the child from using the toy, and the toy isnt being used, it's a waste of space.

Translation = closed threads are a waste of space if they could be used right.

bgbennyboy didn't provide a reasonable response until his third post in this thread. That makes his first two posts classic examples of

Superfluous, Pointless, Asinine Messages.

RemiO hasn't said anything resonable yet. All I see from him is a lot of assumption without providing evidence. I guess he doesn't know about critical thinking yet. His offerings are quite obviously SPAM. He wouldn't last in a real forum.

When the moderators SPAM their own forums, how can they expect anything more of their members? You have only yourselves to blame, bois. Garbage In: Garbage Out.

Why does the moderation team always seem to get drawn into petty arguments and slanging matches? haway guys, there's no need to insult people, no matter how justified you feel. You're there to set us deviants a good example remember. :)

Instead of just 'cracking down' on posts, why don't we have an open discussion about how to improve 'The Harbor' and it's structure and content. I'm 100% sure we can improve things in this way.....

....in fact I'm going to start a post off right now......

Originally posted by RemiO

The Monkey Island forums have been around since '96 or '97, and you've been around for what? A year? You don't think I know who used to post on these boards years before there was any LucasForums? Don't you think I know why they don't post here anymore?

yeah? well what about me then? I was here from the very begining, before lucasforums. heck, i was even a moderator on these forums. dont you think I know who used to post on these boards years before there was any LucasForums? dont you think I know why they dont post here anymore?

Lets see you handle your own crap.

Originally posted by RemiO

Smartest thing you've done since you got here.

Oh, how mature.

no wonder you'r a supermoderator with that witty yet mature mind of yours.

*clap* *clap*

I told myself I wasn't going to get involved this time, but...

Originally posted by Gabez

But really people, but this is a forum for Monkey Island, not Super Star Wars Racing 3. :¬: Most of the community is mature and non-lame, coinciding with how fans of a well written series of games swaying more on the intellectual side should be like.

All right... First: Are you saying that people who haven't played this particular game shouldn't be visiting the forum? I can see where this might be a problem if people were popping up at random in threads in a forum specifically devoted to game discussion or technical problem resolving, but I always thought that the "Everything and Anything/ Off-Topic" forums here were set aside for discussion about anything BUT the game in question. I have always noticed that if someone tries to start a game-oriented thread in an "Anything..." area, it usually gets moved to the appropriate game-centric forum.

So, as I have always believed that since you're not supposed to talk about the game itself there, I have always seen the "Off-Topic" forums as open to all comers, even those not familiar with the game the area is devoted to, and are a good way to get aquanted with other gamers with different intrests than you that maybe you might not encounter too often otherwise.

Second: Wasn't the point of "Networking" all the various LucasGames Forums to encourage interaction between members of the various nodes? At least that was the explination I heard at the time.

And it has worked for me: I have checked out and enjoyed a bunch of Lucasarts games that I may not have otherwise (Grim Fandango, Sam and Max, Jedi Knight II...) based on the rabid devotion and word-of-mouth I saw around those games. I happen to like Star Wars based action games, but I am open to expanding my admittedly somewhat narrow field-of-view and branching out to other great games.

Third: It seems silly to me to create segregation over not only what type of video-games you like to play... but over what type of video-games you like to play that are published by the same company! After all, we all still look like equal nerds and geeks to someone on the outside...

They are all still just vid games. I don't believe for a second that preferring one over the other automatically makes you a better person.

Originally posted by Carl Shutt

Proof that the crackdown is working.

*(Kicks Carl.)* I'm here, aren't I...? :D

Hear, hear, Edlib. To support your argument, I'll go briefly into my own reasons for not frequenting the Harbor. Frankly, I was perceiving a strong bias against us 'Star Wars' forum crowd. Reading what Gabez has written here, I can safely say that this bias is still in place, and even fluttering proudly on the flagpole.

Why?

When I see the Mixnmojo forums in my 'forum jump' menu, I consider it an invitation to jump on in and participate. Because I haven't played in particular Monkey Island or Sam and Max, I do courteously restrain my interaction to the off-topic forums. Yet in the Harbor I am unwelcome for not staying to the game topic at hand?!? :dozey: The logic of this argument escapes me.

So the big problem I'm hearing is: the old members are leaving because of the Harbor, and the Star Wars crowd drifting in doesn't help. Allow me to propose another theory: your forums are growing old, just like the Rogue Squadron (Aresen) and X-Wing Alliance forums. We too see traffic drifting away as new games come out, and long-term members (frankly) get bored and sail off for a new interest in life other than posting on an electronic bulletin board in cyberspace. This, as I understand it anyway, is one reason why the LFN forums have all been consolidated into one website in the first place. Not surprisingly, if you look at the postings count on the forums page, most activity is taking place in the off-topic forums (where an odd sense of online community has evolved) rather than those specific to games.

Most of these games have been talked to death (unless they're revived by the release of sequels.) Here in the off-topic forums, we talk about all sorts of other things...even, on occasion, the all-too-frequently seen *I'm back* or *i"m leaving* thread. I think they're silly, too, guys...but it's a part of the online sense of community that some of us obviously enjoy. Moderators in the other forums allow these threads to stay open, because they don't want to kill that sense of community.

But this is your forum, your rules. ;) I'm just here to offer feedback, and a suggestion: you could be nicer.

Archived