Home

Oh great, again with the unecessary closing of topics

NiKo

now i have to post in this thread here again.....

i'm gonna try not to pounce on anybody here, so don't take anything too personally.

okay, i'll start by addressing people...

carl shutt post #1 that i will attempt to pick away at:

segment #1

Natty, you are a complete spanktard.

i don't know what a spanktard is....but i don't think natty is one.

segment #2

I never suggested the escapemi.com regulars were acting in a hostile or unwelcoming manner towards new posters.

i don't think you suggested that either, but what if natty was just stating that. although it is somewhat extraneous....

segment #3

But when faced with the overwhelming amount of spam and whiny, teen-angst bull**** that makes up the Harbour, any intelligent person is going to run a mile.

two things: #1. i agree that most of it is "whiny, teen-angst bull****", maybe not that severe, but most of it is kinda like that, i agree. and #2. if it's so whiny and if it's spam and teen-angst and bull****, then....why do you read it?

segment #4

The very existence of the Harbour is driving people away from the MI forums, it is as simple as that.

well, this has been said throughout this thread repeatedly, but i'm agreeing with the half or 37% or whatever it is that says that the closing of topics is driving people away...not the spam itself.

see, that's the problem with this thing...is that both "sides" have to work together to reach what they want. the people that think the harbor is driving people away need to close more topics and just ignore the people that have issues w/it. the people who think that the closing of topics is driving people away need to then try and improve the quality of what they're posting so that both needs (stopping of closing and ending of spam) are satisfied. of course, that would require people to stop fighting, it would require cooperation amongst all of us, and since this isn't an idealistic world, here, then that's obviously not going to happen.

anyway, onto another post here...

carl shutt post #2 that i will attempt to pick away at:

If I visit a new forum for the first time, and find it to be filled with nothing but vacuous crap, then yes, I'll go find another forum. What part of this are you having trouble understanding?

nobody is having a hard time understanding anything here.

okay, we will now move on to....

the wonderful.....neil joshi!!! i'm going to pick apart everybody's posts btw, so don't be surprised that i'm doing this to neil ;)

okay, neil joshi post #1 that i will attempt to pick away at:

segment #1

Okay, this is the kind of crap I'm talkin about. Roy tords, why the hell do you have to post 3 seperate posts in the same damn thread one after another. If you didn'tthink of something before and no ones posted after you yet, the edit button can be your best friend.

i know i'm supposed to help out roy, here, but that's the truth. although roy did explain himself after this post, so.....oops. i just lost my train of thought. damn.

segment #2

is a post count that important to you?

i don't think the post count is important to roy at all. unless it is, then i'm mistaken, but i think i'm right.

and since the other 2 (i think) were a joke and something about a user that i don't know...i have nothing else to say about neil.

now....the presumptuous (i don't know, i'm trying to think of interesting words, here, ok?)...gabez!!!

gabez post #1

segment #1

RayJones, dude, I'm not saying you have to discuss Monkey Island here - quite the opposite in fact.

here we go. if you don't have to talk about mi (which i'm assuming means go to the harbor), then what's the big problem with this forum being "an off-topic discussion w/an mi discussion attached"? or, maybe not that extreme, but at least having more things to talk about in the harbor than in the mi discussion section. here's another thing dealing w/that topic: there's only so much to say about mi. once you talk about something, it's really done with, and with limits on what you can say (only about mi related things), you run out of topics fast, so naturally, there will be more things in the harbor than in the mi discussion and yet it seems to be a problem with people.

segment #2

Edlib and ZoomRabbit - you're complete and utter hippo burgers. I'm not being biased; I'm not segregating people according to game, "Hitler" style. All I was saying was that for a witty series of puzzle games we've got a surprising amount of idiots here.

well, since i can't refer back to what you said previously in this thread because the previous posts part of this screen is limited and i'm too lazy at the moment to leave this screen alone and check what you said, then i don't have anything to really say about this one. except that edlib and zoom are not hippo burgers. unless they want to be, as i'm sure they can find some way to turn that into a compliment ;)

segment #3

Also, guess what? I DON'T CARE ANYMORE. I've lost my bottle. You can quote me on this and campaign for fairer rights for posters but at the end of the day this is just a Monkey Island discussion board, and we are the mods, and you've got to live with this or go away. Really. I don't give a **** anymore. I don't. I'm exhausted from reading your whiney posts.

yeah we are kinda whiney. but you know what? we'll be whiney if we want, dammit! this is a free country! i hate it when little kids say that. plus, me saying "this is a free country" may not apply to all of us...i don't know where some of us live...and i know i can check the "location" thing on each person's post, but some people don't put where they actually live...take me for example. "binoba." :D

segment #4

I hate you all.

hate is such a strong word.

not.

okay, i can't find any more posts by you that i want to do, because there's only one and that's dealing with (another) post that i don't know.

okay...now we're onto: darth groovy!

i'll probably do only one post...only because they're so long. hey, at least you're a productive poster, right?

darth groovy only post that i will do because they're too long for me to comprehend! :

*whew!* okay, since i'm only doing one here, and i want to make up for it, here's the longest one i could find. it was really heavy...

segment #1

While you boys and girls are busy pissing in each other's Cheerios, can somebody please tell me how a thread like this is supposed to help anyone? What does this topic benefit other than the 3 of 4 members posting in it? To anyone on the outside, there is nothing for them to participate in. The purpose of an online forum is to post a topic that others can participate in. I realize that not all boards function the same way. Hell, I would love it if you all came over to my forums, I allow swearing, spamming, pretty much anything, but that is there, not here. They have chat rooms and IRC channels for this sorta thing, come on...it's just common sense. An online discussion and an AOL chat room should not be the same thing---ever! Besides, the thread is still open isn't it?

well, it helps people by giving them more material to read, plus anybody can become involved in a friendly debate thread. it can benefit others outside the thread by letting them know what's going on. this is like the news channel. especially like one of those segments where the two politicians always talk over each other.

segment #2

And for the record, I started coming here, because I see alot of really cool people posting here, and it's a wonderful escape from the terrors of jk.net.

it's also relief from the real world. i don't know about jk,net, but it sounds terrifying. i think i looked around there once...and it was a little scary, actually.

segment #3

This stuff happens on every single message board I ever posted on. Somebody get's his/her thread closed, post edited, post count nuked....whatever. And no matter what the cercumstances were, the mods are always the Nazi meanies, and the spammers are the freedom fighters defending the rights of spammers posters.

well, since people have feelings and emotions, which are usually quick to change, then people are obviously going to feel that the mods were nazi meanies. sometimes, they aren't (or at least in some people's eyes they're not), but it's inevitable that people are going to judge others on the way they've been treated by those people that they have particular opinions on.

segment #4

Why should this forum be any different than anyone else?

different in what way? getting away w/spamming? it shouldn't be any different than any other forum. perhaps if the moderators had stuck to not allowing a whole ton of spam or at least, what they believe to be spam, then the users at the harbor wouldn't believe that they deserve to be able to do what they want all the time.

segment #5

Why is that Harbour members are the only ones that think they are treated unfairly?

i'm sure that other people think they're treated unfairly as well, or at least would feel that way when it came to these kinds of circumstances, meaning the feeling that they've been robbed of something.

segment #6

What? The Harbour and Monkey Island forums are the only boards that ever merged? I just don't get it.

i don't think anybody really ever said that, and i don't think that anybody here thinks that either. also, i don't really see how the merge or anything has to do with being able to spam or the mods closing things...i don't get it.

segment #7

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe if they did their job from the start then none of this would have happened...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please define what YOU think their job should be, I would LOVE to know...

their job is to cut down spam in a forum, and to keep things under control. but as everybody knows, the mods didn't really keep it at a minimum, it was kind of halfway there. and that's why none of this would've happened. i agree with that quote. i don't know who said that...but i agree 100%.

segment #8

As a side note, I think all your arguments would hold up better if you would stop saying things like "The XWAer's this", the "Aresener's that", this discussion reads like a bloody social studies project. Calling each other names, such as trolls, Nazis, spanktard....whatever. Please be civil eh?

i agree. i'm trying to be more civil...i don't think i've called anybody a name yet....that is...since i left. i've had a "rebirth" or whatever. okay. waaaaay too spiritual here. never mind.

segment #9

If you are all as mature as you say you are, why do you fail to demonstrate it?

are you asking the mods that question, because if you are...then i want to know too. in fact, i think all of us want to know. hasn't somebody asked that before?

okay, done w/groovy's post. since i'm too pooped right now to do any more...i'll probably come back tomorrow and do some more posts.

and here's one thing i want to say, referring back to the statement that the people in the harbor think they are being treated unfairly...i believe i said this in our other "flaming" thread in this feeback center...i forgot what it was...it was when the whole big moderation thing began. and i think i said (and i'm gonna say it again)

it's like telling a spoiled child with rich parents that they can't have whatever they want anymore. the moderators have "spoiled" the users in the harbor in a way (this is an analogy here) because they decided that they were going to start moderating more heavily. since we were previously free to post whatever we wanted and we could say what we wanted about anything, then that's how it came to be. once we were told that more heavy moderation was going to be done, it took away that freedom. now we're restricted, and people don't generally like having limits on what they can or can't do. it's like being a seven-year-old again.

well, that's all i have to say, i'm sure you enjoyed the wonderfully rich quality of my writing :rolleyes: i hope i didn't bore you to death...and if i did, then so be it. :)

wow, i think this may have been my longest post where i've actually stated my opinions that i've ever written :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't you read properly Carl? I never said the escapemi'ers were hostile or unwelcoming, I said the exact opposite. Next time before you try and insult me, at least look at what I've written before reading a few words and then pretend you think you know what I said when infact you don't. I said and I'll put it in bold so you can actually see it and it stands out for you. I'm thinking you need glasses. I could always start a fundraiser.

No, the escapemi.com people have always welcomed new people, take a look around, there's been plenty of newbies who have came along since the merge which everyone has welcomed with open arms. It's trolls like you who never have anything nice to say about other people and mods who close down basically everything that make the harbor an uninviting place for everyone else.

Basically, you're a troll Carl, so anything you have to say isn't worth taking on board because you're only here to cause arguments and put people down. Do you lead that much of a boring life that you have to be a sad little twat to people on a forum? That's not the Australian way.

And what is a spunktard? Is that some new way of saying "My name is Carl and I should have been swallowed while I was still a sperm because I lead a boring life and no one likes me which is why I post on a forum being a complete prick and troll to everyone"

Darth Groovy- in response to my comment about maybe if the mods did their job in the first place, I basically meant that if there was spam right from the very start when all the boards merged, they should have done something way back then, instead of waiting 6months later or however long it was when the spam got out of control. That's why I think a lot of people seem to be confused as to why topics that weren't closed in the past are now suddenly being closed, it's not fair. If those topics were seen as spam in the beginning, they shouldn't have been closed. I think the best and recent example is the "Hi I'm Back" threads. Why were 3 allowed to remain open, but one got closed? That's all I'm trying to say. It's not fair.

Hopefully whatever Neil has been working on will be fair and even to everyone, the mods, the posters and whoever else. I'm not sure what exactly is going on, it's between the mods, but I do feel that the posters have a right to say on the matters or the changes, of course that's just me, whatever is decided hopefully it will be fair on everyone.

Das, I read part of your post but my head started hurting ;) I'm sure when my head stops hurting I'll be able to read it properly. I'm amazed I've gotten this far after about 5hours sleep...

edlib and zoom are not hippo burgers. unless they want to be, as i'm sure they can find some way to turn that into a compliment

Very perceptive on your part, Das...

I take it as a high compliment anytime someone responds to me directly on the web, negative or positive, because it means the intent behind the symbols I have placed on the glowing screen has managed to get past the back of someone's eyeballs and stimulate an emotion center in the brain strongly enough for them to respond. Anytime I can manage to arouse thought in another human being it's a good day.

Whether or not the response is intended as the slightest bit complimentary or not is purely immaterial.

Of course, I am also rarely offended by insults thrown my way in the cyber-world. In fact, if someone puts a little thought into it I am usually amused. They are, after all, just strange little symbols, representing words, on a glowing screen, mounted in a plastic box, put there by an anonymous stranger in an unknown part of the world,.. and it's very easy to discount them as such. When I surf away or kill the power they effectively don't exist anymore for me.

Originally posted by Natty

Can't you read properly Carl? I never said the escapemi'ers were hostile or unwelcoming, I said the exact opposite. Next time before you try and insult me, at least look at what I've written before reading a few words and then pretend you think you know what I said when infact you don't.

I already know what you said. You said some irrelevant crap about how friendly and welcoming the Harbour posters were, when I had never suggested otherwise.

Originally posted by bgbennyboy

Thats quite enough of that, if theres any more personal bitching by anyone i'll delete the posts and lock the thread.

By all means post again if you want to be constuctive, if not shut the hell up. No more whiney posts, no really.

not whiney, but typically..

with personal bitching you mean ALL of us mr bgbennyboy??.. including the ONLY ONE who ISNT bitching in here????

you want constructive posts? and with this you do mean ALL of us??.. including the ones which are not posting constructive posts??

..well then .. ok..

lets wait what neil has to tell us!!

Originally posted by bgbennyboy

Thats quite enough of that, if theres any more personal bitching by anyone i'll delete the posts and lock the thread.

By all means post again if you want to be constuctive, if not shut the hell up. No more whiney posts, no really.

The timing of your intervention is worring Benny. I hope that that is directed at everyone including Carl.

Regards the announcement....ah sod it I'll PM Neil!

I'd have thought bennys post was pretty straight forward and yet people still questioning it.

So here it is in plain english:

If you guys don't stop screwing around back there, i'm gonna turn this car thread around and nobodys going to disneyland! be able to post.!

Clear enough for ya.

Wow, you can cut the angst in here with a knife...

After reading this entire thread (yes, I'm bored, so what :p), I think Neil's last post made everything crystal clear :D

Don't hurt me. Please.

*runs*

Originally posted by Natty

Yeah, and thanx for editing the non bitching part as well that was directed at Neil. Could that be classed as abusing mod powers or in your case was it considered as stupid spam?:rolleyes:

In that case, can you PM me the message so I know what it said, harsh and insulting or not, I want to hear it. Oh, and you're PM inbox is full.

I can't remember what my "stupid bitching post" was exactly, but I know it was directed at Carl, I make no apologies, I think [No more bitching remember? Love bgbennyboy].

Anyways Neil, I said something along the lines of "You're still taking me to Disneyland though, you love me" or something like that. It did have something to do with Disneyland though. Which wasn't abusive or bitching.

Oh and PM box is emptied.

Archived