Home

GamesRadar New Review with new pics.

JEDI OUTCAST

Ugh, that was an absolutly atrocious review. I feel stupider just reading it. It's clear the guy playing this game has no saber skills at ALL. Yeah, you can "get" through the game by button mashing, but for those of us that have a brain cell and some hand eye coordination, you can get into some amazing saber fights and have nearly perfect control of your saber. He critizies storm troopers for being cannon fodder! Thats the whole F****** point moron! They ARE cannon fodder! Christ, has this guy even SEEN a Star Wars movie! :rolleyes: Don't read his review, Gameradar blows ass anyway. They're just trying to be "cool" by giving it a bad review.

Wow, this guy really put a L on his own forhead. I hope everyone relizes he has never played JO enough to enjoy this game. His opinion should not matter to any of us here.

and oh, he should be shot for all the crap infested Star Wars puns in this rookie review of a great nonsystem angering game.

but thats just my opinion :)

from what i've seen in the demo, i agree with a lot of what he says. while there is more to combat than button mashing, simply running in sabers twirling works well against most reborn, and there's only so much push - close in - slash'ing i can do to mercs before i get bored.

for me, the tatooine level in the demo had no replayability. a bunch of creatures that only vary in appearance and weapon standing (or crouching!) still while shooting at me isn't exactly thrilling game play. perhaps if they tried to evade my attacks, took cover, etc etc like he said, it would be more interesting. half life came out almost five years ago, you'd think some half-decent AI wouldn't be too much to ask for.

the reborn were more challenging, but didn't work together. they neglected to use combinations of force and saber techniques in their attacks, instead executing moves at random, regardless of suitability to the situation.

you'd think then at least that they'd get the friendly AI to a half decent level. nope. i was sorely tempted to shove that damn bowcaster down chewwie's throat. would it be that hard for him to reposition/shoot something else if i'm in his line of sight, or within a certain proximity of his target? i hope other friendlies (if any) are jedi, or at least intelligent.

the game does look remarkably similar to JO. sure there are some new features, but it's far from a new game. if this was an expansion i wouldnt be able to praise it enough, as it is, i hope raven have some serious tricks up their sleeves for the official release.

i dont agree with darkside powers being the best however. gripping enemies off the edge is of course easy, but so is turning on absorb+protect and charging enemies with saber(s) flailing.

i do disagree with his appraisal of force usefullness however. a good button config and some common sense make force use something that should seriously augment a player's paying style.

lastly, i think his points of levels being poorly laid out, with little direction, were evident in the tatooine mission, there was no indication of which doors were locked and which weren't, so you ended up running around pressing yourself against walls all the time, looking for an open door.

from what i've seen in the demo and other reviews, i find myself agreeing with a lot of what this guy is saying, although i guess it doesn't affect me as much. i just hope that our viewpoints aren't the same on other aspects of the game, that i haven't played. i'm hoping that Jedi Academy will be good, but i'm also prepared for (perhaps even half expecting) some dissapointment.

in any case, the true test will be in multiplayer, single player will just be for when my internet breaks :)

Originally posted by BigMexican

the reborn were more challenging, but didn't work together. they neglected to use combinations of force and saber techniques in their attacks, instead executing moves at random, regardless of suitability to the situation.

i beg to differ... it happened many times where they would work together to kill me. One time one of the sith griped me and the other threw his lightsaber at me. Another time he did that freaky sucking grab thing and the other came up and did the stabbing attack. I dont know if these were freak accidents but I thought it was very cool.

It seems to me he's strictly reviewing this as a First Person Shooter, which is unfair if you ask me. The game has it's origins in First Person Shooter, but it is much more a 3rd person action game.

If there was no lightsaber in this game I'd probably give the same rating this guy does. For a shooter the AI for the non-saber users does kinda suck. But this is not a shooter and the non-saber users are just supposed to be a minor obstacle from one dark Jedi to the next.

Remember how Jedi Outcast kinda sucked until you got your lightsaber. It got a whole lot better after that didn't it? My point is that the lightsaber makes the game and if you keep playing it as a shooter you're gonna be very dissapointed. But the same goes for JK2 as well.

I'm not sure where he get's his complaints about the level design though. I'm sure one level is more fun than the other, but judging from the demo and mostly that Jedi Graveyard level(very cool indeed) in there, the level design seems to be top notch. I never got lost and never had no idea where to go next. I did get lost a couple of times in JK2, so this seems to be an improvement. I think this person should start thinking more in 3d and mind his force powers a lot more. A good force jump is usually all you need to progress through the level.

I agree with CHeavyarms, The Cultist used their force moves as a team especially the "force only" one's...they would attempt to force grip me and his partner would saber throw me to death... or one would drain me .... You know, the one where they grab you and suck the force from your brain ^_^ and the other would do a forward stab... if you want some coordinated enemies play it on the hardest setting... its much better....

And on another note the reviewer was more of a critic on game radar he had a serious attitude.... and it wasn't very professional in my opinion I have lost some respect for GameRadars staff because of not what he said but how he said it.....

Well Waffles to GameRadar,

-VanishingVision

On the contrary, I think he was focusing on it as a Third Person Slasher... he admitted that he felt the game was too easy and prone to button mashing, since you could just slash huge crowds to bits with very little trouble.

I disagree with his review, because, as I said, he never even mentioned MP, which to my mind, was JK2's biggest strength (I felt that SP, while fun in the later levels had serious flaws that prevented it from being a 5 star game).

After playing the demo, I would like to say I think the guns FEEL stronger and better than they did in JK2, but it could be that be just that the enemies in the demo were just stupid and weak.

; )

We'll find out!

Originally posted by VanishingVision

I agree with CHeavyarms, The Cultist used their force moves as a team especially the "force only" one's...they would attempt to force grip me and his partner would saber throw me to death... or one would drain me .... You know, the one where they grab you and suck the force from your brain ^_^ and the other would do a forward stab... if you want some coordinated enemies play it on the hardest setting... its much better....

i was playing on Jedi Master i think. perhaps i just didn't try for long enough, but it seemed to me that most "combo's" were simply lucked out. the reborn did seem to respond to certain situations differently (ie, they see someone gripped and throw their saber), however, i think some more co-ordination in positioning and attacks could have worked well. perhaps even have them giving each other orders, hand signals, etc.

to me it just seemed as if the reborn would respond to your actions to a certain extent, but if you weren't doing anything to bother them, they'd just pull of a random move. if you stand still for instance, they still retreat from you and then come back and slash. i dont think there was any foresight, or planning in their cooperation. maybe if one got ready to stab you while the other pulled you over? i dunno, something to indicate that they were more than robots with lightsabers ....

again, maybe i just haven't played enough :) and i thought the jedi tomb level was amazing. there was nothing wrong with the design, and the atmosphere and visuals were great. the tatooine level, as i said, just felt a bit too random, you couldn't get a sense of where you were.

Just read that review and it really made me laugh. That guy must be totally stupid.

No idea of anything, not knowing some background, not even simple saberskills.

Why thinking when you want to use a force?

Hit your hotkey and cook them with your lightning.

Then, at the beginning:

Would you really choose Force Protect, the ability to protect yourself from attacks thrown at you, over Force Grip, the Vader-like ability to telepathically lift an enemy by the throat, crush the life out of them and toss them around like a baby Ewok?

Hasn't this guy ever used grip against a Dark Jedi? It's counterable very easy, you can hardly hold it 3 seconds at a Jedi without beeing pushed.

One word: Dumbass

heh heh!!! it always makes me laugh when a game gets a bad review and suddenly everyone come out and starts calling the reviewer stupid, saying he didn't play it right, or he has no skills. :D

it just makes everyone come off as fanboys who are unwilling to hear ANY criticism of their favorite game.

Exactly the same thing happened when gamesradar reviewed Force Commander and gave it a bad review. Everyone said he didn't know what he was doing, he obviously couldn't play, and so on. Of course, now we all know that FC WAS actually rubbish. :)

These things are all just opinions after all. Not everyone will agree. What you tend to find though, is people mention the same problems in most reviews, it is just a case of how much weight they give to certain issues.

That review sounds very much like the one I would have given JO. The things i didn't like were the level design, the weapons, the sloppy saber controls in SP and the cannon (or more strictly force) fodder enemies...

But i am hoping JA is better. :)

on a side note.... i thought gamesradar was the online version of pc gamer???? didn't they give it 85%???

I agree about the Cannon Fodder comment, I wish they would run for cover or something, try to kill you in a semi intellegent way.

Guess we will see what the other reviews have to say. I don't agree with everything this guy said and his review sucked, I mean he sounded like a complete jackass right off the bat going on about the movies, lol! Your a game cridic not a movie cridic buddy, holy ****!

"Cridics are nothing more then people who can't do what your doing so they cridicise your ****! You want to cridicise something? Cridicise deez nutz!!"

Martin Lawerence

Archived