Home

Anyone else having technical problems with the JA Demo?

gregsuarez

The second level of the demo continually locks-up and/or crashes my PC. Anyone else having this problem? I'm kind of surprised considering the technical quality of Jedi Outcast - never caused me any problems. My PC:

3GHz P4; 1024MB PC3200 RAM; 128MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro; WinXP; DirectX 9.0b

I seem to be having trouble with the underground level... It runs awfully slow at times and crashed twice on me. I dont think that my PC should be running the game slow considering i dont have Antialiasing on or the 32bit graphics. I've got a pretty dated graphics card but its still a GForce4 TI4800 and a 2.6GHz (800 MHz bus) 512MB dual channel... i dont think i should be having any trouble, maybe i need a DirectX 9 card... i dont know but i do know that i want to beable to run the game properly

Turning off Dynamic glow will increase Framerate by 2X I dont even see what dynamic glow does. My FPS is 36 with everything on except shadows and 106FPS with Dynamic glow off now thats not right its either the game or my video card drivers are messed. Cause I have:

Pentium 4 2.53ghz 533 FSB

512 MB RDRAM PC800

ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 256 MB DDR2

80 GB Harddrive 7200 RPM

10 GB Harddrive 5200 RPM

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platnium

Now how the hell am I only getting such low framerates? Hmmm I tweak the jaconfg file by adding seta com_maxfps "120"

seta com_hunkmegs "256"

For JK2 they always recommended leaving the maxfps at 85 because the game could "chug" if you set it too high.

I haven't noticed that, but for me the game lags a lot.. I have 15 fps average (and I have turned the detail settings down to medium and low, dynamic lights off, 16 bit depth, etc). I didn't this kind of bad performance with JK2 (I know the polys are higher in this game but still).

I am going to go track down those posts ChangKhan made about long loading times too... because loads take 1-2 minutes. ; p

I never had any problems with jk2 neither and i had a gf2mx 32mb video card, so i expect problems with ja, once i get the chance to play the demo. One thing that is really worrying me is that, i got the soldier of fortune 2 demo and it ran pretty slow and since ja borrows from sof2 im worried alot:(, the sof2 demo was in a jungle and on a cruise ship with rain so maybe it will be ok,, i hope so!!, maybe thats why you are having the problms kurgan the new sof2 technology.

I mean, frame rates aside, the damn thing is out-and-out crashing my machine. I really hope this is not indicative of the quality of the final release. And at the risk of sounding like a braggart, my machine pretty much kicks all kinds of ass, and should have NO problem at all running this game with everything maxed out. Plus - and I guess this is a slight dig at Raven and LucasArts - Academy is essentially Outcast with new levels; not much has changed here graphically/gamplay-wise. If this demo level is pretty much lifted from the final code, I pray they launch with a patch ready.

Oh, and I'd also like to add that the obnoxiously buggy and technically flawed Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness has never crashed my machine once.

Originally posted by DarkLord60

Turning off Dynamic glow will increase Framerate by 2X I dont even see what dynamic glow does. My FPS is 36 with everything on except shadows and 106FPS with Dynamic glow off now thats not right its either the game or my video card drivers are messed.

Dynamic glow gives an added glow effect to certain shaders and the lightsaber. I kinda looks like the lighting effects you seen in games like Splinter Cell and UT2k3. It looks really cool, but for some weird reason it does seem to lag incredibly.

Even with Dynamic glow turned off and the shadows to simple the game seems to lag still.

Try turning the anisotropic filtering to 50%. That seems to have been improved since JK2. Setting it to 50% will make the game look comparable to JK2 and it should run about the same, maybe a little slower.

Still it feels like the engine could use a little more optimising if you ask me. Sometimes I get 10 fps when looking at a wall for god's sake.

Here is what I did to try to fix the slowness:

Turned detail levels (world and model) to Low

Turned Resolution down to 800x600 (from 1024x768)

Turned Depth to Default (was at 16 bit)

Turned Dynamic Lights Off

Turned Dynamic Glow (?) Off

Used Simple Shadows

Turned off Detailed Shaders

Anistrophic thingy Off/Zero/Nothing/All the way to the Left

Turned Audio Quality to Low

Turned off Footsteps (just for the heck of it)

Updated to DirectX 9.0b (from 8.1a)

Updated my Nvidia drivers for my GeForce 2 GTS (hadn't done that in awhile)

Tried switching my Desktop color depth to 16 bit (from 32 bit)

I made sure I shut down all background running programs (even though this was never a problem in the past).

STILL getting low framerates (9-21 max if there no no enemies in the room, in first person mode)

I DID try running the DirectX Diagnostic Utility and noticed some errors in the video drivers portion (specifically on the DX7,8, and 9 tests) that I didn't notice before , so something is wrong there.

I will check for that Mouse Option though, thanks for the tip...

My specs:

AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1 Ghz

Win98SE (with all the latest critical updates)

256 mb pc133 muskin ram (just so you don't think it's crappy ram)

GeForce 2 GTS 32 mb (I know it sucks, but it ran JK2 fine)

Soundblaster Live! card

I've got almost 5 gigs free on the drive that JAdemo is installed and yes my hdd is a 7200 rpm Western Digital that's never given me problems before.

I'm surprised that people using an ATI Radeon Pro(fastest card on the market right now?) or a Gforce FX5900 Ultra(not as fast as Radeon, but still good) are having the same problems as me, with my Gforce 3 card.

With those cards you should be running this game at 1600 * 1200 with full graphics and effects at 120 FPS if you ask me.

C'mon it's still the QIII engine. It's not like it's UT2k3 or HL2 or something.

Yes! WhiteShdw brings up an excellent point: it's ONLY the Quake III engine we're talking about here. On that same token, the QIII engine is powering Call of Duty, and that demo runs on my machine like butter at 1600x1200 with everything maxed out - no crashes, locks, frame rate problems, or anything! Not only that, but the Call of Duty demo is NOT based on code that has gone Gold yet!

HELP!

Everytime try to run a level in the demo, wether its tatooine or the other one, I get to select my force powers and weapons la dee da, then when it goes to load the game, I get this error

AppName: jasp.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.4 ModName: grxpff.dll

ModVer: 4.50.0.4 Offset: 00001087

Originally posted by WhiteShdw

I'm surprised that people using an ATI Radeon Pro(fastest card on the market right now?) or a Gforce FX5900 Ultra(not as fast as Radeon, but still good) are having the same problems as me, with my Gforce 3 card.

I'm not quite with you on the 9800pro being the fastest. The latest breed of the FX5900 Ultra with the 256megs is in my opinion the fastest card and have better overclocking abilities.

Yes i have all the latest updates and directX9. I turned off the Dynamic Lights and got much better preformance but i dont know how i'm comparing relative because I dont know how to turn on the Frames Per Second meter, can someone tell me?

I also have antialiasing down all the way because personally i dont think it affects game play enough for me to use it. I have audio quility highest and the HD audio on (gotta use the awsome speakers~) I also have detailed shadows. As soon as i know how to turn on the FPS i can tell you guys what i'm getting.

cg_drawfps 1

in the console.

To bring down the console hold SHIFT and press Tilde (` key to the left of the "1" on the lefthand side of the keyboard).

Turning off the FF mouse made the game a little smoother, but I still can't get FPS above 21. : P

And the game lags heavily with just two enemies on the screen.

Originally posted by CHeavyarms

I'm not quite with you on the 9800pro being the fastest. The latest breed of the FX5900 Ultra with the 256megs is in my opinion the fastest card and have better overclocking abilities.

I read a bunch of benchmarks that stated that the ATI cards performed better. Don't have any personal experience with them though.:) Also I don't think there is a good benchmark game for DX9 yet. So far they've used Tomb Raider AOD, but that's probably not the best choice. Maybe JA will be the new DX9 benchmark game until HL2 comes out.

As soon as i know how to turn on the FPS i can tell you guys what i'm getting.

I looking forward to the results :). You should be getting good performance(60 FPS or higher) with all your settings turned up to full(including dynamic glow and Volumetric Shadows).

ps. Volumetric Shadow does seem to run a bit smoother than it did in JK2. Maybe this time it will actually be useable by people with powerfull graphics cards.

The framerate is rediculous, I run Raven-Sheild (ran on ut2k3 engine) on my computer at 43-52 fps fully maxed out 1024x768. I ran jk:ja fully maxed out at 1024x768 at 20-40 fps (50-70 with dynamic glow/volumeric shadows off) I haven't really dropped below 15 yet. I'm hoping that these fps probs can be dealt with in patches :). At least they can start working early on compatibility issues/patches earlier because of feedback from the demo.

Here are my specs;

Athlon xp 1800+ @ 1.5

WIN 98SE

g4 ti 4200 128mb 8x agp

512 mb ram

And Kurgan... my cpu is only 500mhz faster I shouldn't be getting double the results that you are, maybe JK:JA is more video card dependant? Kurg is your card set on AGP? I've had mine set on PCI before and it was in the AGP slot... this happened after I installed some drivers for the video card as well and it destroyed my fps.

[edit] I just tried the level with all the sith in it and I got 40-60 fps with full settings

I have had only minor issues with the demo...a few crashes when loading savegames after dying, but nothing REALLY inconvenient.

I DID have some areas of low framerate on the Chandrila level, but that is too be expected on a HUGE map with TONS of enemies, not to mention fog effects.

Originally posted by DarkLord60

I got the Geforce FX 5900 and it gave 10FPS faster in some games but image quality failed big time so I got the ATI radeon 9800 PRO 256MB

With your config you should be running it at 200 FPS :). at

least :). You'll probably be running HL2 at 100 FPS.

Archived