Home

How can we improve The Harbor? An open invitation for an informal chat....

RoyTordesLegend

Hi all. Moderators - feel free to move this post to the feedback centre if you think that is more appropriate.

Right then guys, after hardly posting for a few weeks due to an unreliable connection, I come back and notice there's some debate on the effect The Harbor has on the MI forums.

I'd like it if we could all have a friendly chat with no user/moderator arguments, and come up with some constructive ideas on how to improve things, make The Harbor a better place, and get more involvment in the on-topic MI forums.

My own initial input to get the ball rolling is that I'd like to see:-

1) More imagination in posts

2) The feel-good factor to return, people to be friendly to each other at all times, and encourage the less imaginative or popular poster to develop their skills rather than simply ignoring or picking fault with their posts

3) Fewer unamaginitve posts, ie film/music/game recommendations or reviews

4) No "Hi - I'm back" posts unless the person in question has been away for months and months, and/or has an interesting tale to tell - maybe the title of the post could be something more interesting in these circumstances

Obviously you may feel different - but lets get some ideas out in the open....

It's hard to keep the sarcasm down in this thread, but I'm going to try.

Personally, I think we need more new, inventive people. I like to think of myself as an example...

When the scummbar went down, I saw the link to "Our Forums." I gave it a look, and saw that it was good. Now, posting on these forums is a regular thing for me. I know that one of my personal friends saw the link too, and became a member.

The problem MAY BE that people have trouble finding their way here....or it's not likely that they would, without searching for "Monkey Island Forums." I have many friends that I have introduced to Monkey Island, and they loved it with a passion. If such people could hop on these forums and give it a go, they could input their thoughts 'n such to the harbor.

I think I'll give them a call now.....try to bring them into the world we love.

hmmmm.. that is a good idea roy.. and to directly come on topic here.. i fully support your points 1, 2, 3 .. and 4 :)

a drink or two, fun, fights, games and free discussion about real or forum life.. that is what the harbor should be like.. as i see it the harbor in some way had/should have the character of the scumm bar..

i mean monkey island basically is a FUNNY, HUMOROUS GAME with some dark and spooky elements and it seemed to me the harbor was founded on that basic ideas of the game..

;)

I've gotta wonder what peoples opinions on things like this are:

Originally posted by pHILBRUSH (in some other thread)

I am the most P***ED OFF PERSON IN THE wORld!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tekken 4 is the crapieist flucked up game in the fcucklin' WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from now on I need to play it in a room with loads of smashable things so that i can put the controller in a vase and SMASH IT!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Is this what The Harbor should contain? Does this sort of activity promote new readers? Well, new readers of a type anyone would want to talk to? Just curious.

Hi Jake,

With the most possible respect, could we avoid pointing fingers and naming names? It's this sort of thing that aggravates people, and turns posts into slanging matches.

Deleting the post altogether and sending a private message and/or email to pHILBRUSH, letting him know that we love having him as a member, would would rather he steered away from such outbursts of emotion with his * key;)

....anyway, I'm with Groovy regards the free Whiskey and women!!!!!:)

this is like deja vu all over again. I tried doing something similar, several times, with the RSN forums, and guess what. the only thing different was that people would post something to the effect that they knew they were doing something i didn't like right after they did said thing.

closing threads causes more of a **** storm than does any good, and trying to enforce your philosophy of what a forum should be is ultimately futile.

Originally posted by Kjølen

We could use an Administrator watchng over us again, too keep members AND moderators. Metallus and Zero left us. ;___;.

We're lonely for powerful people. XD

ooh yeah, bring back meat-allus. and dinghy (mt. blanc) if he's still around.

If you suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners corrupted from infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded, sire, but that you first make thieves and then punish them?

The mods educated the harbor from the very start to be spammy, it always was spammy, but the *mods* never did anything about it, until it was too late. Maybe if they did their job from the start then none of this would have happened...

Of course, like I said somewhere else, I liked it better when it was just the old escapemi.com forums which wasn't part of this lucas forums thing.

Originally posted by Ikhnaton

closing threads causes more of a **** storm than does any good, and trying to enforce your philosophy of what a forum should be is ultimately futile.

Nobody is trying to enforce a philosophy, just try and introduce some catalysts for good natured chat......

For example the mods getting their heads together and agreeing NOT to insult people on the forums would be a start and would cut down on flame wars, bad feeling, walkouts etc.....

Encouraging imaginative posting, but not banning poorly thought out or repetive posts would be a good thing.....

....everyone, mods, admins and users going out of their way to welcome new users and make them feel special......

From my side of things it's mainly the public insults from mods that gets my goat. This may not be a paid job, and we may not be customers, but I still stick by what I said, that we should be treated like 'customers', and hence should receive good customer service. The customer is always right - and thats why the MI forums are dying......trust me, get the mod/user relationship right and things will look rosier.......

Who would actually be against the death of the harbor? I mean think about it, the only moderating you actually don't like is the stuff we do in the harbor, and the harbor is the main reason loads of people stay away from here. So kill it, its only purpose was for mi fans to not talk about mi, you can do that in just about any other forum in LF. So how about it. Or are you all too scared about losing your precious post counts?

We could of course bring it back anew, and start enforcing the law from the start. Ideas.

I think that would be a bit like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

I think the Harbor can be made to work in it's current state as long as all the rules that are to be enforced from this point on are made explicitly clear to everyone. People are bound to be a bit bewildered and upset when you announce that "Welcome-Back" and "Farewell"-type threads are against the rules when they were never a problem in the past and only after you've closed a bunch of them out of the blue.

Make a sticky thread with all the regulations that folks are expected to obey.

Make sure there's not even a hint of an apperarance of favoritism towards some users and/or "singling-out" certain other users for specific abuse.

Perhaps that was never the intention in the case of Ray and Natty,.. but that's sure as hell the way it came across to a lot of people. It had every appearance of "We have decided that these are the type of folks we don't like here, and we are going to do everything in our power to offend them to the point where they go away."

Sorry guys,.. but all these people posting here now are your user base. You should be working with them to get the Harbor to a point you can live with using the folks who are right here, right now,.. and not be trying to set things up to work with a group of theoretical users who just might come and be the community of your dreams if the Harbor was only different.

I think that means the mods need to appear to be a little more open, less cynical, sarcastic and jaded, and a little more willing to go the extra mile to work with the folks who are already here and who have chosen to make this place thier home on the Web.

Originally posted by Natty

Replace the mods except for Neil. He's the only person with any brains.

Meaning you'd want me moderating the entire mi discussion forums? No, doesn't work like that. as it is, it's only me and gabez and even now hardly any moderating is happening (the closing of that i'm back thread was the first piece closed thread in the harbor in months, elsewhere, the closings were more justified). Also, gabez hasn't actually done anything wrong apart from grow to hate you all (and probably even me, I don't really know)

And I would like to say that another mod would be handy (someone you could be confident would make a difference, not like that phoney other guy, kneel or something :p ) but it would be hard to find, it would have to be an mi regular who is sensible, we got a lot of sensible people here, and a lot of regulars, but...

So really, we're here at a stand still with everyone hating each other. Is this the best forum or what?

I'm getting that feeling as well, it's not so much fear, but i'm just downed when I come here now, I know there's going to be royal bashings around the place directed at me and me friends (remi and benny, yep, I consider them pretty decent people, even if you guys don't). But we all know why there's a bad vibe so i'm not going to go into it.

IKE! WHat are you doing here? You agree with us, YOU be our powerful person, we'd love you. =D

@Neil - No closing the Harbor, too many first LucasForums memories here. It's like erasing your childhood. Not good.

@Natty - YOU! STAY! :D *Huggles*

@Everyone else - Lets pretend nothings wrong and go back to being a happy forum.

If people just tried to understand the mods instead of flipping out and being immature about it, it would sure make it a better place.

Leaving or saying stupid things like "You power tripping a-holes!" doesn't help, infact it's a step backwards. Leaving insightful, calm posts like "I don't agree with this because...." is a better idea.

Archived