Home

What's Better? Dual Sabers, Saberstaff, or Single Saber (Spoilers)

poochi

saber staff or heavy single. the rest simply don't match up. these two are the most "solid" of stances. it's hard to punch through them - especially with weaker stances, and their penetration is superior to other stances. the dual sabers do have decent blocking, but their lack the power to break through with enough frequency to be useful. in addition, turning off one saber gives you light stance, easily the most useless.

in a competitive environment, you don't want variety, you want the best and you want it consistently. the saberstaff also gives you the kicks, which are dangerous to use, but effective when they hit.

i think, however, that the importance of this issue may have been overstated somewhat. the largest determinant in who wins is skill, period. saber and force choice do play a part, but if you havent got the skill to back it up, there's no point.

suspect that the double and dual saber will cost you something to use in MP - whether that be points to buy force powers, or reduced weaponry, I don't know. Why I think this, is because Raven seems to be aware of the new saber's superiority as you get them late in the game. A shot in the dark, yes, but hopefully this will be the case if the weapons indeed are this unbalanced.

You do make a valid point here C'jais, however I still have to disagree.

For one thing, check out Fast (blue) stance, it has unlimited spins! How is this anymore unbalanced giving this stance unlimited chains than the dual/double?

Also, check out the DFA, you can spin 360 degrees with it just like in JK2 before the patches. Plus, I've heard people say that the Strong stance feels "Faster" than before.

Granted, they have said they want to make SP and MP closer than ever in JA, but minor tweaks may still occur that drastically change the gameplay in favor of balance.

The final point I wanted to make about your comments is about this part.

Raven seems to be aware of the new saber's superiority as you get them late in the game.

This would be a very strong point, however haven't we also heard that you will gain new stances later in the game?

For all we know, you will be earning the new sabers around the time you earn your last new stance, so it may be considered equivalent (I would assume if you did progress stance-wise, it would be Medium, Fast, and then Strong... and it has been confirmed officially that Medium is the starting stance, though in the demo you could pick any one stance to use right off the bat).

If this were the case, then it would be no problem in MP even if it were identical gameplay wise.

Dual & Double sabers infinite chaining? No problem, you've got the unlimited chains in the Fast Stance. Cheap moves? No problem, you've got the spinning DFA o' Doom. ; )

Yes, there would be a disadvantage if somebody only put on Saber Attack 1 (so they had Fast Stance only) and took on a SaberStaff/Dual Sabers user, but in a Duel situation, wouldn't a person be foolish to do that? The real strength of the Single saber is the sheer variety of moves available to you.

It would make sense to have the force points for Saber Attack Level 3 (which gave you all three stances in JK2 and probably will here as well) also be enough for a Dual or Saberstaff.

As I said before, I'ma go with the staff, I won't care if it's the noob choice.

Single saber is nice, but I know it and won't want to use it for a longer time.

For the dualsabers: I like them too, but I can get it on better with the staff.

And I'd use staff in duels too...even if that meant loosing...

And I won't act like 'taht uber killa g0su DaRtH mAuL', I'ma act like Kun -.-

I have a newb question. With the saber staff, if you turn off one of the blades, and make it the single saber, are you unable to do the kata's for the single blade? I've tried and i can't get it to work. Same for dual sabers. And has anyone noticed how hard it is with single blade on meduim style. On light, its much easier.

In this demo I felt like I had an easier time with the doublebladed (am I the only one to use that term?) then with any other. I do love the dual sabers though, and that has always been a dream for me, to fight dual. And NO, I'm NOT an Anakin wannabe. I wanted to fight dual sabers even before Ep2. :p

Even though a few JO mods made this possible, it didn't feel like you had the strength of two sabers, rather one and a quarter.

I don't know if I did something wrong or so, but I only had one stance with singlebladed, but perhaps it's supposed to be that way in the demo. With strong I (and probably you too) was weak on the Tatooine level. With fast I was weak on the Chandrila (or whatever it's called) level. Medium was the only versatile enough to use unless you can switch between the three.

Anyways, I'll use dual sabers, no matter what you will, even if it means I'll get cut to pieces in 99 duels of 100.

Originally posted by Master William

If you were being sarcastic, then you should know that if you knew how to use fast or medium stance, you could dominate strong stance. I almost never lost against a red stance with those, especially medium, I kept wooping the ass out of the red-stancers.

So did I - Don't think I don't know what I'm talking about.

But even though you *could* kill good heavies with medium or fast, it was so painfully obvious which stances were given an unfair advantage. An advantage which can be somewhat negated by skill, but still an advantage for which there's no logical justification.

Kurgan, I'm aware that fast stance has unlimited chain, and that the strong stance's silly DFA is back with a vengeance, but why did they have to shaft the medium stance once again to make this happen? I don't see the reason at all.

Even though the greedy part of me wants to see the single saber have kicks as well, I can envision why that might set off a spam fest without equal.

But, no matter - whining about it here won't change a thing, and I guess I should just get on with the adaptation alright.

Perhaps when you get to choose either single, dual or double is when you obtain the full 3 stances for single, and halfway between then and the start of the game you gain one of them. You'd probably get to choose.

It would make sense that that happens, seeing as the neutral force powers progress naturally.

although saber combat may be the similar in MP and SP, that doesn't mean the moves will be. remember in JO, you could rotate your lunge and DFA in SP, but not in MP (after 1.02 anyway). JA could witness the MP toning down of several moves as well.

and karl, with one of the dual sabers turned on, you can do the light stance lunge. all other special moves are disabled when only one blade of the dual/staff sabers is turned on.

im really looking forward to testing out multiplayer gameplay. i think the ability to kick with the staff will make it the best weapon, and failing that, the single saber in my opinion.

i think that the dual sabers just dont work as well as the other options. perhaps if they removed throw when using duel sabers, instead allowing primary and secondary fire to each control a different saber ... that would make saber combat incredibly interesting, and true control over sabers would be something that not many people had. it would open up so many more options for saber combat, and make games a lot more interesting i think.

-Jedi:

-I'm going for double sabers...I know I've wanted to before Boc's two blades (That's for all the older Jedi Knight players), but I think that if you like the saberstaff, then go with it. If you're awesome with it, then you'll really stand out. Since we've marked the staff as the n00b weapon, it stands to reason that there will be fewer experts with that weapon. So, if you put in the time, and become really good, you'll be more highly revered. Plus, just imagine some poor idiot walking up to you, thinking you're new at this, only to be skewered by your blade.

-Ignorance MAY BE bliss in life, but it's sure not in JA.

-Best of luck...

for saber/vs/saber i prefer to use the two lightsabers.

for for saber/vs/guns i prefer to use the single lightsaber on FAST.

for saber/vs/lots of enemies i prefer the staff.

i used to love medium stance in jk2. but it seems way too slow now, and dont get me started on the uselessness of strong stance now.

but for cheap effective killing, i just use the force. no need for a lightsaber except to block an odd shot, grip/push/pull are all thats needed (though that life stealing one looks very cool too)

is anybody else addicted to spawning rodians just to pull/baseball bat them over and over?

Archived