Home

The Last Express...

Jony,

It sure was a masterpiece though, wasn't it? Well, at least you can take heart in that you can play it through several more times (if you haven't already) and you can do things and see things differently than the first time... There's basically no way to play it straight through once and absorb even half of what is going on, because so many events are taking place simultaneously on the train...

Originally posted by Skinny Minnie

Jony,

It sure was a masterpiece though, wasn't it? Well, at least you can take heart in that you can play it through several more times (if you haven't already) and you can do things and see things differently than the first time... There's basically no way to play it straight through once and absorb even half of what is going on, because so many events are taking place simultaneously on the train...

ah...what you are remind me of :cool:

even in the fourth time i plaied the game i heard new dialogues ;)

Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of games that are masterpieces like The Last Express. But there are other games that delve a lot into history.

I recommend you check out the Gabriel Knight series. Lots of history involved, especially in 2 and 3.

Also check out Titanic: Adventure Out of Time, Byzantine: The Betrayal, The Journeyman Project series and Broken Sword 1. I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I can think of that have a major historical slant off the top of my head.

Yes I've played the Last Express several times, and really evertime it just feels different. I haven't played it for years, so I maybe I will play it again soon....anyway I though about Gabril Knight 2. It kinda feels like the Last Express, now I just have to find it from somewhere...

Titanic: Adventure Out of Time is probably the closest thing to Last Express. It takes place in a confined area, lots of things are going on at the same time, it involves a lot of historical events, and there are a lot of memerable characters.

What seems most interesting to me about Last Express, though, isn't its historical context (which IS interesting), but rather its real-time elements, which are almost unheard of in adventures. Are there are other games that utilize such a system or one similar?

Originally posted by Kingzjester

Gabriel Knight 1 and 3 are better - or such is the general concensus on this here our board.

Thats not my consensus. :)

Jony, if you are going to get a GK you might as well start at the begining with 1. Or just go ahead and buy all three, I haven't seen anyone come away disappointed from the series. Your best bet to find them is on ebay.

And to second MrDunn, Titanic is probabally the closest to Last Express(confined setting and takes place around the same time frame) Don't let the title turn you off; it's a really good game.

Christina: There are things I absolutely loathe in both GK1 and 2 (acting, music).

I have never played the Last Express, but I heard that in that game the world is more "realistic" - as in Gabriel Knight 3, a game I love. I'd personally recommend GK3 instead of almost any other adventure game in the entire universe. GK3 has little bits of history in the storyline - well quite a lot in fact.

I agree with recommendations for GK3; it's a very rich story embedded in the rich history of the real world Rennes-Le-Cheatau mystery (though set modern day). GK2 is also very good history wise; though most of it is brought out through reading museum exhibits in game.

Broken Sword 1 (Shadow of the Templars; aka Circle of Blood) is also an excellent adventure; again a rich story embedded in real world history; specifically surrounding the Knights Templar.

Both these games are amazing adventure games; two of the few games in the same league as The Last Express. But they are quite different to TLE and sadly TLE is unique as everyone has said; such a pity.

(go on Adventure company; pick up jordan mechnar; he's only working as a consultant on the Prince of Persia games now whereas he is a glorious adventure maker :D Ah well, worth a try)

I Disagree about Gabriel Knight 3. It really has the best controls i have seen. But it's story has problems...It's worked really well, and it is a Jane Jensen of course ;) , but that end ruins everything. The whole game builts on making you feel you are taking place into a mysterie of out world (as in all the Gabrile Knights) and at the end it ruins up a alot making you not even caring about what happens...like an alien world...

I say better play Gabriel Knight 1 first;)

GK1 has speech and captions -- unless, i think, you end up with a floppy disk version (which are very rare).

my personal opinion is that GK2 is the best of the series. however, GK3 might be more what you're looking for since it takes place in real-time (like TLE).

-emily

Originally posted by pleto4_ryan

I Disagree about Gabriel Knight 3. It really has the best controls i have seen. But it's story has problems...It's worked really well, and it is a Jane Jensen of course ;) , but that end ruins everything. The whole game builts on making you feel you are taking place into a mysterie of out world (as in all the Gabrile Knights) and at the end it ruins up a alot making you not even caring about what happens...like an alien world...

I really couldn't disagree anymore. I'm not sure whether you refer to the endgame portion or the ending of the plot, but either way I disagree. The endgame portion makes perfect sense in context, and isn't like an "alien world". The pendulum puzzle was a bit of a pain, but really not that bad in the big scheme of things. And as far as the ending goes, I found it to be one of the most amazing endings in any game ever. It's one of the few endings that have made me go "HOLY CRAP!" It was quite excellent.

Originally posted by Egarthen

It's one of the few endings that have made me go "HOLY CRAP!"

Yep, me too

"HOLY CRAP, WAS THAT ALL ALONG, ......boring"

same stories has been told millions of times, Jane has managed to keep an integrity to the whole plot and make it interesting (enought) but the ending (for me) was like a balloon, it just lost its air all of a sudden...

and also, i hated the "destiny" of the Shatenjagers. It was really bad...Gabriel existed just FOR THAT?

Originally posted by pleto4_ryan

Yep, me too

"HOLY CRAP, WAS THAT ALL ALONG, ......boring"

same stories has been told millions of times, Jane has managed to keep an integrity to the whole plot and make it interesting (enought) but the ending (for me) was like a balloon, it just lost its air all of a sudden...

and also, i hated the "destiny" of the Shatenjagers. It was really bad...Gabriel existed just FOR THAT?

Wow. Uhh... not even sure how to respond to that. Personally, I think it's a big deal that

Jesus Christ himself dictated the future of the entire familial line. Which, by the way, wasn't JUST for the Rennes les Chateau thing. It was, and will continue to be, the hunting of supernatural evil. Jesus merely said that at one point, this would aid him.

I can't think of a single story like that. But maybe I'm just not well read.

actually

Jesus wasn't Jesus. Well, it wasn't the son of god, but just a human being with many superficial powers dew to his time of birth...he was the chosen of another cult. And he decided to "be" jesus chirst, play the role, play the role of god and get power over the minds of the others. Actually the whole thing of Jesus and the "behind story" was a subject of many people-writers-artists. The whole thing that got me "angry-somehow" is that the Shattenjagers are in existence only because of the BIG-esteem of a guy who wanted to play it god....

and even if Jane has left Jesus be real jesus. The thing that Shatenjagers are God's hand is SO *puff*...

I hate when artists use God as the answer because it isn't an answer, it's an escape plan, as by putting god into the plot, the whole idea becomes supernatural and not explaining god but just accepting....

Archived