Home

Jedi Academy Demo...It just seems sort of "meh"

Giolon

Well the JK2 Demo didn't even feature levels from the game, they were sorta thrown together afterwards to make a demo. What scares me is that these levels appear to be part of the actual final product.

I guess it's just me, but I wasn't too impressed by the demo. If I could get it for around $30 I would pick it up, but this game certainly doesn't scream BUY ME! at the full retail price of $50. It's just too rough. Maybe I'll wait and see what the reviews say first then I'll decide.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rrrr... I hate when the AI cheats
The fact that an AI can do moves that one cannot, doesn't quite qualify as "cheating". Personally I think an endless series of bots that can only do what I can do, is tedium incarnate.

It still has the same MUSIC even....
That must be sarcasm.

The demo is excellent, it has inspired me to camp outside my local software retailer until release day.

J'accuse those that don't like the demo. they're silly, and they should all go and boil their extremities. Here's hoping that all the boring, whingeing wet blankets stay well away from the retail version, and leave it all to me... I mean us.

Originally posted by ASk

The game does not have the "wow" effect that JK2 caused. It feels like a more polished version of JediMod, but that's about it. I can't say that it's a bad game, but it's definitely more of the same, and new features are purely graphical...

The demo fails to provide a few features that we know are gonna be there... for one multiplayer and two vehicles. I too must agree it lacks the wow effect, but it does offer enough to me that it is more then an expansion. The option of customability and proggression is great. In the GameSpot journals it talks of deciding between the sith and the jedi, that is pretty complex story and devlops by the way you play the game.

I know that i will buy the game for sure and then make my final veridict. If it delivers what it promises it will be great.

Originally posted by Rassick

Anyone else think the run up the wall was hard to do? Unless the wall was very tall, Jaden would always do the wall grab no matter what. :confused:

It's all in timing. You hafta press Jump JUST before you hit the wall, so your run doesn't get interrupted ^_~

What's REALLY hard to do is long jump. You have to push Force run, then Jump a millisecond after that, and remember to be holding down W...then be sure not to get hit in midair or be distracted by the (admittedly cool-looking) camera-rotating thingy ;)

Things that frustrate me terribly in JA....

Wall jump ( Where you run up the wall or kick off the wall ala JO)...it was dumb imo. It should have been double tap just like JO, and double tap + HOLD for continous running.

DFA - Easy but I prefer the way it was done in JO, not the catering to newbies version.

Thats all : )

I found the demo very impressive (once I got it working), but the main thing that bugs me is the Rodian and Kel Dor voices. I play as the Rodian, and it sounds EXTREMELY frustrating. I hope this is just a demo thing, cause I don't think that the game makers would be that stupid to give the Rodian a human's voice. Another thing is that there was no Rodian head that suited me. They all looked too... exotic and unlike the Rodians in the movies. Although these are probably the heads used in the final version, I hope someone could add the generic NPC Rodian head to the selection.

What's wrong with catering to newbies?

There's nothing wrong with it, but a lot of us have gotten used to the way acrobatics are done in JO. I think double tapping a wall, as long as your close enough is easier than timing it imo. Lag issues will probably come in to play as well, more than likely meaning you'll miss the correct timing of the jump in multiplayer at times.

As far as specials go, I feel that some level of difficulty is appropriate. I loved the way it was done in JO, and now its like...bah! But thats just me.

You'll get used to it.

Every new game has new things to learn. What, did you expect everything to be just like JK2?

First you guys want it to be totally different, because it shouldn't be an "expansion" then you want it all the same because you don't like change. Make up your minds! =)

Yeah, like when you use the double / duel sabers, the "twirlies" :D were very easy to do. I also like to keep the wall back flip to double click. We are all used to it now. Like Obi-Wan X said. The wall climb seemed kinda hard but it's all timing and everything. Hopefully I'll get it down.

Another thing that was difficult was the long jump as Redwing already pointed out. You have to stop first then then hit speed then forward and jump. I can never do it on the run, I just do a normal jump and fall to my death. It just seems more logical to do a long jump from a running start :rolleyes:

I was also trying to work on my consistancy with the moves but I can never do the cartwheel consistantly. I also can't get the duel sabers to do the split stab (front/back) (left/right) maybe it is just me. Yes I know enemies have to be on both sides but still. I got the kicks going for the duel blade though. The round house is tight! I never used the jump kick though.

I was a bit disappointed with the single sabers. I think one of the "perks" to having the single blade should be adding the kicks for them and/or some Qui-Gon fist action :) but at least the kicks. Oh well. The Kata moves are tight though. :D

Originally posted by TK8252MJL

but the main thing that bugs me is the Rodian and Kel Dor voices. I play as the Rodian, and it sounds EXTREMELY frustrating. I hope this is just a demo thing, cause I don't think that the game makers would be that stupid to give the Rodian a human's voice.

Don't worry, just wait for my "Jamaican Rodian Mod" Coming for Jedi Academy. What you hear before is:

"I guess I should keep following the beacons."

But now, you get

"Aah guess aah shud keep followin' da beecons, maahn."

Pssst- This is a joke!

Although if I find a good Jamaican voice actor, I might throw this together, just for the heck of it.

Now that ive the demo a few more times, I have some different opinons.

Lightsaber with three stances ( ala JO) is balanced as far as vs Lightstaff.

Dual sabers are pretty weak...but if you perfect them you should be pretty good.

I think everything balances out nicely now. I just dont like the way running up the wall and such is done! ARGHHH...its one of my only beefs now :)

Originally posted by Rassick

Anyone else think the run up the wall was hard to do? Unless the wall was very tall, Jaden would always do the wall grab no matter what. :confused:

I kept trying to do it in the second level. Since the keyword is 'try', you can guess what happened if you've played that level.

I'm wondering if your saber type makes a difference, what with the different stances each weapon has.

I've only played a little bit of the demo, but I've had a blast so far. I don't intend to complete the levels, because I want to save that for the full version. But I have played around with the different lightsaber stances, and I like what I've seen so far.

For me this game is what I was looking for. It takes the fun elements of JO and gives you more options and moves. The graphics are also improved. I'm not disappointed at all that it isn't a completely different game, because that is what I want.

But for those of you who weren't too happy with the demo, now you know that you shouldn't get this game. And you didn't have to spend a penny to find out :)

I have to agree that this game is just 'meh' as you said. I think someone hit the nail on the head when they wrote that this game was more like an expansion pack then a new game. Same **** new box.

Basically Raven stole JediMod cleaned it up a little and charged us the full price. Same music (at times) same graphics (exactly the same) same gameplay as v1.04 JO (mistake IMHO) and far worse in the screen that lead up to the game play. This game is at most on par with JO but in reality it seems like a small step back.

Originally posted by Destino

I have to agree that this game is just 'meh' as you said. I think someone hit the nail on the head when they wrote that this game was more like an expansion pack then a new game. Same **** new box.

That's fair enough. But some of us don't want a completely new game, since JO had a lot of elements that we enjoyed. Having those elements included in JA is not a bad thing, IMO. If you are looking for something completely different, you will certainly be disappointed :)

Basically Raven stole JediMod cleaned it up a little and charged us the full price.

Ridiculous.

Same music (at times)

You mean Star Wars music?

same graphics (exactly the same)

Not quite. There are many graphical improvements and new features (more detailed models, limited ragdoll physics, saber slash marks, etc.).

same gameplay as v1.04 JO (mistake IMHO)

Uh, 1.02, 1.03, and 1.04 were all the same in JO as far as SP was concerned. Plus there are more saberstyles and more special moves than in JO. How is the gameplay the same?

and far worse in the screen that lead up to the game play.

I happen to like it. But to each his own. :)

This game is at most on par with JO but in reality it seems like a small step back.

I really don't see how JA is a step back. It may not live up to your expectations of what the improvements should be, but I hardly think you can say that it is worse than JO...

But at least you got to find out that this game is not for you at no cost. With JO people had to buy it to find out if they liked it or not.

Prime is right, i mean no one said the game was going to be vastly different, but i think most of us can agree its better than jk2. I agree it can seem like an expansion pack but!.. didnt any of you guess it would be similar to jk2 when you saw a screenshot?? I mean it looks mostly the same but i already get a more star wars feel out of playing it.. So you make valid points, like an expansion pack it may be but a damn good one :D , with the new vehicles and multiplayer modes, better graphics, new sabers, new storyline and by the looks of it a great one. I almost cried when i finished jk2 and if you ever liked jk2 you would have felt the same, i wanted some more, i believe that ja can give me that as well as a hell of alot of nice extras, the gameplay also differs IMO, its different what with the new sabers and enemys. I agree with you people on some points but polished mod it is not, great game it is, yes great game.:syoda:

Archived