Home

JA demo - using the forces throws my saber! (minor spoilers)

frogbeastegg

I've just played through the JA demo a few times and loved it aside from one tiny problem - every time I use a force power my lightsabre gets thrown as well! This happens with every force power available in the demo and on all the sabre stances where you have access to the sabre throw move.

For example I get gripped by a Dark Jedi to break the grip I use push and bingo! a millisecond after the push is animated my sabre is thrown at the enemy. Another example is the areas where you need reveal, I active reveal and the sabre is thrown immediately. Then I need to use pull or push, I have to retrieve the sabre before the power will activate and once again the sabre goes flying when the power activates.

I am not hitting secondary attack by accident, nor have I double bound my fourth mouse button so what is going on? Is this a new feature, some kind of bug or a technical hitch of some kind? I really hope it's not a feature as it makes the force a liability rather than an aid (to continue my grip example from above I have a choice between getting gripped to death or throwing my sabre away and getting cut in two before I can get it back) and wastes large quantities of my force well.

Thanks BigMexican, when I'm using the sabre staff everything behaves like it did in the other Jedi Knight games - that is until I deactivate one of the blades to turn the staff into a regular sabre. At this point the problem returns, it's a bit of a shame it's not the other way around since kicking on using the force wouldn't be nearly as bad as throwing your sabre!

I'm downloading the demo again after deleting the first version from my PC; maybe a file got corrupted during the first download. If the problem persists then it is either a bug or a problem with the game not liking my mouse (Microsoft Intellimouse optical) and I shall contact Raven. At least I now know that it is not a game feature.

The problem is your mouse software.

My MS Intellimouse Optical uses Mouseware (or whatever its called) utility and it binds the mouse buttons to its own functions.

In JK2, I had bound my side mouse buttons to change saber style and select lightsaber respectively, but everytime I tried to change stance, I threw my saber.

Once I realized the problem, I went into my mouse utility and changed the side buttons to Page Up and Page Down, then went into JK2 and changed the functions for change style and select lightsaber to Page Up and Page Down... and haven't had a problem since.

The only thing is that when I'm surfing the 'net, I change the buttons back to their defaults so I can use the side buttons in my browser again. But it's a very simple process and only takes a few seconds.

I would suggest you try this solution...

Thanks Kurgan, I've adjusted my in game binds to:

mouse 1 = primary attack

mouse 2 = use force power

mouse 3 = change sabre stance

mouse 4 = secondary attack

mouse 5 = nothing

And everything works beautifully! Fortunately I didn't need to change my binds outside of the game and I just had some fun playing with the dual sabres. Now I'll be able to play without god mode again! :D

Archived