Home

Saberstaff way too good?

LordDragon13

I've tried all of them and here are my opinions on them :

Staff - Hold the mouse button down and you spin like Darth Maul on steroids, needs damage to be toned down.

Single - Rubbish, I just couldnt kill much really even with 1 year experience with Jedi Outcast, not changed at all really. :(

Dual Sabers - My favorite, actally needs to skill with aiming and attacking, looks the best defending and has the best taunt.

For those of you don't know how to taunt open the console and type :

Bind v taunt

hey all

first of all, Yes the staff is way too overpowered and im sad to say imho is the noob weapon. It is rediculas that it pretty much infinate spins. this with the combination that it has such speed and range makes it 'comparatively' overpowered. I think its a simple fix of enforcing combo breaks every 6 or so spins

on the second level on JM i found it so hilarious when versing those 3 guys and all i had to do was hold down the attack button and spin around my foes with my staff twirling and watched them helplessly fall like flies lol. its ridiculas. :rolleyes:

i do think that the specials with the staff are very cool, but the fact is using them is almost pointless as the standard spins are so overtonned that doing anything else seems mediocre.

duel sabers are very cool. i wasn't terribly good with them but they have awesome animation and actually require a thing us gamers call 'skill' lol.

as for red being 'uber', and results in servers using it most - i actually have no problem with it. after all, most jedi use single sabers anyway.... though i hope we don't get the old JO problem where duels are red verses red *shivers*

These people that claim the staff is overpowered are probly just really good with it, I didnt find it overpowered and I only died when I went up against three reborn at once, I could own the staff reborn with it, I think everything is balanced pretty well. I also gaurentee I can kill anyone with a lightstaff with strong stance, easy!!

Originally posted by Rockstar

first of all, Yes the staff is way too overpowered and im sad to say imho is the noob weapon. It is rediculas that it pretty much infinate spins. this with the combination that it has such speed and range makes it 'comparatively' overpowered. I think its a simple fix of enforcing combo breaks every 6 or so spins

Man, do we have to start the "overpowered" and "newb weapon" complaints already?

saberstaff - easy to learn, hard to master. sure, spamming attacks is easy, and yields half decent results, but to truly master the staff you need to be able to kick very well, something that isn't as easy as it sounds.

kicks inserted into combat at the right moment can easily give you the advantage. spamming them will just leave you dead.

Hm. I'm currently practicing on Jedi difficulty (The Jedi Knight and Jedi Master heal is just too weak... at least for now...)

Anyways, I've so far found single (all styles) to be decent. As you can only pick one stance with it in the demo though, the versatility it is supposed to have is lost. Probably will be used by fairly a lot of people methinks. Versatility is a good thing in any game mode.

+Versatile

-Nothing critical really

Staff is quite good. The twirling (crouch+forward+attack if you don't know it already) attack needs some slight damage reducing, but else it's okay by me. The kicking and slightly inaccurate swings makes it a weapon of many tactics will (I think) mostly be used by extreme n00bs and extreme experts.

+Easy to learn, kicking adds a nice touch of tactics.

-Hard to master (might be considered a + by some), no saber throw unless used as single bladed.

Dual is my favourite. Very much like medium style from JO on steroids. A little hard to aim, but is really much of a skill weapon, just like it should be. Eventually when you learn how the attacks are swung you can dish out lots of damage. Two lightsaber wounds hurt more than one after all. First time I used it on Chandrila I was cut to pieces. Now I cut the reborn to pieces.

+Stylish, decent damage and speed

-Slightly inaccurate, short range, few nice looking combos of blade colors (yellow-green, blue-green, yellow-orange are the only ones I've tried that looked good together plus both of same color. There might be some nice red combos, but we cannot try that in the demo. Sadly.)

Having Played through the demo Three times on the hardest difficaulty i have come the conclusions about the saber types.

Single Saber: Three Stances Rock.. making it much easier to take on many types of fighters... The Light Stance is great for mutli attackers and makes short work of them... The Med stance is great for just all a round fighting and its DFA is great... Now might just be me but i the heavy Stance works well..just not for me. Too slow u miss to often.

All in the The Single Saber is probly number 2 on my list

Duel Saber: Personaly I dont like the duel saber... its not orginized enough .. makes fighting muliti people hard.. its not moves dont always make sense... the plus side is better defence and cool lock moves.. Ie the stab move or the throw slash move..

Duel Sabers come in at last for me ...

Saberstaff: This Baby Makes fighting up to 5 Reborn Ninja's easier... the weapon just lends its self to grace and speed and good soild damage.. its got great defence and attack... Plus kicking and wall grabbing.

Problems with the saberstaff: Heavy Swings are going to break ur defence every time... duel sabers are little harder to fight..

But bottom line any one who gets good with ether is going to win. IE, if a Single on Heavy comes at the Staffer.. he isnt going ot try to dook it out with him head on.. No flip off the wall back flip over the guy and do a 360 slash... killing him or kick and down stab... experts will find ways around this.

Having Played through the demo Three times on the hardest difficaulty i have come the conclusions about the saber types.

Single Saber: Three Stances Rock.. making it much easier to take on many types of fighters... The Light Stance is great for mutli attackers and makes short work of them... The Med stance is great for just all a round fighting and its DFA is great... Now might just be me but i the heavy Stance works well..just not for me. Too slow u miss to often.

All in the The Single Saber is probly number 2 on my list

Duel Saber: Personaly I dont like the duel saber... its not orginized enough .. makes fighting muliti people hard.. its not moves dont always make sense... the plus side is better defence and cool lock moves.. Ie the stab move or the throw slash move..

Duel Sabers come in at last for me ...

Saberstaff: This Baby Makes fighting up to 5 Reborn Ninja's easier... the weapon just lends its self to grace and speed and good soild damage.. its got great defence and attack... Plus kicking and wall grabbing.

Problems with the saberstaff: Heavy Swings are going to break ur defence every time... duel sabers are little harder to fight..

But bottom line any one who gets good with ether is going to win. IE, if a Single on Heavy comes at the Staffer.. he isnt going ot try to dook it out with him head on.. No flip off the wall back flip over the guy and do a 360 slash... killing him or kick and down stab... experts will find ways around this.

Saberstaff is number 1 for me

Well, 2 saber Crouch+foward+attack move murders staffs, no arguments... SPinny nonstop moves are a problem? THATS WHAT FORCE POWERS ARE FOR!!!!

No, i am not a n00b, i can take slightly more then half people on this forum and beat the crap out of them...

Originally posted by Qaz

No, i am not a n00b, i can take slightly more then half people on this forum and beat the crap out of them...

Er, forgive my insolence, but how can you not be a n00b? The demo's only been out since Friday and it's only two levels. What are you basing that "slightly more than half" judgement on, anyway? Sounds rather precise for somebody with a grand total of four posts here. :rolleyes:

I think this is simple. If you even seriously tried to play JK2 MP or JK2 on Jedi Knight you learned quickly that Strong style was simply the best. On the easier skill levels any saber hit does so much damage that of course light is the best (and I'd argue against multiple people w/o sabers on King of the Hill MP light/medium was good) but in serious saber vs saber fights the best is unquestionably Strong. If you didnt take the time to read some FAQs and move lists for any saber style then you just might have missed out on what it has to offer. In the end I found that opening a 1v1 saber duel with a rolling stab (light) then quickly switching to strong for the overhead shot was the best way to go.

All this pertains only to JK2 though, I'm playin the demo and trying to get a feel for it but w/o playing against humans (damn you Lucasarts, couldn't give us one stinkin MP level?) i can't really tell.

(Edit note: also I'm refering to reborn vs Kyle in SP. For storm troopers etc you can use what ever you want and it'll work)

Princess, what i meant was that I wasn't born yesterday to Jedi Outcast and beyond, I know my saberfighting in multiplayer, and My low post count can provide some trigger-happy flamers with "n00b", or i am getting the CnC generals board syndrome:(

My favorite is the dual sabers.

The saber staff is a weapon that any noob can take and start killing npc saber wielders, but a more powerful and skilled enemy will kill him easily (I've taken a careful look at that move and I see that it's weak point is a properly timed diagonal-upwards slash). A trained dual saber user has just as much power as an equally trained staff user.

I didn't like the single saber. It kept flying out of my hand.

Originally posted by master_thomas

My favorite is the dual sabers.

The saber staff is a weapon that any noob can take and start killing npc saber wielders, but a more powerful and skilled enemy will kill him easily (I've taken a careful look at that move and I see that it's weak point is a properly timed diagonal-upwards slash). A trained dual saber user has just as much power as an equally trained staff user.

I didn't like the single saber. It kept flying out of my hand.

im assuming that "that move" was the twirly thing? in which case, it's easy to spot the weakness, hard to compensate then for the opponents ability to move in after you've completed your strike and hit you with the rest of the twirl (the overhead bit, possible headshot?).

and a more powerful and skilled enemy will kill anyone regardless of what weapons both are using :)

Well cant really say for sure till we get to try out some MP, but seem liek sabers are fairly balenced.

as we have people from each saber type saying that the other are over powerdd/noob weapon.

normally one ever one complain about what the others have its a sign that things are pretty even :)

Archived