Home

Advantages/Disadvantages of each saber type?

Echelon15

Single Saber + 3 Stances = What you get from JO, a very balanced and useful weapon that can stand up to anything

Lightstaff: What a weapon, nicely controlled and was nicely done imo. Can be deadly when close...

Dual Sabers: Low damage and hard to control imo. A weapon that takes training to use...unless you button smash.

So i'm feelin good about single saber and lightstaff...but I need to look a bit more closer at dual sabers to come up with a true decision.

Im where you are there Obi, I can't get good with the dual sabers but I like that, I'm glad I can't get good with them, shows that this game is awesome!! And that it will take time to master one of the three to beat the other two.

Great thing is it requires different styles of fighting and approach on the players part to fight the different saber weilders cause they attack differently. Well thats what I found.

Let's see, this is just what I noticed from the precious little amount I've played the single player demo:

Single Saber: we already know most of the moves, and its good for mixing things up.. ie: the same moves with different speeds and amounts of damage. We get "cheap-o" moves like the DFA's and the Lunge.

This will also be better in situations where targetting is critical (ie: not hitting allies or civilians).

When you throw the saber, you're wide open to attack. But at least you can throw it anytime, anywhere, so long as you allocated something to the power.

Dual Sabers: great for dealing lots of damage to close in targets. Better blocking coverage potential and more protection when you're throwing the saber (you can still block). Interesting move where your two sabers orbit your body (risky though). Cheap-o moves like stabbing in two directions at once.

Due to the wild spinning, there is less precision, and so it can be easier to accidentally hit allies and civilians.

You can turn one off to use Fast stance, but you don't get to use the Lunge.

Saberstaff: lots of flashy moves and such with can hit people all around you. unfortunately these moves also tend to leave you open to attack if you "miss" so you'll have to get the timing just right and not accidentally pull off the wrong one in a bad spot.

You can do all sorts of kicks (the trade off is you can't saber throw).

The kicks can toss your enemies around, but don't seem to do a lot of damage, and they leave you vulnerable.

To throw the saber, you have to turn off one blade, and you're exposed while you throw it. You can then use Medium stance while the one blade is off (but you can't do the yellow DFA).

Much easier to accidentally hit civilians and allies with this one.

Note: I've spent most of my time with JA using the Dual Sabers, so I might be a little biased at this point. ; )

I've only played about 15 mintues of the demo, but all styles seem to have their uses. As someone who likes the good old single lightsaber, I'm happy to find so far that I don't feel cheated or under powered. I'll probably get a better feel soon, but my initial impressions are good.

I found that the staff was the way to go for beginners...

I tried the dual sabers first, but I kept getting beaten around in the second demo level. With the staff you could just walk through enemies... one blade would knock their saber out of the way so the other could slash. That almost seems like cheating to me, the staff is supposed to be harder than a single blade, but its almost easier.

I tried the dual again when I learned how to move better, and found that its pretty good when you learn to control your moves... you can do a nice side-spin with one saber over your head and the other at waist level... tough to block both.

And you can throw the staff if you turn off one of the blades. I really like the fact that you can do that if you need to with both the staff and dual sabers... if you have an ally nearby, using only one blade means less chance of an accident like Kurgan was talking about.

I think Im best skilled with single but thats probably cause I played JO alot. Ive picked up alright with staff, I beat Chandrilla on Jedi Master with staff and it wasnt all that hard surprisingly. I ripped up those Dark Jedi in seconds. It seems that staff is the easiest to win with. I hope it doesnt become the lucky noob weapon. :(

Im not very good with dual though. They seem to have good defense like Kurgan explained but its harder to hit targets with them than the single or staff. Either they take the most skill to learn or theyre the worst of the 3.

I think Raven did an excellent job with the sabers cause you can tell that there is no best one. Its all about style and preference.

the opinions below are just that, opinions! im writing as if they're fact, but feel free to dispute them :) they're based on what i've seen in the demo, reviews, trailers, and on these forums.

Single Saber: people say that this weapon's versatility is an advantage, i'd say it was a disadvantage. with so many moves, you'd be tempted to try using some of them, which will just get you killed. medium stance is ok, as long as you know what's going on, and are only fighting one on one. fast stance is useless, it cant break through defenses, and gets knocked aside by almost any attack.

strong is a good option. you have the moves of the other stances available, and using them at select times is fine, otherwise don't deviate from heavy, you simply won't be able to block a button mashing multiple-blade wielder.

basically single is good because it has strong, and bad because it has fast.

Dual (two) Sabers: kind of like fast stance, but with better blocking. you'll have a hard time breaking through a solid defense, but at least you'll have a solid one yourself. if you have quick reflexes this might be for you, however don't expect to be able to overpower many other players with these. precision and speed are the trademarks of a good dual saber user.

the special moves are fairly obsolete at a highly competitive level, so concentrate on basic slashes and chaining combo's. unfortunately you can't kick with these, otherwise i think they'd be a good choice.

Saberstaff: very solid defense and penetration, can easily batter away lighter defenses. the strokes seem to be more deliberate and powerful, kind of like strong stance. speed isnt as critical with this stance, it has more of a tactical nature to it, knowing which move to use when.

again, the special moves don't have much to offer, they're simple combinations of kicks and slashes, or the twirl, neither of which offers a clear advantage over a strong opponent.

the kicks are this stance's biggest asset, and add a whole new dimension to saber combat. they make fighting multiple enemies a lot easier, and should an opponent be slow recovering from one, offer an opportunity to quickly end the duel with a downward stab.

they're my thoughts, anyway, based mostly on speculation :) feel free to tell me im full of crap, because most likely i am :)

Originally posted by BigMexican

Single Saber: people say that this weapon's versatility is an advantage, i'd say it was a disadvantage. with so many moves, you'd be tempted to try using some of them, which will just get you killed. medium stance is ok, as long as you know what's going on, and are only fighting one on one. fast stance is useless, it cant break through defenses, and gets knocked aside by almost any attack.

strong is a good option. you have the moves of the other stances available, and using them at select times is fine, otherwise don't deviate from heavy, you simply won't be able to block a button mashing multiple-blade wielder.

basically single is good because it has strong, and bad because it has fast.

I must disagree with you, because i think single saber is the best.

I have finished the game with red, yellow and blue (also with the dual and the saberstaff), in jedi master, and if you find the right timing and tactic for each stance you can defeat any kind of reborn.

I killed once a dual sabered reborn with one blue move, the simple jump forward and in the air attack, to the very head (quiet deadly).

Besides all the spining moves of the dual and saberstaff doesnt seem to do a lot of damage (or none), cause i use sense a lot to see how much damage that attack took.

By the way has any of you fought kyle (using spawn and playerteam enemy), he is such a cheater :mad:

I find using the blue stance is very effective against heavy stance cultist. Just run in and go for the mid section :D I think every saber stance and sabers have their ups and downs. I played through the demo using all the types. I still can't figure out which one I like the best. I guess I have to do more demo playing now.

i was talking more about multiplayer, axvegeta :) sp gives you the advantage of being able to save and load your game, whereas in mp if you make a mistake you have to deal with the consequences.

light style has the lunge, which has good penetration, but it's hard to hit with it (unless you can still rotate with it in mp). otherwise you have to wait for your opponent to take a swing before you have a chance of hitting them, and if they're a good player, then that swing will most likely hit you, breaking through the weak defense that light has.

You should be able to use any stance in the demo.

Look for something you can click on called "Saber Combat Style."

While it's true you only get one STARTING STANCE (at first), you can use cheats to get all three.

SetSaberOffense 3

should do it, if not try setsaberattack 3 (sorry I forget which one it is).

Other related cheats to max out the single saber:

SetSaberDefense 3

SetSaberThrow 3

(SetSaberAll 3) may also work

SetForceJump 3 (needed for acrobatic moves)

(of course Setforceall 3 gives you full everything, but that's overkill just for testing this stuff). ; )

Update: I checked and if you play on the Chandril level first instead of Tatooine, you get level 3 saber attack and defense automatically (they max out all your neutral powers before that mission).

Every one has their favorite and mine is dual (i played a tons of mods in JO with them) However beating the enemy can be fast (which is preferable because you link moves ) of a really slow batlle which i always loose on Jedi master level 2 of the demo. I played with saber staff, got hurt a bit but raped most of the people with no problem ( i didnt know the moves then) and found it to be deadly, when you do that swirl over the head and to the side your invincible. im gonna try single sooner than later, but as it stands the staff is powerful and if you just want kill somebody really fast in a noobish way here it is. But it still looks cool. :):D

yeah just woundering cause it seems kinda sucky to me only to have one saber style thru a mission :( but playing it over and over im starting to get used to not having all three , hoping full version u can have all three when u become more powerful like in jo sp :)

what was it saber offensive the higher it is the more saber styles or something cant remember now :confused:

anyway i think they all as good as each other if u know how to use em ;) but i really really dont like the double sabers (not staff)

There seem to be 5 saber styles for the single saberist. Use setsaberoffense 5 or setforceall 5 to get the others. I believe the others are the Reborn Strong stance and Tavion's stance.

Seems like we'll be seeing her again :p

If you use those codes you can cycle through the stances until you hit Tavion's. It seems to get stuck there. You'll recognize the basic Tavion swings but that style has medium (maybe strong) strength and uses a mix of fast and medium moves.

Archived