21 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite M Night Shyamalan Movie

• The Sixth Sense
    • Unbreakable
    • Signs
    • The lesser known movies released before them
    • M Night who?
    • They all suck!

I didn't think Unbreakable was a particularly great movie. It certainly didn't surprise me with any of its revelations, which I think it was trying to do. When I saw it, I couldn't help feeling that Shyamalan was sort of making the same movie again.

I saw Signs and appreciated it more than Unbreakable, mainly because of its direction. I still felt like he was kind of retreading the same ground, however.

So even though I didn't think The Sixth Sense was the son of God or anything, I did enjoy it and seeing as I haven't seen any of his prior work I'd have to vote for it.

I've no idea if he's in the process of making another film at the moment, but if he is, I really hope for his sake that he breaks himself out of the pattern he's established. I acknowledge that this guy has directorial talent, but I'm kind of getting tired of the whole "Here's the amazing and surprising ending that validates the entire movie!" deal. It seems like Shyamalan is quite adept at finding his way out of complex situations when he's made the rules. The Sixth Sense to me is not so bad in this regard, since the rules seem to be pretty established throughout the movie (which sort of dilutes the shock of the ending). Signs, however, is the worst offender in this department. While I thought much of the actual movie was well-constructed (moreso than Unbreakable), by the end I felt like the guy was pulling this stuff out of his ass but not actually grounding anything. He could just sort of do whatever he wanted then make up an explanation at the end. So it culminates with aliens being fatally susceptible to water--yet somehow they've managed to survive staying in Earth's atmosphere for extended periods of time, despite its heavy makeup of water vapor. I'd also expect that SOME of them would have encountered large bodies of water and realize that some protective gear is in order. Humans were depicted as less technologically advanced than the aliens in the film, but I think even if we were to launch an attack on an alien world we'd put a great deal of thought into that sort of thing. It came off as sort of a weak H. G. Wells ripoff, but not as plausible (or obviously groundbreaking) as Wells' work.

I'm not going to go into this kind of detail with his other two films that I've seen. I saw Signs most recently so it's most fresh in my mind. I just feel that Shyamalan's style can get extremely derivative and repetitive, and he's basically relied on the same cinematic tricks to carry him through what have been essentially three box-office successes (though I seem to remember Unbreakable not doing as well as the others).

P.S. This isn't really related to what I was talking about, but I was very disappointed to discover Signs was about aliens. I hadn't heard any hype when I saw the film, so I didn't know that going into it. Aliens felt like the easy way out to me. This is entirely a personal thing, but I felt that some other realistic, or even less-obvious-but-still-supernatural, explanation would have perhaps made a better movie if treated well.

He does have a new movie coming out, starring Joaquin Phoenix, William Hurt, Sigourney Weaver and Adrien Brody. It's called The Woods, and here's the basic storyline:

"Set in Pennsylvania during 1897, the film revolves around a close-knit community that lives with the frightening knowledge that a mythical race of creatures resides in the woods around them."

An early review of the script confirms there is a twist ending to the movie.

I haven't seen The Sixth Sense (not properly, anyway) or Signs, but I thought Unbreakable was extremely well-directed, and that's often more important to me than the plot. I thought it was great how the director chose very low, claustrophobic viewpoints. I think the first scene is already great because it's sunny and nice but you still know that something bad is about to happen, thanks to the great camerawork. Seeing Unbreakable wasn't a waste of money. Though I wouldn't pay to see it again on video.

I really liked Unbreakable, enough to buy the DVD - though I've only watched it like once since. But then a movie doesn't have to be Oscar-material for me to buy the DVD, at least during the days when my budget was a little more disposable. Mostly, I like the inclusion of comic book mythology - even though the build-up was pretty much predictable.

I absolutely loved The Sixth Sense, I really liked Unbreakable, and I enjoyed Signs, although I agree that Shyamalan should try something a bit new in his next film.

The almost religious "Oh-My-God" sensations at the ends of The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were fantastic, but as a result, I could foresee the same plot twist when I watched Shyamalan's next movie Signs.

I heard that a sequel to Unbreakable was in the works? Anything up with that?

Unbreakable, by far. IMHO, it's his best movie, and it's one of my favorite movies of all time. I liked them all though, I liked Unbreakable the most. I also think it's the most underrated movie of his, naturally.

I think Unbreakable is his most artistic movie, while his others were far more commercial. Though they all straddle the line between art and mainstream, I think Unbreakable leaned more toward the art side than the mainstream, than his other films.

I really hope Shyamalan's next film after The Woods is a sequel to Unbreakable, since I've heard he did intend to do sequels for it once, but is reluctant now because of how Unbreakable was received. I own the DVD for the movie and I've seen it at least 10 times already.

I hope he does go in a different direction eventually though. I'm not too interested in the Woods yet, although I have heard about it.

Archived