Home

How do you like the look of the sabers?

Reprehence

A couple of things:

Blades:

Why is yellow and green so big? And blue and red and purple thinner and more intense?

I like them better than in JO - but they still look too big to me. They aren't like the splash screens during the install for one thing. I myself like the Ep II type blades - thinner, rounded at the edge, and they don't pulse so much. They look cleaner - but that's me.

Hilts:

Several of the hilts look huge. If you character has smaller hands, the hilts clip through - which just looks pretty bad to me.

1 thing I noticed in the demo. When you turn the double sided saber off, It cuts off your arm or the saber goes over the arm. Like it did in the double saber mods for JK2. Also when you turn off one of the two sabers in double saber mode, He hold the saber hilt combined with the other saber that is still ignited. Um, I think it would be kinda hard to fight that way. Anyway, its only a demo and I think this demo is the one they used at E3 so I'm sure they fixed things like that. One more thing which is very important. The saber collition is way off. Not like in JK2. You barly see saber contact. In saber combat, The SP demo duel'n seems alot like the first MP duel'n in JK2 which originaly stunk! Anyway, Hope they have made theses changes.

I honestly can't tell the difference between the sabers in JK2 and the JA demo.

I guess maybe my old eyes are bad?

The only real change (other than the new hilt options) I see is that they give off an actual glow this time, rather than a crappy pasted on colored circle texture. ; )

Originally posted by Darth54

I think they're fine.

I wish for more hilts though... The ones they included are pretty nice, but I would like to see some special (curved? - I know it would not fit with the models, but it would be nice) hilts.

733t dooku wannabe?

I really like the choices... I've played with four different characters, and certain sabers look better with certain characters (IE the praetor looks way too big for the Zabrak female, but the firebrand is perfect). Experiment more.

I'd say that I'm hoping for more saber hilt selection but in truth I just realized that I can't remember what any of my opponents saber hilts looked like... kinda like not remembering a single tune from a game soundtrack - not a good sign. All in all, I think the sabers look cool - though for some reason the trails that show up when you do a "kata" only show some of the time for me but always for the cultists. Weird.

The sabers look fine to me. I like the range of hilts available, and obviously there are some I like and others I don't.

As for the yellow and green blade colours...maybe they're slightly 'bigger' because they might 'wash out' more against certain backgrounds...

Anyway, I'm happy with the colours and the choices. *shrugs*

What he's talking about is nothing new to JA. Yellow in particular has always looked very thick, but I'm not sure if it's just sort of an optical illusion or what. I always figured the "white" area in the center looks bigger because it blends in with the yellow, and so the saber looks thicker.

Originally posted by Zen Knight

733t dooku wannabe?

I really like the choices... I've played with four different characters, and certain sabers look better with certain characters (IE the praetor looks way too big for the Zabrak female, but the firebrand is perfect). Experiment more.

Its not 733t its "1337"

What he's talking about is nothing new to JA. Yellow in particular has always looked very thick, but I'm not sure if it's just sort of an optical illusion or what. I always figured the "white" area in the center looks bigger because it blends in with the yellow, and so the saber looks thicker.
I agree of course that certain colours make the sabres look bigger. However, since I doubt the Raven team sat around and said: "I know, let's make the yellow sabre bigger than all the rest!" I must conclude that it is indeed an optical illusion. No doubt the models and textures and lighting are all of the same dimensions no matter the colour. I may be wrong.

It's actually very simple.

It all has to do with the contrast between colors. Yes you can call it an optical ilusion.

I just drew in photoshop all the saber blade colors using the exact same option just being diferent colors. The brightness and color levels are the same. Still you will get an ilusion that some (yellow for instance) are thicker than others.

I'll throw another example... imagine a circle of colors... let's say is at the middle and to one side there's yellow, then orange,then red, then purple, then blue, then green and back to yellow.

Ok now let's assume yellow is at the 12 o'clock position in the circle... the upmost colors are the ones that will look thicker and brighter as opposed to the ones closer to the 6 o'clock position that will look thinner but more defined.

The reason why it happens this way i'm not sure so I wont say that the following explanation is correct or at least the reason.. but maybe it's cuz white is the hottest color followed by yellow, the orange then red and so on. the hotter, the brighter it seems.

Well that's it... dont you feel better no that you took time for a quickl arts class? :D

Here's the pciture I drew... see if the optical ilusion is still there.

the grey saber was the starting point..after that was just slidding the rgb to a diferent color but always using the same levels for each color.

saberblades.jpg

Cheers.

I think the hilts for JA are fine, I wouldn't be dissapointed if there weren't any new ones in the full version. Though I do wish to see more head options for human male ( im sure we'll get a bald headed white guy and perhaps a braided haired/dreadlocks black guy? Both options are something im looking forward to!).

As far as sabers having different thickness..I think certain colors just seem bright to the point that they look thick I suppose. Green and yellow are the ones I think of.

Originally posted by Obi-Wan X

I think the hilts for JA are fine, I wouldn't be dissapointed if there weren't any new ones in the full version. Though I do wish to see more head options for human male ( im sure we'll get a bald headed white guy and perhaps a braided haired/dreadlocks black guy? Both options are something im looking forward to!).

I'm pretty sure what we see in the demo is what we get in the full version, both for hilts and models/skins. If you go to the lucasarts site, you will see that everything there is in the demo.

One funny thing in the readme.txt though, it says:

COLOR: Select an outfit or skin-tone color from nine choices.

Does this mean that we'll be able to use the 9 colour bar to help select the skin colour, or will be just select from the three or four heads like we do now? We'll see.

Originally posted by Prime

Does this mean that we'll be able to use the 9 colour bar to help select the skin colour, or will be just select from the three or four heads like we do now? We'll see.

Well, you can change the skin color of the Tw'll- whatever the alien with the pigtails is in the demo, that could be what they mean. Just my guess.

Archived