Home

I Have it!!!! My Review (*Legit. Use spoiler tags.*)

xtrazx75

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ImmolatedYoda

i must ask this after perusing the .npc files in the demo...are any of the JO models not in JA actually included with the game? (old reborns, lando, etc).

They're all included in Jedi Academy because all the models from JK2 are available in JA MP (even if they're not in the Single Player game).

Almost all of the files from JO are in JA. The files are not complete in the demo, but are in the final version, except some txtures and a few other minor things. That is why Chang, the raven guy, said that some textures might not show up in converted levels and you would have to port them over from the JO pk3s. That is also why it has been said that you can spawn JO npcs in JA with the npc spawning code. :D

EDIT: Bah, he beat me to it, nevermind. ;)

Originally posted by kazesan

Alright a few questions regarding some of the content we are talking about.

[Content edited for reasons that cannot be explained.

Well, I probably shouldn't be saying anything about it at all, so that's all I'll say for now. Our users are pretty creative and good at finding hidden stuff in the game, so I'm sure someone will figure it out. Plus, the hint book may have some useful cheats/commands in it (I haven't seen it yet, but we gave them a good, long list).

The magazine article, btw, was not using an illegal copy, I think that screenshot was from our E3 build, where that map was being shown. But that map isn't in the retail version... but, who knows, maybe it'll show up someday somehow.

Thank you for the reply I was just curious if it was already in the game or just hidden in the bowels somewhere. It would be conveniant if things were added though. *cough first patch cough*

I'm sure modders will make everything spiffy. Also I don't doubt that the base gameplay will rock. Look at how many people still play JK2.

I´m thinking about these great possibilities about making "spacemaps" for the siege mode where ppls´just use the ties and xwings you guys have mentioned. Anyone who knows the bsp scale function Ydnar have implemented in the q3map2 compiler knows we could simulate spacemaps which are large...larger...very very large:)

Too bad i have to wait for the german release to get my hands on the great game:(

My hopes where so big about the vehicle stuff and i have to say THANX guys;)

Originally posted by Schattenelb

I´m thinking about these great possibilities about making "spacemaps" for the siege mode where ppls´just use the ties and xwings you guys have mentioned. Anyone who knows the bsp scale function Ydnar have implemented in the q3map2 compiler knows we could simulate spacemaps which are large...larger...very very large:)

Too bad i have to wait for the german release to get my hands on the great game:(

My hopes where so big about the vehicle stuff and i have to say THANX guys;)

I can tell you that we have been able to make maps that are at least 120,000 units wide (both X and Y) and 120,000 units tall, so you can certainly make HUGE maps... :)

The brainstorming in my mind just doesnt stop. It seems to be an endless list we can do now. I imagine an endor war based siegemap with speeder bikes and spacewar like maps near the deathstar. My god i cant wait!!!

I´m so excited about everything in this game.

Oh and btw. Kenn Hoekstra once said you added sky portals to the engine so the possibility to simulate a sun_flare effect in maps is very high right?

Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

I can tell you that we have been able to make maps that are at least 120,000 units wide (both X and Y) and 120,000 units tall, so you can certainly make HUGE maps... :)

120,000 Units for height and width :eek:

HOLY ****

And I thought map with a ceiling of 2000 Units was tall...

I been playing the demo and I am looking forward to the full game.

You have just took your first step into a larger world! Can't wait, I will take my step in about 5 hours=)

CriPPleR

PS Raven, make a game based on the Teras Kasi or atlest have them in JK4!!!=)

dream on guys. play the game and think again.

is it realy possible to extend the old quake3 engine that far?

it is NOT suited for outside areas. not that it's not possible to do, but it looks worse than inside areas and decreases performance alot. i had my own experiences with this engine while making maps for JO. i will have a look at the new features (besides glow). what i hope to see is a better illumination system for md3 models. it never realy looked right, when i was using big models. i hate bsp brushes, and don't even care about the curved surfaces...

yes i know that he knows more than us, and i would never try to contradict. i was talking to the dreamers who think that the indoor Q3 engine could do the same as the outdoor bf 1942 engine. i do not favor bf 1942 but it seems to far away from realistic to think that raven just doubled the possibilities of that old engine in such a short time. the specs changkhan gave us, are just an indicator for the size. but what is with the performance and quality on such huge maps? in no doubt JA includes more huge areas and better grafics over all, but it can't do wonders...

The limitation is the "max.viewable distance" anyway in the

q3 TAengine but with the use of fog, distance cull + antiportal you can do some great outdoor maps. You also can model now whole maps in 3dmax and import them in GTK as an ASE.

Believe me i know what i did for sof2 outdoor map related and it´s

not only the engine alone. You have to take advantage of 3dmax and the new q3map2 to fully understand the possibilities of mapping now a days.

i used 3dmax to model structure, like rock and other stuff. but there were limitations like 1024 units and the horrible skinning method, because vertexes can't have more than one uvw coordinate and stuff like that. and when the model made it into the game it was a real hard time lighting it up, to fit in the enviroment. that seems to be still a problem in JA. but anyway, mabe there are some new features to solve that problems. making the whole map with gtk radiant without using 3dmax is just sooo yesterday. it's 2003 and quake1 is like the last millenium! but still we have to work like that...

fun1.jpg

Here's mine; burned on a nice, clean, Memorex CD!

Just kidding. I have two copies.

fun2.jpg

EDIT

Oops! Posted in the wrong thread...though it seems like the right thread!

Archived