Home

Happy Independence Day!

Compa_Mighty

Yes, Independence Day, today we celebrate the beginning of the Mexican Independence.

Shortly after midnight, on September 16, 1810, Miguel Hidalgo, a priest, and Father of our country, asked the people of Dolores, a town of the center of the country, to start fighting for the Independence. The movement soon started to get stronger with each day that passed, and many other heroes joined the movement.

After Hidalgo and Allende, who were the starters of the movement were killed in 1811, another priest continued the movement: Morelos, he was captured and killed in 1815, and with his death all the hopes for independence seemed to vanish... but a few other soldiers continued to fight, and finally, one of them, called Guerrero, made an alliance with Iturbide, a general of the Spanish Royal Army, and they ended the war on September 27, 1821.

As you can see by this brief summary of the Mexican Independence War, it was a long, and difficult war, but there were a lot of heroes who fought for their country, and their efforts paid off at the end... that's why every September 15, at 11:00 pm, our president rings the same bell Hidalgo rang at the Church in Dolores, and makes the "El Grito" traditional ceremony, in which we remember these heroes, and we celebrate our freedom.

Hope someone finds this historical and cultural tidbit interesting, I thought it'd be cool to share it with you all.

Around where I live you tend to notice things like this, being so close to Mexico and all.

In fact, I think people are celebrating their independence this year by jumping the border!

Wow! They must celebrate their independence every day of the year!

(Pardon the cynicism)

Archived