Home

OJP (Open Jedi Project)

razorace

A. I can understand this, but I also don't understand why you can't minimize it to the task bar like most IM clients.

B. You mean changing nicks to indicate that you are away? Who cares? Not only is that not a big deal to change your nick, or even use the proper away mode, but it's not an important feature. Who cares if MSN gives you a little window that says "lol dude I r teh away!!!11"

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A. I can understand this, but I also don't understand why you can't minimize it to the task bar like most IM clients.

Cause you gotta watch the window to see if someone is there. :p

B. You mean changing nicks to indicate that you are away? Who cares? Not only is that not a big deal to change your nick, or even use the proper away mode, but it's not an important feature. Who cares if MSN gives you a little window that says "lol dude I r teh away!!!11"

No, I meant when people come online. IRC doesn't handle that very well at all. There's no "user is online" stuff in vanilla IRC.

Plus, I don't like the fact that logging into IRC automatically makes my firewall work overtime to block all the script kiddies.

You can do IRC all you want if that's your thing. However, I'm not going to waste time or taskbar space trying to watch the channel and do my thing at the same time. Sides, you guys are rarely there when I'm awake, so it's just going to be a major thorn in my side.

Originally posted by razorace

Cause you gotta watch the window to see if someone is there. :p

No, I meant when people come online. IRC doesn't handle that very well at all. There's no "user is online" stuff in vanilla IRC.

Plus, I don't like the fact that logging into IRC automatically makes my firewall work overtime to block all the script kiddies.

You can do IRC all you want if that's your thing. However, I'm not going to waste time or taskbar space trying to watch the channel and do my thing at the same time. Sides, you guys are rarely there when I'm awake, so it's just going to be a major thorn in my side.

1. Most IRC clients can be setup to beep or have their icon flash when there's activity.

2. But what's the point of the user online stuff?

3. My point is that IRC is far more efficient and easier for group meetings and discussions, it was never created for one on one communication.

Originally posted by Emon

1. Most IRC clients can be setup to beep or have their icon flash when there's activity.

Most but not all. Trillian's IRC function is VERY inconsistant. Plus, it flashes for log ins, log outs, when you're idling and when people are just talking about crap.

2. But what's the point of the user online stuff?

So you know when certain individuals come online. I don't want to be bugged by window flashing whenever guest@java.com enters the channel or when a net split occurs, I just want to talk to people on the project instead of having to check the window 50 zillion times when people are whining about how JKA MP sucks.

3. My point is that IRC is far more efficient and easier for group meetings and discussions, it was never created for one on one communication.

Have you even tried MSN messenger? Its group conversation option covers the exact same base as an IRC chat and it's much less of a hassle to use than idling. And you can simply close the freakin' window (without lossing the ability for other people to know you're online) when you're not interested in the current conversation.

Well, maybe when you guys stop arguing about the rules - or lack of rules - and the method of communication, you can start the project! I'd be interested to see what you guys got in store!

Sorry for posting, as I doubt I have the coding abilities to actually contribute, but it seems there is a lot of bickering on little stuff - I mean it's good to come to agreements on the project plans and all, but imagine how many lines of code you could have made instead of the essays y'all have put into this thread? :p

Just a third-party observation. I mean no flame, I consider you guys to be respectable, knowledgeable forum dwellers here - and that's a rare thing indeed. So just a thought.

Deciding what the rules for the OJP are - or whether we need rules in the first place - needs to be done. And it needs to be conclusive enough for everyone to agree on. So I don't see a problem with getting a bit 'involved' with that.

But - hehe - this chat program stuff is quite funny! :) Whenever I wonder if certain aspects of my personality are too stubborn - I only need to visit this thread to put it in perspective! ;)

Anyway - I wasn't acutally aware you could set up audio alerts in IRC - that would improve matters for me at least. So I'll look into that...

:p So sue me. I'm sick of idling in IRC channels.

Anyway, I've found the first bug fix for JKA (outside of Raven of course). pwn3d!! I'll post about it tomorrow...after some sleep.

Basically, I found out what was wrong with backward walk animations for several of the different saber stances. It's a easy txt file fix.

Well, when coordinating on a coding project, IRC is very cool.

A) I don't feel the necessity to keep responding, like with an IM client - I can just hop in the channel and answer questions - if you're not there, and perhaps you're somebody I NEED to talk to, I'll find you on one of the IM programs I have laying around.

B) idle? not idle? I'm supposed to be coding, not chatting away the hours with a bunch of guys who have nothing better to do than argue about a preffered chat medium. EVEN IF I found one of you guys online, getting you to stop whining and join a conversationg would just be too much work - I just want to code, people, let me code! GIVE ME THE CODE!

C) Sadly, I don't think constantly conversing with the other OJP contributors is a very necessary thing - WHILE coding - maybe when I've finished a set of functions and I want to pop in and show you guys what I wrote, then I'd be interested.

D) If you can't tell, I'm frothing at the mouth to begin coding. I want to code, NOW.

I think Wudan said it pretty well... It's nice to hop in and out, and maybe discuss a coding problem or two, with MSN, you've got to organize a stupid chat every time, that would be extremely annoying.

I'm home sick today, so I'll try to finish the web site.

You're missing the point... But whatever. It doesn't matter.

New website! I finally got a good design I like, I felt the Obsidian Temple theme and the name of our project fit pretty well together. Most of it's done. I still have to try to change the scrollbar color so it blends better, and fix a few multiple browser issues. Oh, and the bottom image is a placeholder. :)

More later, time to go watch TNG...

New website! I finally got a good design I like, I felt the Obsidian Temple theme and the name of our project fit pretty well together. Most of it's done. I still have to try to change the scrollbar color so it blends better, and fix a few multiple browser issues. Oh, and the bottom image is a placeholder. :)

Looks good, but what's the whit gap above the new name banner for? A news ticker? Plus, none of the menu buttons work. Is that intentional?

More later, time to go watch TNG...

Sweet.

Anyway...

As I mentioned before, I got fixed animation.cfg file to fix the "bad animation while walking backwards with a single saber ignited" bug. I suggest that we make this the first addition of OJP and release it as version 0.01 of OJP.

But first, we need official names for both distrobutions and we need to settle some of the usage rules. Namely, should make OJP based mod have to contain the OJP readme files as part of their release packages? Or should it be optional as long as they make it clear that the mod is OJP based?

Originally posted by razorace Looks good, but what's the whit gap above the new name banner for? A news ticker? Plus, none of the menu buttons work. Is that intentional?

Anyway...

As I mentioned before, I got fixed animation.cfg file to fix the "bad animation while walking backwards with a single saber ignited" bug. I suggest that we make this the first addition of OJP and release it as version 0.01 of OJP.

But first, we need official names for both distrobutions and we need to settle some of the usage rules. Namely, should make OJP based mod have to contain the OJP readme files as part of their release packages? Or should it be optional as long as they make it clear that the mod is OJP based?

1. Above the name banner? You mean below it? It's just null space, I liked the way each segment on the page looked, seperate instead of together. Like stone slabs.

2. Yes, the buttons don't work because there is no content to link to yet. :)

3. The animation.cfg thing sounds good. I also made some modifications to it a while ago so that guns were raised and fired from the shoulder, it looked so slick. Totally new animations may be better, but this may be good for now.

4. I think we should use the major.minor.release version system. Pretty self explanitory. Major revisions are indicated with the first space, then minors, then releases. Releases usually refer to the same thing just fixed or changed a little, minor is a small new feature, major is a big new feature or total change, which is pretty rare. Most logical system I think... Also, I think we should try to keep the public releases to minor, so people don't have to update so damn much.

5. I'm about to fill in the content for the page, and I'll include the rules and all that jazz, then you guys an look it over. How's that sound?

1. Above the name banner? You mean below it? It's just null space, I liked the way each segment on the page looked, seperate instead of together. Like stone slabs.

Above it. There's just a square whole. It looks intentional.

3. The animation.cfg thing sounds good. I also made some modifications to it a while ago so that guns were raised and fired from the shoulder, it looked so slick. Totally new animations may be better, but this may be good for now.

Well, I'll have to see the file before I can approve of anything. If it works great without any issues, adding it will be no problem. I should note however that both of these probably need to go in the Distro 2 release since animation.cfg changes can cause problems without it being used both server and client side. My bug fix will probably not cause any problems since MP doesn't use that animation anyway.

4. I think we should use the major.minor.release version system.

Sounds good.

5. I'm about to fill in the content for the page, and I'll include the rules and all that jazz, then you guys an look it over. How's that sound?

Fine by me, but you didn't answer either of my questions. :D

Oops, sorry. :) Yes, I think the readme should be required. It's likely that any OJP enthusiast would make it quite clear that it was made on OJP, it would increase our popularity a little (I know I would!), but if they don't want to, just make them include the readme. One file, no big deal.

More site updates. All I have to do is fill in the content, maybe add some more visual goodies and optimize file sizes of the images. The box you speak of is the space for the JK.Net ad, I took the info from the DF site. It should display properly... Everything is looking flawless for me in Mozilla/Firebird, Opera and IE. :D

1. I suggest that we try to make a master cvar/command list that people can add to over time. I'm trying to talk to Kurgan about it to see if he wants to get involved.

2. I think our readmes/docs will look much better and be easier to read if we use something other than .txt files. Should we maybe go with .rtf or .doc files instead? It's not like it's a compatiblity issue. Everyone is going to be on the windows platform anyway. :)

Emon, any news from sourceforge? It's been at least a week. I suggest emailing them if they haven't responded yet.

------------------------

Open Jedi Project (OJP) Readme

------------------------

Release Version: 0.0.1

NOTE: This readme might not be part of an official OJP release zip since this file is required with all OJP based projects. If this isn't an official OJP release, this file will probably only partially apply.

========================

0000 - Table of Contents

========================

0000 Table of Contents

0001 Introduction

===================

0001 - Introduction

===================

The Open Jedi Project is a code/modding colaberation with the intent of maximizing the features and fun factor for all Jedi Knight Academy mods. We work together by contributing fun, interesting, and useful game features so that everyone can benefit. We operate on what's basically an open source system. See the Smacktard Open License section for more information.

Our design philosophy is to make everything as seperated and customizable as possible to allow developers and players to choose what features they wish to use.

We currently have two seperate distrobutions, Basic and Enhanced:

Basic is a server side only mod/codebase. It includes map enhancements, bug fixes, etc that does NOT affect gameplay. The Basic OJP mod can be found in the /OJP directory of this zip file.

Enhanced is a server/client side mod/codebase. It includes all the additional features of the Basic distrobution but also includes client side modifications, gameplay enchancements, etc. The Enhanced OJP mod can be found in the /OJP+ directory of this zip file.

======================

0002 - Installation

======================

Just unzip this file to your JKA game directory.

============

What's New?

============

v0.0.1:

Enhanced:

BUGFIX1 - Animation.cfg fix for BOTH_WALKBACK2

Fixes an animation bug seen when walking backwards with an ignited single saber in SP.

New File - bwwalkfix.pk3

Includes BUGFIX1

========

Features

========

Basic Includes:

Nothing at the moment.

Enhanced Includes:

BUGFIX1

---------

Bug Fixes

---------

BUGFIX1 - Animation.cfg fix for BOTH_WALKBACK2

Single Player, Enhanced, Animations

What It Does:

Makes the walkward walking animation for the ignited single saber stances work correctly.

Special Notes:

To make the patch work, you simply need to copy the bwwalkfix.pk3 into the /gamedata/base directory of your JKA install directory.

This fix will be obsolete once a game patch comes out. Remember to remove this file before you patch the game.

This might cause problems when playing multiplayer. If you have any problems, just move the file out of the /base directory.

Technical:

Fixes the animation BOTH_WALKBACK2 to play the correct number of frames.

==============

Using Our Work

==============

We have few rules for using our work as part of your own projects:

1. You must include this readme in any public releases of your mod. This doesn't apply if you're only using OJP features that you wrote yourself.

2. You must treat your fellow coders and the project with respect.

3. You may NOT use our work for ANY commerical purposes without the author's direct permission.

Please don't violate these rules, they are here for everyone's benifit.

We will have a public CVS server to allow you to view the source code as soon as we can. In addition, we are still waiting for the MP SDK so there will probably not be anything to see for a while anyway. :)

We suggest that you:

- Submit any cool features you might think other modders/players would like to the project.

- Keep in contact with us about your project. The more information we have, the better we can coordinate OJP to help you and the community. We also like to know that people are using and enjoying our works.

=======================

Submitting Stuff to OJP

=======================

We are looking for any cool, fun, or helpful code/visual effects/etc you might have.

However, we are NOT looking for maps or player models (although we might be able to use some very skilled modeller help) at the moment. They take up a lot of space and can be downloaded seperately.

Before you consider submitting, take note that we won't let you desubmit or remove your works from the project. Allowing people to do so would cause too many problems for the project. While your work will remain your work, submitting stuff to OJP means that you give us the rights to use your work as part of the project perminately.

In addition, your work won't nessicarily be turned on or even in every compiled version of OJP. Some features will be disabled by default to allow people to just fire up and play OJP without confusion.

That being said, if you have something to submit, just contact one of the OJP moderators.

DO NOT JUST EMAIL STUFF DIRECTLY TO THE MODERATORS! ASK FOR PERMISSION BEFOREHAND!

If we think your material could make a good addition to OJP, we will give you write access to the CVS repository (not yet availible) and allow you to make the nessicary changes yourself.

Submission Material Guidelines:

- Document your work as much as possible. Be sure to add mentions of your work to the readme and other project documents.

- Make your work as clean and tight as possible.

- Follow the coding guidelines. Try to keep your code as seperated from other code as is reasonable. Label EVERY coding change (from basejka) with approprate coding tags. If you're creating a new feature, you'll get to determine what the tagname will be. Try to pick something that is simple and easy to search for.

- NEVER DELETE FILES/DIRECTORIES/ETC FROM THE CVS REPOSITORY. If it is nessicary, the moderators will handle it.

=======

Credits

=======

Coding:

Original Jedi Knight Academy Source Code: Raven Software

OJP Administration:

Original OJP Documentation: Razor Ace

Special Thanks:

Raven Software

George Lucas

Lucas Entertainment Company (LEC)

===================