Home

OJP (Open Jedi Project)

razorace

Originally posted by RenegadeOfPhunk

Looks good Razor.

In relation to OJP contributors not deleting files and /or directories in the respository. I would hope the CVS would allow us to set individual user rights appropiately - so that only admins can even attempt to delete stuff...

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. We'll have to find out.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. I already set a PM to ChrisC3PO, no response yet.

2. The project I applied for on SF was rejected, they just didn't tell me. I had to log in to see. It's probably because of a custom license I had whipped up based off the libjpg/libpng, which just prohibits commercial use. I suppose we can leave it out, though. If you wanna get sued by LEC...go ahead.

3. Where's the license section in that, Razor? I've searched Google, and I can't find it anywhere.

4. With OJP "basic" being only server side, how will that limit new entities? What if I wanted to make changes to the FX system...? What about new AI, vehicles, etc? Surely that is not only server side in JA. If you want to keep this server side, say good bye to any co-op levels or singleplayer levels built on this distribution. I know plenty of people would like to work off JA's vanilla gameplay, not anything we would add to the full distribution. Mappers I'm talking about, not coders. It was my view that the basic distribution wouldn't make any gameplay changes other than those for balance, a lot of people would like all sorts of new mapping features without having to install some full mod.

5. I'll start putting this on the site, put it under the Legal section, and continue my ad campaign in the About section. :D Also, fix all those spelling and grammatical errors Razorace has ;)

Oh, and ROP and I agreed that a class based player system (JA has it, but let us assume we can improve it and make it for all game types) would be a good example of a "generic" gameplay addition to the full distribution? I think we agreed we shouldn't be adding any terribly unique gameplay features, not anything that should be unique to one mod. If we do, I think we'd be venturing away from the generic, open code base thing we've been looking for.

I think it would be 'convinient' if the basic distribution was kept to server-side - just because it can appear all the more transparent to the players.

...but I don't think we should make this a 'hard' requirement.

If there are really cool things we end up wanting to do that should be in the 'basic' build, but end up requiring client-side changes - I say we go ahead and make client-side changes...

And yeah - adding to and extending the class system is a good example of the kind of stuff wanted for the 'enhanced' build...

Extending it to other gametypes is a good idea...

Another very small example:

the classes in Siege seem to be limited to one model choice per class, per team. (Unless I'm missing something)

I think it would be nice to allow a more varied model choice for each class...

Yeah that's the problem. The more transparent it is to players, the more they will accept it. I was thinking about a middle distribution, if we really want to keep it client side, but that may make it too complicated.

I think we can probably get away with the client side changes...

Think about the advantages of server side:

• No client download
  • Virtually transparent to the player

The disadvantages:

• Limited coding in vehicles, AI, etc.

Client side modification advantages:

• New AI, vehicles, save games, singleplayer and co-op stuff

Disadvantages:

• Few megabyte download

We have to decide which is more worth it. Transparent server side with few big additions, or client side, where we can win a lot of people with co-op and new, limitless singleplayer gaming? Most everyone likes at least some singleplayer, and I can't count how many times, before, after and during JO/JA that people have begged Raven/LEC for co-op gameplay. I think if we can get a good co-op or SP base going in MP, we'll start to attract some huge crowd and support.

Originally posted by Wudan

WALKWARD? how tired were you ... ?

Ok grammar nazi. :)

Seriously, you're correct. I didn't proof it at all before posting in and I was tired at the time. I'll fix it sometime today.

Yeah that's the problem. The more transparent it is to players, the more they will accept it. I was thinking about a middle distribution, if we really want to keep it client side, but that may make it too complicated.

I think we can probably get away with the client side changes...

Let's keep it down to two distrobutions. Since you're the only one who has shown interest in the Basic distro so far, whatever you want goes. :)

Besides, server side only mods are so limited that I wouldn't even consider trying to mod one. The only reason why Vulcanus/Jedi Academy Mod were so "popular" were the additional server options anyway.

Why thank you. :) Basic = sv and cl, then.

Oh, and I'm going to make it very clear that this is not an admin mod in any way, shape or form. A lot of people hate admin mods, and accuse them of being the major factor in the downfall of JO. Obviously, it would not be good for us to look like an admin mod...

Well, I finally got the direct CVS repository access to work with freepository.com. Getting it set up to work is a little complicated but easy once you figure it out. Plus TortoiseCVS (a open source Windows Explorer extension) makes it extremely easy to go the basic CVS commands right from Windows Explorer.

All the basic commands seem to work ok dokie.

Contact me if you want to try it out. Since this particular system is very barebones and a bit picky about direct CVS access, we'll probably only be using it until Emon can score us some better hosting. You'll probably have to work with me a bit to figure out how to get it to work. :)

BTW, the first rule of freepository is BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL WHEN USING THE WEBBROWSER SYSTEM! It doesn't provide any warnings for deleting entire modules. The issue is currently on the bugzilla for freepository.com, but I suggest that noone (except for member control) use the webbrowser system until that is fixed.

Well - it is a bit involved to get it set-up on your individual machine. Although I think Razor and I have found a way to make the process slightly easier .via environment variables...

The TortoiseCVS set-up is pretty sweet. The basic functions are very easy to perform - and make things very clear.

We've done a quick test - and the system IS safe. If you try and commit changes without having the appropiate updates from the repository - the CVS system stops the commit, and forces a merge...

...perfect! :)

It would be handy to find a nice Diff program to help with any nessesary manual merges - but isn't strictly nessesary. The CVS system points out any conflicts directly in the file itself...

Overall -I'd say this system is good to go - thx to Razor's good efforts... :)

Well, the diff program issue is just a matter of figuring out which freeware diff program is the best for our purposes.

As for the convenence of installing the bugger, I think we could probably write down the install instructions and make a zip out of all the nessicary files.

If the Sourceforge application goes thru, it should become REALLY easy to set up. :)

Again, for anyone that's interested, I've already set the repository up with several OJP documentation files to get the ball rolling.

Ok, I'm just merged Emon's improvements into the readme. I'll post it here but remember that the most up-to-date version is on the CVS repository.

Here's a question for the group. Should we include the source code with the binary releases or should we just have the CVS repository host the code?

I think it would be best to just leave it on the CVS repository. It will keep down the workload, size of the release zips, and confusion level for people that just want to play the OJP mod. In addition, forcing people to take a little effort to get the source will probably weed out a lot of the undesirables.

------------------------------

Open Jedi Project (OJP) Readme

Release Version: 0.0.1

JA SP required: 1.0.0.0

JA MP required: 1.0.0.0

NOTE: This readme might not be part of an official OJP release since this readme is required to be included all OJP based projects. If this isn't an official OJP release, this document will only partially apply.

========================

0000 - Table of Contents

========================

0000..................Table of Contents

0001..................Introduction

0002..................Installation

0003..................What's New?

0004..................Features

0004.1...........Bug Fixes

0005..................Using Our Work

0006..................Submitting Stuff to OJP

0006.1...........Submission Guidelines

0007..................Credits

0008..................Contact Information

0009..................Legal Stuff

===================

0001 - Introduction

===================

The Open Jedi Project is a coding/modding collaboration with the intent of maximizing the features and fun factor for all Jedi Knight Academy (JKA) mods. We work together by contributing fun, interesting, and useful game features so that everyone can benefit.

We operate on what's basically an open source system. Open source basically means that the source code is freely available and accessable by all. See the "Using Our Work" section for details about rights and permissions.

Our design philosophy is to make everything as separated and customizable as possible to allow developers and players to choose what features they wish to use.

We currently have two separate distributions planned, Basic and Enhanced (can anyone think up some better names?):

Basic has two main features. One is bug fixes and balance fixes, neither which will severely alter game play. They are designed to be the "unofficial patch" for bugs and game play problems. Basic can still be considered vanilla Jedi Academy. The other main feature is map enhancements. Things such as new entities, expanded AI, vehicles, scripting and effects system can allow mappers to create far more immersive and fun maps. Since Basic also aims towards recreating all the single player entities and code, it is possible for mappers to create full featured cooperative and singleplayer games and levels using the multiplayer engine. This allows modders to make other enhancements such as new weapons, AI, etc., not possible using the singleplayer engine.

Enhanced is a superset of Basic, meaning it has anything and everything included in the Basic distribution. The difference is that it adds many significant gameplay alterations. It is a playable mod, but also a code base for other developers. To decrease the possibility of mods based off Enhanced loosing originality, we are keeping our game play feature list generic and flexible. New features will be generic, expandable, and flexible so other developers can easily adopt them to their mods. It won't venture out side of Jedi Academy's principle game play, so there won't be anything that makes this drastically unique in terms of pure game play. Players get a full mod that shares the same basic principles and ideas that stock Jedi Academy offers. Developers get a solid, flexible code base that includes the basic, fundamental features you would want to find in most mods, allowing them to spend their time on what makes their work truely unique. An example of a feature for Enhanced would be an extended version of the player class system seen in Siege, one that is available in more game types, and is far more flexible.

NOTE: This release only includes the basic package as there's nothing in the enhanced version yet. The separate distributions will come into play after the MP SDK is released for JKA.

We have a website pending. Please be patient.

===================

0002 - Installation

===================

Just unzip this file your jedi Academy directory.

==================

0003 - What's New?

==================

Version 0.0.1:

Basic:

Bug Fix 001 - Animation.cfg fix for BOTH_WALKBACK2

Fixes an animation bug seen when walking backwards with an ignited single saber in single player by correcting the number of frames.

New File - OJP_fix1.pk3

Includes Bug Fix 001.

===============

0004 - Features

===============

------------------

0004.1 - Bug Fixes

------------------

Bug Fix 001 (BUGFIX1) - Animation.cfg fix for BOTH_WALKBACK2

Single Player, Enhanced, Animations

What It Does:

Fixes an animation bug seen when walking backwards with an ignited single saber in single player by correcting the number of frames

Special Notes:

This fix will be obsolete once a game patch comes out. Remember to remove this file before you patch the game.

Might cause problems when playing multiplayer. If you have any problems, just move the file out of the /base directory.

=====================

0005 - Using Our Work

=====================

We have few rules for using our work as part of your own projects:

- You must include this readme in any public releases of your mod. This doesn't apply if you're only using OJP features that you wrote yourself.

- You must treat your fellow coders and the project with respect.

- You may NOT use our work for ANY commercial purposes without the author's direct permission.

Please don't violate these rules, they are here for everyone's benefit.

We have a public CVS repository set up to let you directly access the OJP source materials to keep up-to-date with lastest additions to the project. However, the process to access the repository is a bit complicated, so please email one of the moderators for assistance.

In addition, we are still waiting for the MP SDK so there will probably not be anything to see for a while anyway.

We suggest that you:

- Submit any cool features from your work that you think other developers may benefit from.

- Keep in contact with us about your project. The more information we have, the better we can coordinate OJP to help you and the community. We also like to know that people are using and enjoying our works.

==============================

0006 - Submitting Stuff to OJP

==============================

We are looking mostly for new code features, but are not limited to that. We are usually looking for generic, flexible, and adaptable features that anyone can work into their own code. Features that are drastically unique or special probably do not belong here, because we believe in keeping individuality and uniqueness among mods.

We also accept patches. If you see something in our code that has a problem, you can submit a patch for it. A patch would usually be replacement code or files.

Before you consider submitting, take note that we won't let you desubmit or remove your works from the project. Allowing people to do so would cause too many problems for the project. While your work will remain your work, submitting stuff to OJP means that you give us the rights to use your work as part of the project forever.

In addition, your work won't necessarily be turned on or even in every compiled version of OJP. Some features will be disabled by default to allow people to just fire up and play OJP without confusion.

That being said, if you have something to submit just contact one of the OJP moderators.

DO NOT E-MAIL MOD MATERIALS TO STAFF MEMBERS WITHOUT ASKING FIRST! Just contact one of us, tell us a summary of your patch or feature, and if we think it fits the project, we'll accept it.

If you think you would like to actively participate in developing OJP, we can give you write access to the CVS repository, so that you may work on it yourself. This doesn't have to be a commitment, but if you would like to just submit features or patches seperately, go ahead.

0006.1 - Submission Guidelines

- Document your work as much as possible. Be sure to add mentions of your work in the readme and other project documents.

- Make your work as clean and tight as possible.

- Follow the coding guidelines. Try to keep your code as separated from other code as is reasonable. Label EVERY coding change (from basejka) with appropriate coding tags. If you're creating a new feature, you'll get to determine what the tag name will be. Try to pick something that is simple and easy to search for.

- NEVER DELETE FILES/DIRECTORIES/ETC FROM THE CVS REPOSITORY. If it is necessary, the moderators will handle it.

==============

0007 - Credits

==============

Coding:

Original Jedi Knight Academy source code: Raven Software

OJP Administration:

Documention: Emon, Razor Ace

Original OJP Concept: Razor Ace

OJP Organizational Planning: Emon, RenegadeofPhunk, Razor Ace

Special Thanks:

Raven Software

George Lucas

Lucas Entertainment Company (LEC)

==========================

0008 - Contact Information

==========================

OJP Project Moderators:

Razor Ace

Email: razorace@hotmail.com

MSN: Razor Ace (razorace@hotmail.com)

AIM: razorsaces

Yahoo: razorsaces

RenegadeOfPhunk

Email: renegadeofphunk@3dactionplanet.com

==================

0009 - Legal Stuff

==================

We are making no claim on Raven Software's, ID Software's, or LEC's intellectual properties. The above rules only apply to the additional works created by OJP contributors. Ravesoft's, ID's, and LEC's code and additional materials is only included for ease of use. All applicable licensing agreements still apply. Please don't sue us.

End of Line.

I don't think you got the message about what OJP is about. It's not just a general mod for JKA but a development platform as well.

Anyway, we already have a CVS repository up and running and have already checked out the legal side of things. From our analysis, any mod based on the JKA code can't ethically or legally be distributed as GPL due to it being based on JKA code. The EULA bans commerical profiting which isn't covered by GPL.

We've also checked out SF, but it looks like it simply won't take projects that can't be 100% open source (meaning no restrictions on commerical usage).

From what we can tell, =X= mod was dishonest (or confused) when they signed up for SF since most of their project data is either not legal or simply wrong.

However, we wish you luck on your mod and encourage you to get involved in OJP as active contributors or users.

Archived