Home

OJP (Open Jedi Project)

razorace

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Hellfire Jedi

This is a bit offtopic but, on JK2 section of PCGM, there was a OJP zip. The guy had a fit, Sergio/Eldritch changed it to Saber Hilt Pack. The zip is still called "ojp.zip."

Once agian, sorry for off topic.

Thanks for the update. We already knew about the name stealling but I didn't know about this new file until now. I'm still talking to the admins about it. :)

...well...

There are two ways to approach the two distributions.

btw - can we give the two distributions / builds different names? 1 and 2 don't really tell you much. I'd suggest:

Dist. 1 = OJP Base

Dist. 2 = OJP Plus

...or whatever. Someone can probably come up with better names...

Anyway - you can either keep the two distributions totally seperately. That means your eventually going to have to merge Dist. 1 (OJP Base) into Dist. 2 (OJP Plus) whenever we need to do a new release. Could be a bit of hassle.

The alternative is to put ALL changes into the same code base - but wrap up all OJP Plus stuff in a preprocessor #define. Something like:

#ifdef _OJPPlus

/* OJP Plus feature */

#endif

[edit]

NOTE: This is how extra debug code is handled. It's wrapped up in _DEBUG preprocessor defines...

[/edit]

Then, all you have to do is set up two pretty much identical projects in VC++. One with the OJPPlus define, and the other without. No big merges needed.

[edit]

Again, this is pretty much how debug and release work. The release build does not include the _DEBUG preprocessor define

[/edit]

We can ask individual contributors to wrap their features themselves, but some will probably miss it - so I think the admins would need to check each new feature and do this if it's been missed. I'm quite willing to do this myself. This won't be that hard as long as you can check the history and see exactly where the differences are (Personally, I'd find this less hassle than doing a massive merge each release time)

And at the end of the day - we really should be checking each feature anyway - for many other reasons too...

I also see this as a safer method...

Two different respositories and merging could still work. But I see the preprocessor define way as neater, and also less overall hassle...

I don't know. I think two seperate code branches would be easier in the long run. I imagine the plus version will have a LOT more code in it than the basic version. Forcing people to do a crapload of ifdefines around all their plus work would be a big hassle. Having to merge stuff semi-manually (you can merge branches into the "main" project with some automation) would be a lot less work overall.

I suggest we simply make the basic version a branch of the primary code trunk (the plus version). That way we can add whatever we want to the basic code and then easily merge that data into the plus version.

As for actual binary releases, we could just release them seperately or as a package. A package deal would probably be best to avoid jedimod/jedimod++ confusion.

Originally posted by razorace We need a repository where we can use winCVS or something that's easy. Since it sounds like we're going to 100% open access, security isn't much of an issue.

I'll look into my sources. Bwahah!

I'll finish the website today. The page on there now was an old test, I seem to be in a paradox of finding the perfect method for rendering the page on all browsers, so I said screw it, I'll just use tables or something. CSS layers can bite me.

ROP, when I put together the site, I'll think of good names for the distros.

Razorace, either MSN, ICQ or AIM, whichever most people have. I say not MSN because MSN is supposedly going to not let third party IM clients work with their protocol anymore, and there's no way I'm using theirs. I still think IRC is better, it's especially great when we all have to talk at once. We can use IM for just one on one, but for a team meeting, IRC is a must.

Yeah- I say use ICQ...

About how we manage the two builds, well - I'm not overly fussed at the end of the day.

I would have thought that we would really need to double-check all the features going into the OJP anyway - between us. In that case, the #define way wouldn't really be much extra hassle. You'd get pretty used to adding the #defines quite quickly I reakon...

(Again - I may be assuming too much about the CVS system. In VSS, it's very easy to quickly scan through and see ALL the differences between new code and the old code. In fact, standard procedure is to peer-check someone else's code before they can add it. We could still check aded stuff - only we'd have to do it after it's been added. But that's better than nothing...)

If were NOT checking each addition - well - then I guess the branching method overall WOULD be better.

...but even with the two branches, it's possible that someone may put a feature in OJP Base, when it should be in OJP Plus- or vice versa. If were not checking each feature, we could easiely miss that.

But then I guess you just deal wth it at the time.

Ok - well - either way will work. I'm happy enough to go with branching...

I'm suggesting MSN because it supports multiperson conversations easily and quickly. As for the third party blocking, I think M$ gave it up. My copy of trillian runs MSN perfectly.

CVS does allow for diff checking. I was simply suggesting a branched system as I know that the process for merging code from the branch to the main is at least partially automated. I'm not so sure that would work for completely seperate modules.

ICQ supports multi recipents but A) that doesn't work as well as a real conversation chat and B) doesn't work in Trillian.

I don't like IRC because there's no way to tell if someone is online or not with idle whoring all the major channels

Sides, if you're too lazy to install MSN or trillian, you're probably too lazy to install WinCVS, and therefore too lazy for the project.

WHOIS reveals idle time on Holonet. :D But really, it's not going to be that important. If he's idle, he's not talking now is he?

I was fooling around with some graphics, and I got the following. The black box is where the ad would have gone.

http://emon.geekvision.net/OJP/template.html

Mozilla = Great.

Opera = Great.

IE = TOTALLY ****ED UP! :mad: It can't render PNGs with transparency, WTF

Idle time or not. I don't want to have to have an addition window open just to idle until there's someone to talk to. Plus, this constant virus/portscanning crap when I connect to the network is pissing me off.

I use IE and I seem to see everything, it's just that none of the buttons are pressable yet.

Well - looks like IRC is the fav.

Although I agree with Razor - I think it's a pain in the arse it doesn't automatically detect when someone is idle and give you some kind of an audio alert when someone joins or becomes active again.

I easiely find myself stepping away from IRC for a sec - getting distracted - and then suddenly remembering I'm idling in the room - check, and find I've missed loads of the conversation.

...so to avoid missing anything, I have to keep bringing the IRC window to the front again and again and again and again and again.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

...but oh well. I can deal with it...

*sulks* ;)

Emon,

Depending on how long I've been away, that's a LOT of catch up, which wouldn't be nessesary in other chat programs.

...I just think other chat programs are far more practical - and just make more sense.

...did the maker of IRC not know how to trigger a sound?!

Anyway - whatever. I think it'd be hilarious to have agreed this much and then not be able to agree on a friggin' chat program!

...so in the interests of sanity (namely mine), I'll leave it up to the rest of you! I'll use whatever...

Um, how is that different from catching up in an IM client? If you're doing 1 on 1, then obviously they are waiting for a response, same in IRC... If you are doing a chat on MSN, then what, you can wait for the person to get back? You can do that in IRC, too. Just ask the person. I don't understand what is so hard about that...

And most IRC clients let you do sound triggering for all sorts of events.

Archived