Home

JA SP crash?

Aragorn327

Got JA today, and it sure looks fun, but I can't get into SP!

I click single player, it starts to load, then I get a blue screen crash that says something about a fatal exception and OE. I've reinstalled 3 times, deleted the demo, uploaded drivers, everything I can think of.

1.2 Athlon

256 RAM

64 mb Geforce 2

a few gigs left of extra space

And multiplayer seems to work fine....

I wish I had an answer, but I'm in the same position. I used JA's "Analyze Computer" and everything passed after I installed DirectX 9.0a that came with the game.

I have:

P3 750 MHz

384 Mb RAM

64 Mb GeForce 2

And just like you, Aragorn, my MP works fine.

*** EDIT ***

I never had the demo installed prior to picking up the game today (Sept. 17). Also, the same/similar Fatal Exception error shows up if I try the "Safe Mode".

Can someone help us from Raven Software?

I have a friend that also has 98 and it works fine on his computer.

It is frustrating to meet and/or exceed all the requirements printed on the box, and yet not be able to play the SP game. And it is more frustrating that MP is okay (but that has its own EXE file). I can play other games based on the Quake III game-engine just fine (JK2: Jedi Outcast, RtCW: Enemy Territory, MoH: Allied Assault).

Raven? Someone? Please help.

:(

LucasArts did respond (Yay! :) ) and this was my response to their first follow-up (they wanted to know what happened if I tried to launch from the JASP.EXE file directly versus using the shortcuts or autoplay menu):

I get the same results if I go straight to the JASP.EXE file ("Fatal Exception" error the first time, nothing happens on further attempts until I reboot, then it repeats - error first try and so on). The Multi-Player (JAMP.EXE) continues to work fine even if right after the "Fatal Exception" error.

Here is the "Fatal Exception" error:

"A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:E58A57AE in VXD ZZZZZZZZ(01) + 0000268E. The current application will be terminated."

Between the time of submitting the request for help and now, I have done the following actions (prior to running the DirectX Diagnostics and Launch Analysis):

1) I have updated my video drivers to the latest from Nvidia,

2) I have uninstalled JA 100% (including any remaining folders and files),

3) reinstalled the game, and

4) reinstalled DirectX 9.0a off the game CD.

I have attached my "DxDiag.txt" file for you to review. I ran the DirectX Diagnostics after a clean reboot if that helps. I also have run the "Launch Analysis" by right-clicking on the JASP.EXE file. Would you like that file ("AnalysisLog.sr0") sent to you as well? Let me know.

Now at this point I am waiting to hear back from them. I really, REALLY hope that this is the right direction in getting this solved...

Im' getting this exact same error as well.

After trying all the steps you guys mentioned I went ahead and reformatted my hard drive and I still get the error!

I really want this fix BAD!!!

Sut to make sure, I get a VxD error which mentions something about SCSIhelp or something like that.

Game will usually work right after a restart, but not always.

Safe mode isn't guaranteed to work either.

Yep me to guys! For a few days there though I was able to play SP. Now when i try to startup SP my screen remains on the title screen and my computer seems to lock up, no error messages!

I also reformatted my hard drive again and loaded the game again and was able to play on the first try, then upon trying again I still remain locked on the title screen!

EDIT:

After reformatting (again) and reinstalling Windows Me, I am now able to play both MP and SP! I reinstalled my full version of Windows - no Custom install- and also did a automatic install also for JK3. However, I have not installed any Windows updates whatsoever on my computer and as far as DirectX goes I have plain 9.0 - not 9.0a, or 9.0b- which came with my video card drivers.

Just wanted to let you know what I found out from LucasArts. After I sent in my DirectX Diagnostics (see post above) to LucasArts at their request, they sent this possible solution:

I am going to recommend that you obtain the latest driver for your SB LIVE! Audio Card over at http://Http://www.creative.com as well as trying the following out:

You might try adjusting the sound card's "hardware sound acceleration level" in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool Sound menu.

- Exit the game

- Click on the Windows Start button

- Choose "Run..."

- Type DXDIAG in the "Open" field and click OK

- Select the Sound tab on the DirectX Diagnostic Tool

- Lower the "hardware sound acceleration level" one notch and click "Exit" <try all levels>

Try playing the game with this setting. If the problem continues to occur, you may want to return to this menu and try a different acceleration setting.

Please note that you may need to reset sound acceleration to the original setting once you have finished playing the game to avoid problems with other applications.

Go to the Windows Control Panel, double-click on Multimedia, click on the Devices tab, click on the listing for the Modem (it should say Audio for Modem or Wave Device for modem, etc.) and then click on Properties, select "Do not use audio features on this device", and then click on OK. You will then have to restart the computer before attempting to run the game again to see if the problems that you are encountering with the game have been resolved. However, please be aware that disabling this wave/voice feature of your modem may affect other applications that you run, so you may want to change this back to the original setting following each time that you play the game.

I have not had the chance to actually try this out, but I will post an update if this works or not. Hope it helps some of you out too.

P.S. I already had updated my video card drivers prior to sending them the DirectX information (again, see post above).

My computer specs (for comparison to your own):

- Win 98SE

- P3 750 MHz

- 384 Mb RAM

- DVD-ROM (don't recall the speed - maybe 24x)

- 64 Mb GeForce 2 GTS video card

- SoundBlaster LIVE! Value sound card

I tried altering every sound input device I had including the main one and tested them at diff accelerations.

No help at all.

However, the BSOD finally changed, it doesn't mention anything about a file but says a Windows prtoection error has occurred and I have to restart your computer....Yay

I love paying $50 for a MP only game....:mad:

It looks like what is happening is that the anticopying scheme mentioned down on the back of the box is preventing half of the legitimate buyers from being able to use it. Someone posted that some no CD fix corrects it.

I'm guessing that it all has to do with how sensitive your CD drive is.

Great. Yet another example of the honest paying customers getting screwed by faulty antipiracy schemes.

Originally posted by LainTora

Just wanted to let you know what I found out from LucasArts. After I sent in my DirectX Diagnostics (see post above) to LucasArts at their request, they sent this possible solution:

I have not had the chance to actually try this out, but I will post an update if this works or not. Hope it helps some of you out too.

P.S. I already had updated my video card drivers prior to sending them the DirectX information (again, see post above).

My computer specs (for comparison to your own):

- Win 98SE

- P3 750 MHz

- 384 Mb RAM

- DVD-ROM (don't recall the speed - maybe 24x)

- 64 Mb GeForce 2 GTS video card

- SoundBlaster LIVE! Value sound card

I tried everything from LucasArts as well, and no luck here either. I do not have the option of reformatting my computer (not for a game) so I wrote back LucasArts asking what to do next:

After much troubleshooting, I still have the same results. Here is a very brief overview of what I have done:

1) I followed ALL of your suggestions, and according to Creative.com, my SoundBlaster LIVE! card already has the latest drivers (from 11-27-2002) installed. In fact some files that it wanted to copy over were much older than what was already on my computer.

2) I updated to DirectX v.9.0b (but was able to restore my computer to prior when it did NOT make a difference).

3) I uninstalled the game (again) and tried installing it using the "Automatic" install (versus the "Custom" which I had been). Same results with the "Fatal Exception" error I sent previously.

4) Re-updated to DirectX v.9.0b again with the default game location. Same results.

5) Restored the computer to just DirectX v.9.0a with the game in its default location.

Other things to note:

+ I have tried setting my desktop color to 16-bit prior to launching SP (but same error).

+ I have used "CTRL-ALT-DEL" to end all programs except "Explorer" and "Systray" prior to launching SP (no difference).

What else would you like me to try?

I wonder if there is a way to undo DirectX v.9.0a back to 9.0 or even 8.1b ...

Here's to hoping I hear something soon again from LucasArts. :)

Archived