Home

Saber blocking and parry help please.

BladeIV

In the manual mentioned that you can block or parry if your saber was in the ready position (which I assume means you are in your standing with saber in hand and not actively swining) or in a defensive posture. How does one go into a defensive posture?

I have seen opponents with dual sabers stand with sabers crossed waiting on me. Is that is defensive stance and if so how do you do it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Cool, thanks for letting me know.

So does anyone have any ideas about the defesive posture the manual was mentioning when talking about blocks and parries, or am I looking at this wrong, and there is no real defense stuff besides timing and position?

I also noticed in the demo that if you are stationary with your lightsaber out, that you could block incoming Force Lightning attacks, but when I played a MP game in the full version, I didn't seem to be able to. Anyone else notice this or is it just my imagination hehe.

thanks!

No, it's not your imagination. The player character does attempt to block Force lightning for a bit. It does it even if you don't have the lightsaber out, though, which in that case the character uses their arm to block it, similar to blocking Force push or pull. Seems to only block about a second's worth of lightning before you get overwhelmed.

Saber blocking occurs while not swinging or by intersecting an incoming swing with a swing of your own. Positioning and correct saber swing height are critical for a successful intersection block.

Parrying can be performed out of a block recoil. Block a swing and then, while your character is performing the animation from block to neutral, counter with a swing or you can even start a combo out of the recoil animation. It's a split-second thing but you'll get used to it. Note that each saber stance and saber type will react with a different timing for this. I've also noticed that you can use a low/low intersection block (they swing low, you swing low to intersect) to keep their saber "pinned" the ground for a split second. You can counter out of that as well and these "parried" hits are almost 100% effective.

The whole thing takes a bit of practice and you really need to master the saber combat engine (moves, timing, positioning, etc) to make it work right. It's invaluable because most people don't use it nor do they expect it.

For a little added bonus, it drives people nuts.

Archived