Home

Official Crashing/Freezing thread - post your specs+error msg

DeliriumenD

Just curious is anyone else getting a problem with the game randomly locking up in Single Player mode? I'll be playing along just fine and dandy, then a sound bite will start skipping, and then the entire thign just locks up and the only way to break out of it is to cut the power to the system and start back up again.

My system isn't great, but it more than matches/meets all the recommended settings (except RAM, which only matches the recommended) and I had absolutely no problems with JO or any other Quake 3 engine game.

I've tried turning off Dynamic Lights and Glow (with the other goodies) and I'm even running on slightly modified "fast" settings (instead of 6x4 it's 8x6 and I put the texture and other detail settings to medium)

Without those goodies off (if I put it on high, which my comp should be able to handle) the cutscenes skip a bit (keep playing, but it's annoying listening to the sound).

Just curious if anyone else had these problems and knew a way to fix it. As other than that, i'm having a total blast with this game.

Has anyone encountered a lockup at the menu screen? Im just curious because I haven't even gotten into the game and as soon as the game gets to the main menu, it locks up. my system specs are:

AMD Athalon 600mhz

Windows 98SE (patched-SP4)

384 mb PC-100 ram

40 gig WD harddrive

ATI Radeon 7000 (w/ newest drivers)

Can anyone help me?

Originally posted by DeliriumenD

Just curious is anyone else getting a problem with the game randomly locking up in Single Player mode? I'll be playing along just fine and dandy, then a sound bite will start skipping, and then the entire thign just locks up and the only way to break out of it is to cut the power to the system and start back up again.

My system isn't great, but it more than matches/meets all the recommended settings (except RAM, which only matches the recommended) and I had absolutely no problems with JO or any other Quake 3 engine game.

I've tried turning off Dynamic Lights and Glow (with the other goodies) and I'm even running on slightly modified "fast" settings (instead of 6x4 it's 8x6 and I put the texture and other detail settings to medium)

Without those goodies off (if I put it on high, which my comp should be able to handle) the cutscenes skip a bit (keep playing, but it's annoying listening to the sound).

Just curious if anyone else had these problems and knew a way to fix it. As other than that, i'm having a total blast with this game.

Have you tried turning Force Feedback off under the control options for the mouse/other

Be sure your video card and/or CPU isn't overheating. I had a similar problem with any graphic intensive game. I took measures to ensure proper cooling, and I haven't had a freezing problem since.

Don't roll your eyes and think you're imune to heat. In all my experiences, heat is the second highest cause of game freezes -- first cause of course is system requirement deprevation.

Last night everything was fine. Tonight everytime I play (SP or MP) either everything freezes within the first few minutes, or the game crashes to the desktop, and on a few occasions my computer has restarted.

Just as a reference, I have not had a problem with any other game, nor have I had any other problems- just when I run JA.

I haven't read much about anyone having technical difficulties.

Here are my computer specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3200+

Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe rev.2

Memory: 1Gig MB of Corsair XMS 3200 DDR 400

Video Card: ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro (ATI Radeon)

Hard Drive: Western Digital WD400BB 40.0 GB @ 7200 RPMS

Additional Hard Drives: Western Digital WD400BB 40 Gig 7200 rpm

Monitor: KDS X-Flat 19" (XF-9e)

DVD Manufacturer & Model: TDK indi (420n) DVD+R/RW

CDR/CDRW Manufacturer & Model: Yamaha CDR- F1

Storage Interface: IDE

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Audigy2

Internet Connection: Comcast Cable

Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP1

Other Components: CoolerMaster Aero 7 Heatsink/Fan

Thermaltake Highest Xaser II 6000 Plus Chassis

Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speakers

Logitech MX700 Mouse

Logitech Cordeless Rumblepad

Hercules Scan@Home 48-bit Scanner

Epson Stylus Photo 825 Printer

Thanks for all the responses. I actually didn't think of Force Feedback, so I'll try that first, and I'll try a bit more settings play arounds before I go and write to Lucas Tech Support.

Heat isn't the issue (though it has been an issue for me before) I have a good cooling system, and I can play other, graphic intensive games fine. Though I'll also look into it just in case.

I've had this problem too. It's usually preceded by a 'white-out' when reloading a saved game (after I've been playing for a while and reloading a few times), then if you try and reload after that, it will crash with an error that basically says it's out of memory. So yes...I think there is an issue around memory. Perhaps it's not fully cleaning out the previous part of the game, or something.

Originally posted by DeliriumenD

Heat isn't the issue (though it has been an issue for me before) I have a good cooling system, and I can play other, graphic intensive games fine. Though I'll also look into it just in case.

Heh, that's exactly what I thought, too.

I can run Star Wars Galaxy and Unreal 2 without any problems at all. For hours, if I choose. But once I load up JO, JA, or Elite Force 2, my computer crashed. I have fans up the wazoo, and what I thought was a very good circulatory plenum. But apparently, my card (ATI 9700 Pro) gets hotter faster than my computer can cool it. I took off the cover, put a huge house fan near the card, and now I can play any game I want without having to worry about heat (and I have aluminum casing too, which really pisses me off).

Of course, my case is temporary til I find a more perminent fix. Just don't rule it out until you've fully eliminated it as a cause. It's a killer, man.

I have 4 different kinds of crashes.

Game completely locks and I have to force restart.

Screen goes black and sound freezes and I have to force restart.

Screen goes blue and sound freezes an I have to force restart.

Game freezes and then closes and I get the Windows error message.

I have an Alienware Aurorra DDR, AMD Althlon 1900 xp 1.6 ghz, 640 mb, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb. I got 6 fans in my comp so it cant be overheating.

Also sound has been twichy. I got Sound Blaster Live 5.1.

I too have fallen under the dreaded influence of this annoying crash. The game loads fine. The game plays fine. I have no performance issues, only a it of a high frame rate when on the highest of high settings. However (mostly when i'm looking right at or are right near a cloaked trooper) the game will instantly freeze, locking the entire system and, like others have said, the only way out is a reboot. Win 2000 reboot takes at least 3 years so its getting kinda frustrating.

I think it might be a sound card issue, considering my outdated SB Live card i purchased 5 years ago seems to not work with my MB. I'm forced to go with this crappy C-Media AC97 card that came with my MB.

I too have fan's out the wazoo (4 fans in all not including the one on my processor) so i doubt if its a cooling problem. I think it is probably sound related cause it doesn't always happen next to or around those cloaked troopers. Sometimes it will freeze at a random point. I've been unable to get passsed the prison escape mission where you have no weapons (level set 2, mission 5) because of this error. Everytime i enter the hanger area, one place or another, it ends up locking up.

If anyone know anything more than whats been posted here about this mysterious bug, please helps us out. This game REALLY kicks ass and I don't even have Dual Sabers or a staff yet.

My Comp Specs are:

Athlon 2.5 Ghz

512 MB Ram

Radeon 8500 DV 64mb

C-Media Audio Device (crap)

And like C-3PO said to the distant sandcrawler on Tatooine, "Help! Pleeeeease Heeeeelp!"

When I go to play the game, it loads up fine, plays any FMV's fine, before crashing and coming up with a windows Error message, any idea's?

Specs:

AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz

Nvidia GeForce 2 MX Pro (Latest Drivers)

256 DDR RAM

Windows XP Home edition

Please help as I haven't actually gotten a chance to play the game yet (The same thing happened in the demo)

I just tried loading MP for the first time today and have tried 3 times and each time, it freezes at the opening splash screen. I can't cntl-alt-delete, alt-tab, etc - nothing. Have to just power down and restart. SP is working fine, but I cannot even get into MP. Its not an issue of system requirements (I have a 3.0 gzh, 512 RAM, 128 MB Radeon 9800 video card, etc). Anyone else have similar problem?

I have the problem too. Very random.. sometimes I can play for over 2 hours and sometimes only 15mins. One of 2 things happens. The game will freeze for like 15 secounds and then return to play no problem, Or it will freeze for like 15sec and then my speakers start this screeching noise and wham.. lock-up with restart. I was playing with anti alis on a geforce fx 5900 ultra. I have turned off the anti alis and have not yet had the probem.. mabe that was it?

Archived