Home

JA MP Blows...... Answer - Promod?

Quiwan

Played MP once more, damn that’s frustrating. A Promod type system would make this game 100% better. By the way does anyone know how much bandwith a server would need to host 3-6 players. I was thinking about setting up a Promod server for all the true saber’est out there.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kurgan

Teach people that its better to lose gracefully and show "honor" by saying "gg" and not accusing people of cheating or laming when they get beat. Teach them that losing is not really losing if they learn from it and get better. Teach them that there is no shame in losing to a superior opponent, and that there is no honor in whining if we make stupid mistakes and let ourselves lose.

amen brother.

btw we DO NOT need a promod, it was awful in jk2 and overcomplicated the game.

After playing more, I must say I like the JA saber fighting. It takes a lot more skill than you think, and when you say it's clumsy or buggy it's just cause everyone is wavving around their flash saber staffs and it looks very jumbled and confused.

Take up one saber, watch the enemy, pull a matrix, slow things down mentally, and swing where his saber isnt, and you will hit him. It may take awhile to kill someone this way, but hey did Obi take out Maul in a 1 hit Katta? no...no he didn't.....

This may seem nearly impossible with more than one enemy but it's not, just keep moving. Never stop moving, never, if you do you'll get pounced on. Never move into a corner and if you do wall Jump for gods sake.....

Just play more and you'll see the saber combat is rather well done, it just takes time for your brain to break it down and use it to it's fullest...

Pnut

I've been messing around with server settings since our server went up. There is an option to turn on location based damage, so, getting hit in the head hurts more than it would your foot. You can also change the saber damage scale. Which ever number you put in, it'll multiply the base damge by that. You can change the speed, you can change the saber lock factor, you can change the force regen time, like was mentioned. You can change just about everything, really. There are so many options, it's unreal. If they all work or not, I don't know, yet. Doing some testing though, and everything seems to be a go. They have their server menus the way they are for a reason. That is so 'Joe' can run a server, with the base options without having to know anything about the console. They've put in the cvars for advanced users so they can tweak the game to their liking. Take a good look at the cvarlist (/cvarlist in the console) to see what your options are. And, have fun with it.

Also, I haven't found it in JK:JA just yet, but in JK2 you could change the collison of sabers, to make it happen more often. Enabling more blocks, and trickier hits. You don't need a 'ProMod'. Just change a few things, to make the game more challenging.

The problem with being able to adjust all those things is that everyone will set up their server to their own liking. That's not a bad thing for a friendly late nite brawl fest, but it's terrible when you desire a game that can be played in professional competition. Having all those non standard servers out their muddies the waters and makes it harder for a game to catch on in competative ladder play. It'd be better if the standard settings were closer to what most of the posters in this thread wish for while still allowing you to relax the settings for a casual server. That's what the main idea behind Promod was; to create a standard set of competative rules for proffessional play.

As for ProMod not working with multiple assailants, that's not really the case. In JO, Promod was able to handle special targeting rules for opponants behind you (for backsweeps/stabs) and opponants on your sides (for sidekicks). It wouldn't be hard to extend that to saber staff and duel saber situations; certain zones around your player (depending on your saber choice and/or swing animation) would be more apt to blocks/strikes from your extra blade.

Promod was excellent. Most people don't realize that it wasn't only about fixing the saber combat, but also about balancing force powers and weapons. By the final release (Promod 3.0) you couldn't be a supercharged gunner that would take all the force points out of saber related slots (saber offence/defence/throw) thereby granting yourself access to ALL (light or dark) force powers and ALL weapons. It was very choice.

Originally posted by CoreyGH

The problem with being able to adjust all those things is that everyone will set up their server to their own liking. That's not a bad thing for a friendly late nite brawl fest, but it's terrible when you desire a game that can be played in professional competition. Having all those non standard servers out their muddies the waters and makes it harder for a game to catch on in competative ladder play.

'Problem':

http://server.counter-strike.net/server.php?cmd=cmdcs

Solution:

http://www.caleague.com/?page=config&div=cso

Originally posted by JaledDur

g_forceRegenTime != 200 on most servers -- tons of them have lowered it, and a lot of those have it set rediculously low. I'm betting this is so that the 'cool' saber moves can be used a lot. I'd say that would qualify as a move that gets spammed. This has the nasty sideaffect of making FF games really messed up.

When I said "At the very least there isn't one move getting spammed. Yet." I ment that there isn't one move that is being spammed above all others, not that there wasn't any spammed moves.

I think you point about a mod is spot on.

btw we DO NOT need a promod, it was awful in jk2 and overcomplicated the game.

lol.... overcomplicated?

bah, I could have sworn that Promod was quite easy to understand and grasp. At least the people I played with didn't seem confused.

But hey, we're all entitled to opinion.

Promod was probably the best mod I ever played. Sure, everything has it's flaws, but in terms of a mod that actually tried to be different in some manner, Promod was it. No one implemented real, definitive changes to the saber combat system, with the exception of.... ah, dude, wha'ts your name, you did Masters of the Force, but that never saw final fruition. Well anyway, I can't remember, I am a disgrace. However, if you ever decide to try again with JA, best of luck to you.

In terms of a finished project though, Promod was it. Other mods tried to change Force powers, and still others tried to put in all the saber stuff. But in the end, no one implemented a system that used what was already in the game, and simply added a new strategic function to it. If you got into promod, and learned to memorize exactly what moves to use and exactly how to setup your defences and attacks, like i did, then Promod was just the natural game to play.

A JA Promod would probably never happen, but if it did... wow... I'd probably have a heart attack. Sad world I live in, huh?

Promod was so beautiful it almost made me cry. Promod even managed to almost balance guns and sabers.

I remember the days after the Promod servers all dried up (why?)... after I stopped waiting in the empty servers, I would go play standard duel, and spend the five minutes it took to kill a red style DFAer with yellow style, just to bring back the memories.

*sniff*

you know, I would pay money for a JA Promod.

Originally posted by Doctor Shaft

Promod was probably the best mod I ever played. Sure, everything has it's flaws, but in terms of a mod that actually tried to be different in some manner, Promod was it. No one implemented real, definitive changes to the saber combat system, with the exception of.... ah, dude, wha'ts your name, you did Masters of the Force, but that never saw final fruition. Well anyway, I can't remember, I am a disgrace. However, if you ever decide to try again with JA, best of luck to you.

I assume you're talking to me. I wasn't the one that stated that Promod was "too complicated". I think I stated that it's too lag dependant.

Anyway, you're correct, MotF was never even close to what I'd consider a finished state. The main problem was that I hit a unpassable engine limitation. JKA fixes the issues so I'll be continueing the project (probably under a different name) in JKA as a OJP mod.

Originally posted by Doctor Shaft

lol.... overcomplicated?

bah, I could have sworn that Promod was quite easy to understand and grasp. At least the people I played with didn't seem confused.

But hey, we're all entitled to opinion.

In terms of a finished project though, Promod was it. Other mods tried to change Force powers, and still others tried to put in all the saber stuff. But in the end, no one implemented a system that used what was already in the game, and simply added a new strategic function to it. If you got into promod, and learned to memorize exactly what moves to use and exactly how to setup your defences and attacks, like i did, then Promod was just the natural game to play.

A JA Promod would probably never happen, but if it did... wow... I'd probably have a heart attack. Sad world I live in, huh?

Well put. I remember certain saber matches with other people that knew how to use promod, and i must say those were some of the best matches I’ve ever had. You could tell who were beginners and those who knew what they were doing. Beginners were easily sliced in about 2 hits. Promod was a simple to learn; yet you could make complex strategies. I knew that if I fought a fellow Promoder that knew what they were doing. I would have to change my strategy to compensate. Now that’s the way combat should be.

I have been really pondering setting up a promod server, but I will need some assistance from anyone willing to help.

Originally posted by AxVegetA

Cphlebas how could you be signed in since may 2002 and just have 2 posts?

Please don’t criticize how many posts they have. Were not here to bash people but voice our commitment about one of the best strategic mods ever made.

They need to fix/delete the move with dual sabers where you crouch down and spin both sabers around you, It's wildly abused and spammed, and seeing as how saberstaff has no equal...

And yes MP sabers need to be tweaked for better control and less guesswork, I'm not very satisfied with MP as it is now, I think Academy mod for JO was better by far and thats what I'll be playing until they do something with this...:deathii:

I have the source code as Kai has mentioned and I will be re-doing it for Jedi Academy, its going to give me a head ache but I will have a go, there was a post on our forums ( http://forums.aotctc.com ) about ProMod and Beyond, I have no problem with surgestions that you may be able to make and we will go from there.

That's the best news in a while on the forum, Anakin. I loved promod. I shall welcome its rebirth.

Originally posted by Teknoman

So far i love JA MP especially siege modes and FFA, but one thing is for sure...this game desperatly needs a few more dedicated servers and more Retail servers... WAYYY TOO MANY WAREZ SERVERS! I mean i cant even find a place to play with all the (internal) JAMP servers floating around. Bring us retail servers and dedicated ones at that:D

There ARE a lot of legitimate servers (like mine 66.98.176.193) that just aren't listed in the ingame browser. Look at these threads

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112699

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112456

Download the All Seeing Eye http://www.udpsoft.com/eye2/index.html

to get a true picture of all the servers out there.

You tell me what you want and I shall create

One thing, never, ever put any random factors into that mod, so that a good player can beat a bad player (almost) every single time.

Wait... isn't this the original spirit of promod? Keep this spirit in mind, then.

They need to fix/delete the move with dual sabers where you crouch down and spin both sabers around you, It's wildly abused and spammed, and seeing as how saberstaff has no equal...

Ha! That move is VERY EASY to counter (plus it uses up mana, making it hard to spam and you can see it coming a mile away), I've had it happen to me all the time. Like the Katas, if you aren't smart about using it, it's more of a hurt than a help in game.

The saberstaff is no more powerful than the other two saber types, it all depends on the skill of the user.

But go ahead, make a mod where the Dual Sabers and Saberstaff are nerfed so the single saber can be supreme for purists.

Okay, that last bit was my cynical side taking over.. I apologize.

; )

At least you're not begging Raven for a patch...

Originally posted by Guy.OnThe.Couch

And yes MP sabers need to be tweaked for better control and less guesswork, I'm not very satisfied with MP as it is now, I think Academy mod for JO was better by far and thats what I'll be playing until they do something with this...:deathii:

With a JA ProMod Staff Sabers would be at a disadvantage anyway no need to Nerf them. With Single and Duel Sabers you have at least two or more different stances while the staff is always yellow. That in it's self will be a balancing force in a JA ProMod.

You could do a 3 step system with the 3 sabers, kind of like the 3 stances. Lets say dual sabers have greatest damage of 3, but has a defense of 1, single would be damage of 2 defense of 2 and staff would have a damage of 1 defense of 3. But if that is to nerfed (I hate that word by the way) then you could tweak it more by halfing the numbers, dual = 2.5 damage 1.5 defense, and so on. Then you throw in the variables of stances and the Promod design and you will have some good fights on your hands. The tree would be something like this http://www.oculis.org/promod/promod3_strategy.html

but you add 2 new sabers with there styles.

Archived