Home

"Loom Sucks"? What??

ATMachine

On a somewhat related note, I remember reading a long time ago (back around the time that the original LOOM PC CD was released) that the reason that the close-ups were removed was that the programmers and artists couldn't figure out a way to consistently sychronize the facial movements to the audio without it looking like a badly dubbed movie and they didn't want a static nonmoving head on the close-ups so, they cut them out. The Atropos message could be from one of the frustrated artists that worked on the synch problem only to be told to forget about it. :eek:

I have long suspected that this was the reason for their absence. Some of the "badly dubbed closeups" remain on the CD files. In ScummVM, start the game, press Shift and ~ to start the debugger, and type "room 95". You'll see an animated closeup of Chaos moving his mouth.

Also, start the debugger and warp to room 94 after the intro ends, but before the message about turning on subtitles comes up, and you'll see a close-up of Hetchel. Type "objects" in the debugger to get the numbers of objects; these are some frames of animation for her moving her head frantically, like Chaos above. Once you know the frame numbers, type "object ###" to see them.

(Note: this only works once. You'll have to restart, re-warp to the room, and type a different object number to see another frame.)

Talya & Drigo:

The picture that ATMachine attached is fine - in order to see the hidden message just increase the gamma correction to the max (my graphics card allows me to do so from it's advanced property pages, but I'm you can do it with any graphics program out there).

ATMachine:

You're just full of cool information! The "talking chaos" closeup in room 95 is very nice!

Lord Savage:

Are you sure your version is the newer one? Lets compare the CDs:

All the files on my cd are dated June 6th, 1992, and the LOOM.EXE interpreter reports being "Interpreter Verson 5.1.42 CD-ROM" (you can check that if you run it with a non-existent parameter, for example: LOOM.EXE x).

I just noticed that they had a typo in the word "Verson" ... :)

You CAN'T see it in the picture attached. The easiest way to see the message is to do a simple replace (select the slightly lighter shade of gray from the picture and replace it with a bright color). In older art programs you could simple change the actual color from the palette, you may also be able to do this if you make sure you're looking at it with the lowest color depth without degrading the picture.

Bet that didn't make any sense, did it?

Originally posted by Omer Mor

Lord Savage:

Are you sure your version is the newer one? Lets compare the CDs:

All the files on my cd are dated June 6th, 1992, and the LOOM.EXE interpreter reports being "Interpreter Verson 5.1.42 CD-ROM" (you can check that if you run it with a non-existent parameter, for example: LOOM.EXE x).

I just noticed that they had a typo in the word "Verson" ... :)

Ok Omer here is the info you asked for. The interpreter on my CD is exactly the same version as yours complete with the typo. All the files on my CD are dated June 9th , 1992 so it looks like my CD was pressed after yours.

To Drigo: Search your feelings. You know it to be true.:D

Originally posted by ThunderPeel2001

You CAN'T see it in the picture attached.

Yes, you CAN!!! I opened the attached picture, added lots of gamma correction, and the message showed in all it's glory.

Lord Savage:

I'm sorry about my last post - I was wrong - the file dates on my version are the same as yours, but I wrote it wrong.

here is the complete dir listing:

06/09/1992 02:50 PM 117,089 LOOM.EXE

06/09/1992 02:50 PM 4,059,462 DISK01.LEC

06/09/1992 02:49 PM 8,307 000.LFL

06/09/1992 02:49 PM 2,613 901.LFL

06/09/1992 02:49 PM 4,193 902.LFL

06/09/1992 02:49 PM 2,019 903.LFL

06/09/1992 02:49 PM 4,388 904.LFL

Can you spot any difference (maybe in file sizes, or the file times) ?

Originally posted by Lord Savage

Ok Omer here is the info you asked for. The interpreter on my CD is exactly the same version as yours complete with the typo. All the files on my CD are dated June 9th , 1992 so it looks like my CD was pressed after yours.

To Drigo: Search your feelings. You know it to be true.:D

My CD version Date is same as yours, but i dont know what version of LOOM i have, i havent played thru the game, do i have the one with the character close ups?

OK, it seems there has been some confusion, so I'll clear things up:

There are many versions of Loom, and this is the info I (or we) have right now, sorted by platform:

PC

• Floppy version, 16 colors, midi music, no speech, full dialog, with close-ups.
  • CD version, 256 colors, cd music, speech, partial dialog, no close-ups.

FM Towns

• CD version, 256 colors, cd music, no speech, full dialog, with close-ups.

PC Engine \ Turbo Grfx16

• CD version, 64 colors, cd music, no speech, full dialog, with close-ups.

Amiga

• Floppy version, 16 colors, amiga music, no speech, full dialog, with close-ups.
  • CD (known as CDTV) version, no info about this version.

Atari-ST

• Floppy version, 16 colors, atari music, no speech, full dialog, with close-ups.

Macintosh

• Floppy version, 16 colors, midi (?) music, no speech, full dialog, with close-ups. higher resolution of fonts and the music scale.

All the PC CD versions had no close-ups in the game itlsef, but the close-ups are actually in the resource files, and you can see them with a resource viewer or with ScummVM if you change rooms through debug mode.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and fill in the missing info.

Holy cats! Nothing like branching discussions xD I'll try it again with the gamma corrections, and if it doesn't work, I'll just mess with the brightness/contrast. Thanks all. And along the lines of discussion, I'm 100% positive Drigo must know this, but I believe Luke's line in ESB is: No, that's not true....that's impossible!!!

Not being nitpicky, just thought my post needed more content. And, of course, i could be wrong *falls over*

-Sunday-

Originally posted by Talya

Holy cats! Nothing like branching discussions xD I'll try it again with the gamma corrections, and if it doesn't work, I'll just mess with the brightness/contrast. Thanks all. And along the lines of discussion, I'm 100% positive Drigo must know this, but I believe Luke's line in ESB is: No, that's not true....that's impossible!!!

Not being nitpicky, just thought my post needed more content. And, of course, i could be wrong *falls over*

-Sunday-

Actually I saw the movie in my home language which is not english, you know...

Originally posted by Omer Mor

OK, it seems there has been some confusion, so I'll clear things up:

There are many versions of Loom, and this is the info I (or we) have right now, sorted by platform:

PC

• CD version, 256 colors, cd music, speech, partial dialog, no close-ups.
    we know of two variants of this version:
    One was pressed by Software Toolworks/Mindscape - with the "LOOM SUCKS" easter egg.
    The other was pressed by Creative Labs - w/o the easter egg.

Macintosh

• Floppy version, 16 colors, midi (?) music, no speech, full dialog, with close-ups. higher resolution of fonts and the music scale.

All the PC CD versions had no close-ups in the game itlsef, but the close-ups are actually in the resource files, and you can see them with a resource viewer or with ScummVM if you change rooms through debug mode.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and fill in the missing info.

I'm back and, boy, am I going to look stupid by the end of this post. It turns out that my Creative Labs Disc does have the easter egg after all. I was poking around in my SCUMMVM.INI and although my LOOM CD does not have a graphics filter specified, my SCUMMVM GUI does which means that the GUI graphics filter was carried over to LOOM CD and therefore wiped out the message. Removing the filter from the GUI allowed me to "see" the easter egg when I did I new screen capture and image manipulation. Sorry about this. Anyone who is having trouble seeing the easter egg should make sure that they have no graphics filters applied to either Loom or the SCUMMVM GUI in the SCUMMVM.INI file. I'm going to go hide under a rock now.

Originally posted by Drigo Zoxx

Actually I saw the movie in my home language which is not english, you know...

I would have done the scene in Italian if I had seen it in that language but I have only seen the movie in English and in French. Ok and also with Chinese subtitles but I digress...:D

Anyways, I can't remember the exact phrase that he said at all, being it in Italian or English. I know what he said but I can't remember the exact words he used to say that... but I like it (...I know, it's only r'n'r....) :-)

Lord Fener: I can't seem to contact you on PM... I'd like to persuade you to back to the good side of the Force... :-)

Drigo: Haha, well, there ya go. My bad on that one. That's what it is in English, and I failed to notice you're from Italy despite the fact it's written under your avatar plain as the eye can see *cough* *searches for her own rock to hide under*

-Sunday-

Originally posted by Talya

Drigo: Haha, well, there ya go. My bad on that one. That's what it is in English, and I failed to notice you're from Italy despite the fact it's written under your avatar plain as the eye can see *cough* *searches for her own rock to hide under*

-Sunday-

Don't worry. It was just me trying to quote from movies haven't actually seen them in their native language. :confused:

Also please go away from under that big rock... ;):D

Archived