Home

Has anyone managed to fix the single player -> crash to desktop bug?

Maelstrom

Its rather disheartening to think that I have to wait for the 1.1 patch to even try this game. Right now, myself along with many other dissatisfied customers experiance the following problem. After the loading screen with the girl jedi with the purple staff sabre, it exits to desktop with no error message at all. It did the same for many people with the demo. If anyone has made any progress on fixing this problem please post it here so myself and many others can enjoy the game with all of you.

-Maelstrom

I suspect that it is aproblem with your system/settings in the game, and not the game itself. And if people had problems with the demo, they probably should expect the same with the final version, since they are both the same essentially.

Try turning all the detail settings to their lowest lowest levels. If that helps, start turning individual ones back on until you find the problem. If that doesn't work, try calling Lucasarts Tech Support. Also make sure all your drivers are up to date, and that your hardware is listed as supported by the game.

A patch will likely not fix this issue, as it likely isn't a problem with the game code.

I'm having the same problem as Maelstrom, crashing to the desktop at the same point. I've tried a bunch of different video settings and now I've been trying with the default video settings. With these setting I can run the multiplayer version, but not the single player version. I have the latest drivers for my video card and other system devices.

My system is:

Intel P4 2.66 on a MSI motherboard with the SIS 655 chipset. I have 768mb of memory and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with 128mb of memory.

FWIW, I never tried the demo.

Originally posted by Maelstrom

Its rather disheartening to think that I have to wait for the 1.1 patch to even try this game. Right now, myself along with many other dissatisfied customers experiance the following problem. After the loading screen with the girl jedi with the purple staff sabre, it exits to desktop with no error message at all. It did the same for many people with the demo. If anyone has made any progress on fixing this problem please post it here so myself and many others can enjoy the game with all of you.

-Maelstrom

Sorry, I've never heard of this happening to us during testing, there must be something odd about your system (and the other people having this problem). Maybe you can compare systems configs and see if you all have something in common? But, most importantly, check your manual for Tech Support info and contact them immediately so they know about the issue and can resolve it.

Radeon 9700 Pro here, doesn't crash to desktop, locks up the comp requiring hard reboot at random times.

Athlon 1600

SB Live! Value

Radeon 9700 Pro

I sent an email to Lucasarts tech support yesterday haven't heard anything, but will post back if/when I do.

I have had several weird issues with the game:

1) At various points, often when entering or exiting certain rooms, the game will slow down like mad, and then resume normal speed maybe 5-15 seconds later.

2) Seemingly at random, the game will essentially freeze and my HD will load furiously. If I let this happen without interference, sometimes it goes away, sometimes it crashes the game. Hitting escape and going to the main menu ceases all hard drive activity and solves the problem.

3) When Dynamic Glow is enabled, the game will eventually become unplayably slow after 6+ save game reloads. Turning off dynamic glow in the menu restores the speed back to normal, but I can't turn it back on without the problem returning unless I quit the game.

4) For some reason, load times are extremely low when loading a new map (reloads are fine.) I have clocked map loads at 2 minutes or even a bit longer.

My system specs:

Intel P4 2.4

Nvidia Ti4400 128 megs

512 megs RAM

SB Audigy

Sound card and video card all have the latest drivers. I can't, for the life of me, figure out what is causing any of these issues. HELP!

I'm also having crashes, only mine are VERY bad. Can't go more than a few minutes before getting a black screen lockup with static and repeated sounds. More often than that, it reboots my machine!

Athlon XP 1700

512 DDR

Nvidia FX 5600 Ultra

SB Audigy 2 Plat EX

Drivers are latest from Nvidia and CL.

Been building computers for about 10 years now, never had this problem, doesn't happen in any other application. Tried turning off glow, turning off force feedback, lower resolutions, etc... no luck. Tried setting all available setting in driver options to "application." Any ideas?!

Great looking game - I'd LOVE to be able to play it.

Thanks!

Kevin W. Lowe

FFCGS

It looks like what is happening is that the anticopying scheme mentioned down on the back of the box is preventing half of the legitimate buyers from being able to use it. Someone posted that some no CD fix corrects it.

I'm guessing that it all has to do with how sensitive your CD drive is.

Great. Yet another example of the honest paying customers getting screwed by faulty antipiracy schemes.

I have a Hitachi -7830 CD drive. Anyone else with this brand having problems ? Maybe only certain brands are messed up by this.

Ok I apprecate all the responses. I don't know if it makes me feel better to see so many others with similar problems or not . =)

In anycase, uncrules it sounds like you have the identicle problem that I have, so I looked at your computer stats to compare to mine. Well they couldn't be further apart = (

I have a Athlon AMD 1.6 ghz , 512 ram , and geforce 3 graphics card. I see nothing similar about our hardware to make me think that it is system specific, although I realize it could be many other things as well. Multiplayer works fine for me btw. And I have tested this CD (in case it was defective) on another computer and singleplayer works perfectly.

Some more things to note, as I belive they are relevant. When I try to change the display settings in game, this also crashes the game to desktop without error messages. So I cannot make it low resolution like one of you suggested because that crashes me. It is at the default settings right now.

I don't belive it has to do with the anti-copying scheme. I have tried things to convince me of that. (running it without the cd yeilds same results as with)

As far as anything else "odd" about my system, I cannot think of anything in particular. I had a joystick -> playstation adapter hooked up to one of the USB ports which i noticed it loaded in the consol, so I took it out and tried it without it, but that didn't do any better.

Anyway, any more recommendations would be terrific, otherwise I'll have to call support number. *shudder at the thought* I always get upset calling technical support, brings back memories of the cable "tech support" guys flipping through their manuals saying "is it plugged in?" "Try restarting it..." *sigh*

-Maelstrom

GREAT NEWS!!!

I have fixed this problem on my computer. Hopefully this simple solution will work for others as well! Remeber in my last post I had mentioned I had a joy stick hooked up and that i unplugged it. Well continuing along that track I checked the options for "force feedback" and it was "on" for some reason. PRobably from the first time I loaded the game with that joypad hooked into my usb port. I turned off force feed back (game crashed with an error message) and then i restarted my computer and loaded it up again. I checked to make sure feedback was off and tried singleplayer and VOILA it loaded up. Hopefully this will help other people . The hardware that messed it all up was a usb joystick->ps2 converter that made the software default "force feedback" on. Hope this helps

-Maelstrom

Maelstrom, your solution worked for me too. Thanks a bunch. I have a Gravis Eliminator Aftershock that has force feedback and as soon as I went into the control menu, the thing started vibrating on its own.

Anyway, since it is working, I can now play the game in 1600 x 1200 mode with all details set to their highest levels, except for the dynamic glow. I turned that off because of all the stories I've read about it here. It looks good and plays smooth.

Didn't work for me, but I didn't have the same probs as you as I had a whole system lockup.

I'm wondering if it could possible be an IRQ conflict, or something more rare. I've tried enabling/disabling many options to no avail. Guess it's time to start switching PCI slots and other good stuff like that.

I also have the same problem! I fixed the thing with the Force Feedback (I have no joystick), but the problem still excists!:(

I doubt that this is a problem with my comp, cause I played JO, Q3, and the JA-Demo before ( and i´m playing it right now), but there´s no such problem! I have a nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440, and I also downloaded the latest drivers.

PLEASE, SOMEONE HAS TO HELP ME, I PAID 50 BUCKS!!

AND NOW IT DOESN`T WORK!!!:(

Archived