Home

The Official 'My Jedi Academy Review' thread - post your reviews here

FlashRam

Originally posted by g//plaZma

Sounds pretty much aimed at anyone who used kicks at all and really cared about if they won or lost.

No, it was not aimed at him.

Skinwalker thinks that the two extremes in playing had turned JO into a bad playing experience for the average player - the "Emote Mafia" and the kickwhores. Notice that Skinwalker probably used kicks as well, but he's angry at the ones who used it to the exclusion of everything else and I'm bound to agree with him. It wasn't very fun playing with those guys (at least not on duel servers, can't speak for others). Due to spamming the kick, it actually invalidated using other weapons and thus dumbed down the game.

Well, I guess it's OK for moderators to flame at members but it's not really OK for members to flame at moderators. I mean who are we to argue anyways? Just a bunch of n00bs who used to use "teh lame swift kickz to the fase" in JK2.

Take it to the admins.

Ahh ok I see it now...

"and the so-called experts that had no other life than to perfect their kicking style so they can run around and show everyone how elite they were."

Not as bad as the thread starter made it out to be, yet it's still not good either. The problem is where he said they had "no other life"

My guess is these players prolly beat him often in the game, which seems to bother him a bit. Now I never played any jedi knight game except jedi academy, so I don't know the whole kick issue very well, so I won't get into it. What I do know is I'm very good at First Person Shooters and people who are, don't play as much as many may think. I think it's just some people have a fast reaction time and good hand eye coordination. Which explains why some people are good after the first day playing (not spending their lives in front of the game).

Anyway on a different note, does anyone know anything about a lightning bug where people die or get teleported in 1 hit?

Also anyone know if a patch is coming anytime soon? And what may be in it?

whatever man. i kicked booty on outcast multiplayer, and i kick some major arse on this too. And if you ask me, I don't see what skill was involved in outcast. I think you have to be MORE skilled to do good at this one. No more can you just push people down on the ground and turn around and backslash em. You have to actually be skilled in the actual art of saber combat, not just be able to press the jump key very quickly when you bring your saber down in heavy stance, so that you can execute a one hit kill. That was what i hated about outcast...EVERY server was crowded with people just JUMPING back and forth doing that stupid downward slash heavy stance move. God talk about annoying. I was good at that because i knew i had to be to face all the cheap people that exploited those moves to the fullest, but now i'm glad that i can actualy work on my regular saber combat skills. Although there is some truth to what you say. It is SO much easier for people to use dual sabers to get kills, but its not impossible to face them with a single saber. I myself am not good enough to regularly use it yet and win on a server, but i saw one guy the other night who had a single saber and he owned everyone, even me with my dual lightsaber and all the cheap skillz i possess from jedi outcast, AND my grip-whoring ways, without even having to stoop to my level or anyone else's levels of cheapness. That guy kicked butt. So yes, i believe whole heartedly that skill plays a part.

The biggest problem with JK2 MP was RPG/emote garbage that sucked up all the servers and got in the way of gameplay, and the so-called experts that had no other life than to perfect their kicking style so they can run around and show everyone how elite they were.

This thread offends 'so-called' experts.

As I stated, media's reply was in response to this:

He said something about good players being nerds with no life. This seemed ironic considering he is an administrator on a star wars forum.

I'm sorry, but this reply hardly warrants a ban.

Also, if you are going to ban someone for responding to a flame, then you must also ban the flame starter, in this case, Skinwalker.

This is why it seems ok for moderators to flame and shout abuse, but regular uses, merely asking for a fix for their gametype (which wouldn't affect ANY other gametype) have to withstand abuse.

you whiners who talk about skill and what not are sad and pathetic. you sound like 8 year old kids outside in the dirt pitching marbles. if you do not like the game do not play it. return it...

to say that they dumbed down this or dumbed down that.....is nonsense...the game plays almost like jedi outcast...

I can't believe you would waste time saying that nonsense. No one would make a game they didn't think people would like.

they make the game the way they think the majority will like it.

First off, sorry I haven't posted in this thread until now... I had a couple of papers due for two different Anthropology classes.....

Next, I'd like to point out that at no time in the "other thread" did I say any LucasForums member had "no life." What I said was accurately quoted by some generous individual above, so I'll refer you to that. The context was missing, however.

C'Jais was correct in assuming that I was referring to two extremes entities in the game that appeared to ruin it for the casual JK2 gamer. I hastily typed the post and should have included the word "appeared" in the original...perhaps it would have saved a little grief.

Still, if Media took it personally, then perhaps he fit into one of those extreme entities. I don't know. I won't make any assumptions there.

I didn't get to play JK2 more than once or twice each week for an hour or so... sometimes more, sometimes less. What I observed was that in the last few weeks, gameplay suffered. I would join Team FFA games where people would sit around performing emotes and chatting. They would get angry and kick/ban anyone who attempted to fight. I also observed that in some games, particularly saber-only full-force, you would see individuals that relied solely on the kick to get the job done.

I think that many players were forced to adapt to these extremes in order to play. Accept the emotes, learn to kick/counter-kick. Period.

The one extreme looked at the kickers as "whores," "lamers," and "spammers" and seemed to see themselves as "legitimate." The kicker extreme seemed to refer to the emote extreme as "RPG-Lamers" and a few other words that will earn astricks in place of letters. They seemed to see themselves as the "expert" players.

I say it's all relative. I say that anyone who can become extremely proficient at a video game spends a lot of time practicing. While that seems to preclude other activities of life, perhaps "no other life" was a bit harsh. But if you took it to the level of offense, perhaps (I said 'perhaps') there's something to it. That's not a flame, but an observation.

But critique of gameplay wasn't the real point of my post there. It was critique of the way people were talking to each other up to that point in a thread that could otherwise have been useful. Unfortunately, what my comment did, was justify the inappropriate comments of those that preferred to use disrespectful tone, flames, hateful remarks, and general flames. The apparent goal of Media, et al, was to flame not discuss.

If after reading this, you still take offense to my comments in the 'other thread,' PM me and I'll be happy to discuss it with you. I think you can even send my an email by clicking on my profile. Either way, disrespect to any member of Lucas Forums is and was not intended.

Archived