Home

Is the jawa model bugged? (Raven says "no")

Tarus

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Emon

The hit detection isn't buggy, but sv_fps shouldn't default to 20, it leaves gaps in the hit detection. Go complain to the server admin and have him set it to 60...

Thanks Emon! I'm going to experiment with this tip. Hopefully this will put the nay-sayers to rest for awhile. :)

The hit detection isn't buggy, but sv_fps shouldn't default to 20, it leaves gaps in the hit detection. Go complain to the server admin and have him set it to 60...

Hmm... What exactly does sv_fps set to 60 do? Would it affect other models? Or just the Jawa...?

*sigh* I've been telling people about the sv_fps setting for the last 6 months and noone listens to me.

Basically, sv_fps controls the frame rate of the server side of the game. The higher the setting the faster the server updates. Since all the weapon hit detection is dependant on the server fps, increasing the sv_fps will improve the hit detection, especially for the sabers.

There are some downsides since this increases the demands on the CPU and runs the server faster than it was designed for, but I've found that it doesn't really make performance impact as even when you double (40) or triple (60) the fps. Plus, there's some other minor things:

- In SP, NPCs can look a bit jerky since the AI is updating faster than they are suppose to.

- severed limbs seem to do the ground bounce more often than normal.

IMO the payoff is well worth it. However, since I'm on a dail-up most of the time, I have NOT been able to test this on a real MP server.

If you guys think that "tall Jawas" are "strange" then let me just say SOME STAR WARS GEEK YOU ARE!!!

Watch A New Hope Again sometime, you'll notice that not all Jawas are the same height, in fact some are nearly average human height (2 meters)!

This is in the Special Edition as well, so don't give me any "budgetary SFX glitches" excuses. The fact is, "tall Jawas" are canon!

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

Does no one ever read my posts?

If you want speculation as to why the Jawa by default has no icons or team skins, perhaps the folks at Raven merely felt that a six-foot-tall Jawa looked dorky. ;)

spot on. :)

Originally posted by emorog

Good sir, you hit the GD nail on the MF head.

As for this petty line of argument, let's hear from Yoda:

"Fear leads to Anger. Anger leads to Hate. Hate leads to suffering."

Of course, I'm also beaming because Kaiasowapit is one of my 'peeps'.

Originally posted by razorace

*sigh* I've been telling people about the sv_fps setting for the last 6 months and noone listens to me.

There are some downsides since this increases the demands on the CPU and runs the server faster than it was designed for, but I've found that it doesn't really make performance impact as even when you double (40) or triple (60) the fps.

IMO the payoff is well worth it. However, since I'm on a dail-up most of the time, I have NOT been able to test this on a real MP server.

I believe the reason it's set to 20 is because the server attempts to send packets to each client for each frame, so doubling the frame rate to 40 would theoretically double the packets sent, and could result in heavy lag on less-robust connections.

But yeah, on a local server it's a great idea.

I can't think why else they'd compromise hit detection.

What would changing the packet size do? You still need to send the same amount of data, in as steady a stream as possible or you lose what you gained in server hit detection by way of packet loss and congestion.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Mike seems to concur that it's not a cheat, but that all models use the Kyle model for hit detection.

Kurgan, ask Mike (Someone working for Raven Software I assume...?) why the Jawa was not given a bot, team colors, or an icon. I'm just curious. :D

Originally posted by TK8252MJL

Kurgan, ask Mike (Someone working for Raven Software I assume...?) why the Jawa was not given a bot, team colors, or an icon. I'm just curious. :D

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

Does no one ever read my posts?

If you want speculation as to why the Jawa by default has no icons or team skins, perhaps the folks at Raven merely felt that a six-foot-tall Jawa looked dorky.

Originally posted by emorog

Article worth reading about Quake & sv_rate: http://www.ukgamer.com

Some highlights:

So a higher sv_fps basically gives you a much better picture of what the REAL state of the game is, as much for your OWN player as the other ones. Since the key aspect of lag is exactly that separation of your view from the reality of the server, going from 20 to 40 *effectively knocks 25ms off your ping.

There are some other benefits as well (that are rather less than obvious). For people who are not you, Q3 sends one "event" per player per frame. Events are things like firing a weapon, jumping, picking stuff up, etc. If TWO of those things happened in the last frame, one of them is lost...

So, that's all the good stuff. What's the downside?

Scoreboard pings become even more bogus than usual, which will doubtless confuse some people.

There's a STRONG "dimishing returns" principle at work in this. Once you go over 40, you're wasting resources and typically HURTING the system as a whole, for no actual gain in client perception.

Thanks to Amidala from Chop Shop for originally posting this link. :)

Razorrace... I think a 6 foot tall Ugnaught looks odd too. If they let the Ugnaught in, why not the Jawa?
I have no clue. I'm not working at Raven. :) Maybe it's because ugnaughts are on average taller than Jawas. Or maybe they felt that the model looked better at human size.

Article worth reading about Quake & sv_rate: http://www.ukgamer.com
Awesome. Thanks guys.

Thanks for the info guys.

They obviously made the Jawa "tall" so that it would grant no special advantages by having him short. He looks funny and it's fun, that's why people like it. But there are tall Jawas in the Star Wars canon films, so it's really no big deal. And yeah, good point about the tall Ughnaught, duh. ; )

The fact is, the Jawa, like the other 12 skins not listed in the in-game profile menu, is just a BONUS HIDDEN SKIN.

It gives you no special powers, advantages or exploits. It's simply there FOR FUN.

Why didn't they make profile pics, team colors, unique taunts and etc for each one? Probably because they didn't have time. Just like the flyable ships, which were unfinished features they just threw in for fun for those who wanted to check them out and find them.

I'm glad they left them in rather than just deleted them from the build, which they could have easily done.

Sort of like the Bespin Secret Level hidden on the MotS disc, or "the pit" map in Jedi Outcast, or Max the Rabbit in JK1, or the ewoks in Dark Forces. Easter eggs, friends, easter eggs...

Originally posted by Azymn

What would changing the packet size do?

Sending smaller, more frequent packets can take more processing for routers and other devices, but kind of increases reliability, because a lost packet (which occurs often with UDP, like JA uses), but that difference is probably neglibable.

Sending smaller, more frequent packets can take more processing for routers and other devices, but kind of increases reliability, because a lost packet (which occurs often with UDP, like JA uses), but that difference is probably neglibable.

Well, making the packets smaller would force you to segment server frame snapshot information, regardless of the protocol. You'd need at least 2 packets per frame - I doubt this would enhance reliability.

Archived