Jump to content

Home

Is the jawa model bugged? (Raven says "no")


Tarus
 Share

Recommended Posts

Even if the jawa skin is bugged, banning it is still pointless.

I can play as kyle or any skin/model and the same shaky game physics mean I might miss a hit or take an extra hit. If the physics were working, then there's cause to ban bugged model, as the physics aren't working properly it makes no difference whatsoever.

 

If there is a bug, this is the reason why people can't see it - the physics aren't working correctly. If there isn't a bug, the jawa is still subject to the same shaky game physics as everyone else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Jawa8578

Even if the jawa skin is bugged, banning it is still pointless.

I can play as kyle or any skin/model and the same shaky game physics mean I might miss a hit or take an extra hit. If the physics were working, then there's cause to ban bugged model, as the physics aren't working properly it makes no difference whatsoever.

 

If there is a bug, this is the reason why people can't see it - the physics aren't working correctly. If there isn't a bug, the jawa is still subject to the same shaky game physics as everyone else.

Whether the physics is shakey or not, I don't know (it seems acceptable for me on the good ping servers I play on). But if so, they are shakey for everyone equally, so what is the problem?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The point is that they are shaky...so they're not shaky for everyone, exactly the same way.

Some times a hit misses, other times it hits. Some times a miss misses, other times it hits. Although lag could make it worse, this is an actual bug that wass present in JK2, but is much more noticable here. It would appear that the damage boxes have caused the bug to escalate.

'Its shaky for everyone' So if you play competetively, you're just gonna accept that you lost because you were hit when it obviously missed?

Come on its like saying 10 names in a hat, I pick one and shoot him through the head and you saying

" Oh well we all have the same chance of dying"

Although that is true, it doesn't mean that we have to accept that someone is going to be shot. Be sensible plz, k thnx.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Jawa8578

...this is an actual bug that wass present in JK2...

No offense Jawa8578, but I hear one of two things; either sour grapes over latency/packet loss, or unrealistic expectations about what current hardware/software can deliver.

 

Then again, if you build a better game for $50 or less, I'll be happy to play it. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So using the Jawa model makes people feel like a Jedi? Wierd.

I don't think that's it... besides the "coolness" of playing an "illegal" character, I think it's just the novelty of playing a character in a hooded robe - makes one feel special. If there was a reborn or zabrak with a robe that would be pretty popular as well. It's my feeling that the reason there isn't a cool robed character is because of the reasons KaiaSowaPit describes above - the hit detection is for a non-robed character, Kyle. So Raven made all of the "official" characters like him - no robes.

 

As far as Greelo goes... why would anybody in their right mind actually want to use that skin? Except maybe crazy expolsions spamm... *ahem* I mean specialists.

 

:p

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is the Jawa model a DIRECT RESKIN of a model WITH icons? No. That is why the Imperial/Officer, Reborn/Boss, etc. are NOT explots. Use some common sense, people. Kurgan, we do not BAN people for using the Jawa model. If someone is using the Jawa, we explain what we believe is wrong about it, and there has never been a time that they did not switch skins. ShroomDuck, Chrono, maybe others have tested the Jawa, by slicing a player using a Jawa in certain areas. Many times, a swing went straight through the model, with NO damage registered. That is why we have disallowed it. Oh yeah, and guys, the other hidden skins WERE given icons, but do not show up in the profile selection with the head shot icons. The Jawa has NO icon at all. Kurgan, you misunderstood what I said about how 90% of the other servers have the same rules. I meant the saber down= peace rule. People here tend to "bash" servers with these rules. The admins at the JK3Files server, including me, are NOT uptight at all. We don't ban at all, except for seriously offensive language directed towards other players. We do not ban for laming, as far as I know. If you are going to bash my server without even checking it out first, your opinion is worth very little.

 

Akshara: Watch the beginning of A New Hope, you'll see why Stormtroopers are the most feared soldiers of the Rebel fighters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watch the beginning of A New Hope, you'll see why Stormtroopers are the most feared soldiers of the Rebel fighters.

Thanks.. I saw it 33 times back in '77.

 

You are correct that they hit a couple of rebels during the initial capture of Leia's ship. However, from that point on except for a few Jawas and a couple of defensless farmers, they can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn.

 

I've just always thought it funny how after ObiWan makes that statement, they seem to lose the ability to aim for the rest of the series. I mean even a bunch of Ewoks with sticks kicked their butt.

 

All for fun, TK...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, while Han, Luke, and Leia all had outstanding luck with dealing with Stormtroopers, all over the galaxy there were Stormtroopers conquering all who apposed them. Remember that there were billions, if not trillions of Stormtroopers spread out over the entire galaxy. So there was a lot being done in the galaxy that was never shown in the movies.

 

How did this turn into a discussion about Stormtroopers...? :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by TK8252MJL

Is the Jawa model a DIRECT RESKIN of a model WITH icons? No. That is why the Imperial/Officer, Reborn/Boss, etc. are NOT explots. Use some common sense, people.

I must be lacking in common sense. What the heck is a "DIRECT RESKIN" of a model? Are ANY of the default game models a DIRECT RESKIN of a model? Either way, what is the significance of whether or not a model/skin has an icon?

 

The skin for tavion_new/possessed has no icon. Is it bugged? Is using it cheating?

 

Rather than rely on "ShroomDuck, Chrono, maybe others" TK8252MJL, I have a suggestion: why don't you try the Jawa model for yourself? You're more than welcome to join my server and play as long as you like to determine whether or not it's an exploit. :)

 

BTW, for those of you scratching your heads out there... I goofed. I repeatedly referred to a "Greelo" model in my previous posts. There is NO "Greelo" model. The chubby Rodian's proper name is "Reelo." Sorry for any confusion my typo may have caused. Woops! :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by GunShark

Strideur you may want to post some more info on the jawa problem as it shouldn't sound like any other character on the server, it could be that if the server isn't using it but you are then you see a jawa but everyone else may see a defualt model E.G. kyle and that may be why you hear normal voice taunts.

 

That's why I'm confused. All the jawa taunts work for me AND they all have the jawa voice. Nothing wrong here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Jawa8578

The point is that they are shaky...so they're not shaky for everyone, exactly the same way.

Some times a hit misses, other times it hits. Some times a miss misses, other times it hits. Although lag could make it worse, this is an actual bug that wass present in JK2, but is much more noticable here. It would appear that the damage boxes have caused the bug to escalate.

Fair enough. So if JO is so uncompatible with competative play, why bother with it at all?

 

Originally posted by Jawa8578

'Its shaky for everyone' So if you play competetively, you're just gonna accept that you lost because you were hit when it obviously missed?

Yes, because I realize that that is the state of the game. I can hope for a perfect game, but I know am not going to get it. I understand that there are going to be flaws and inconsistencies due to technology. If these inconsistencies are too great, I would say that as a competative player I don't want to play this game. If I do, I have to accapt the limitations of it.

 

Originally posted by Jawa8578

Come on its like saying 10 names in a hat, I pick one and shoot him through the head and you saying

" Oh well we all have the same chance of dying"

Although that is true, it doesn't mean that we have to accept that someone is going to be shot.

Personally, I don't think it is turned out that victors are determined by complete randomness. Better players still tend to win. If competative players demand that the best player win every single time, then stop playing JA. Demanding perfection isn't going to magically make it happen.

 

Originally posted by Jawa8578

Be sensible plz, k thnx.

gfggkthxbye.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

I must be lacking in common sense. What the heck is a "DIRECT RESKIN" of a model? Are ANY of the default game models a DIRECT RESKIN of a model? Either way, what is the significance of whether or not a model/skin has an icon?

 

The skin for tavion_new/possessed has no icon. Is it bugged? Is using it cheating?

 

Rather than rely on "ShroomDuck, Chrono, maybe others" TK8252MJL, I have a suggestion: why don't you try the Jawa model for yourself? You're more than welcome to join my server and play as long as you like to determine whether or not it's an exploit. :)

None of the models that are selected in the profile screen are the reskins. A direct reskin is a skin that was made directly off of a model, with no modifications done to the model itself. So if the base model is not bugged, the new skin wont be either. My point is: The Jawa has absolutely nothing made, such as icons, team colors, and bots for multiplayer. I assume that that must mean that for some reason, Raven tried to keep the Jawa out of the game. Some skins, like Imperial/Officer and Stormtrooper/Officer actually DO have icons, meaning that they were meant to be multiplayer compatable, but do to yet another of Raven's screwups, they still have to be activated in the console. And I've already seen enough buggy hits on the Jawa to make up my mind.

 

BTW, call me TK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

No offense Jawa8578, but I hear one of two things; either sour grapes over latency/packet loss, or unrealistic expectations about what current hardware/software can deliver.

 

Then again, if you build a better game for $50 or less, I'll be happy to play it. :)

 

 

I hear one thing from you "I'm a complete moron who hasn't the slightest clue of what I speak of"

 

The bug can be fixed (such as x-mod for JK2) however, the devs in their infinite wisdom couldn't be bothered to fix the 2 year old bug and sold you the game.

Btw better competetive game for less than $50 = JK2

Fanboy game for $50 = JA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Jawa8578

"I'm a complete moron who hasn't the slightest clue of what I speak of"

We're in agreement then. Fantastic!

 

BTW;

 

Jawa8578

Bantha Fodder

Registered: Nov 2003

Location:

Posts: 45

 

You didn't just happen to make a new account because your last one was banned for childish tantrums? Nah, couldn't be. ;)

 

Perhaps it was said best...

Originally posted by Akshara

There is a movement across the forums for all those who don't like JA, think it's uncompetitive, and think the removal of the "jump-kick" makes MP totally useless, to insult everybody who enjoys JA as being "unskilled noobs" who obviously sucked at JO. These kind of comments are generally either an espousal of ignorance at best; or the mark of "a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" at worst.

Amen.

Originally posted by TK8252MJL

None of the models that are selected in the profile screen are the reskins. A direct reskin is a skin that was made directly off of a model, with no modifications done to the model itself.

Do you honestly have any idea what you're talking about? Do you understand what a skin is... what a skin does? Perhaps you do, but frankly it doesn't appear that way.

 

A "skin" is nothing more than a collection of images and a text file. It does nothing more to the model "itself" than modify its visual appearance. I've never heard of a "direct reskin" and I'm hard pressed to imagine what other kinds of skins someone could propose there are supposed to be.

 

Icons appear in the profile screen (assuming the skin HAS a complementary icon image) solely on the basis of whether or not they are named appropriately (icon_blue, icon_red, icon_default).

Originally posted by TK8252MJL

My point is: The Jawa has absolutely nothing made, such as icons, team colors, and bots for multiplayer. I assume that that must mean that for some reason, Raven tried to keep the Jawa out of the game.

Ah speculation. I've already given my theory, but here's one more:

Originally posted by TK8252MJL

yet another of Raven's screwups

:)

Originally posted by TK8252MJL

I've already seen enough buggy hits on the Jawa to make up my mind.

Then you shouldn't have any compunction about a challenge to visit my server sometime and "pwn" everyone while playing the "invulnerable" Jawa model. Or do you lack faith in your conviction? ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Jawa8578

The bug can be fixed (such as x-mod for JK2) however, the devs in their infinite wisdom couldn't be bothered to fix the 2 year old bug and sold you the game.

Btw better competetive game for less than $50 = JK2

Fanboy game for $50 = JA

So if you are an uber-competative player, why are you even here arguing about JA? If you really feel that only people who are complete noobs would ever like this game, shouldn't you, with your uber-skillz, go back to JO or any variety of other FPS? Maybe a lot of people here don't give a rats ass about competative ladders and tournaments or if there is imperfect physics.

 

Just playing for fun is just as good a reason for playing as only playing to win. Coming here and flaming people isn't going to make them quit playing the game or change why they play it. The majority of people got what they wanted when they bought this game. If JO is a cheaper alternative for what you want, then by all means play that game. I'm not sure what you are trying to convince people of here. I'm quite willing to admit that the physics system isn't perfect. But in the end, I don't really care, because it doesn't destroy the fun for me. Whether that makes me a newb or not, I really don't give a ****.

 

In the end, if you don't like the game, then you don't have to play it. I don't see how others playing and enjoying it affects you in any way. We are happy to discuss flaws in the game, but calling people names and insulting them is just trolling. Badly, I might add. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by TK8252MJL

Well, while Han, Luke, and Leia all had outstanding luck with dealing with Stormtroopers, all over the galaxy there were Stormtroopers conquering all who apposed them. Remember that there were billions, if not trillions of Stormtroopers spread out over the entire galaxy. So there was a lot being done in the galaxy that was never shown in the movies.

 

How did this turn into a discussion about Stormtroopers...? :D

 

My theory is that Stormtroopers aren't very good at handling unexpected situations. Every time we see stormtroopers fight the movie characters, they're almost always doing something crazy. (Han charging a platoon of troopers, under attack by primitive teddy bears, etc) Whenever it's a standard battle, the stormtroopers seem to clean house.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Akshara

I rest my case.

 

Originally posted by KaiaSowapit

I must be lacking in common sense.

 

I can be immature with quotes too.

But if you can't win an arguement, you evidentally resort to flaming. Try a counter arguement and grow up. GF.

Then again, I'm not the one who is upset that a model has been banned...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Jawa8578

But if you can't win an arguement, you evidentally resort to flaming. Try a counter arguement and grow up.

Previously posted by Jawa8578

I hear one thing from you "I'm a complete moron who hasn't the slightest clue of what I speak of"

Yes, it's quite evident that you are no stranger to flaming.

 

Frankly, I'm not convinced an "argument" took place. You stated at best an opinion, "the physics aren't working correctly." You express this with an unsubstantiated "authority" and then browbeat anyone who dares to disagree or offer an alternative explanation. Prove your case.

Previously posted by Jawa8578

The point is that they are shaky...so they're not shaky for everyone, exactly the same way.

Some times a hit misses, other times it hits. Some times a miss misses, other times it hits. Although lag could make it worse, this is an actual bug that wass present in JK2, but is much more noticable here. It would appear that the damage boxes have caused the bug to escalate.

Conjecture, speculation and opinion. For all we know, what you're describing could be attributed to:

  1. [*]a poor internet connection for you, the host server, and/or the other clients

[*]inadequate hardware/software (video card, cpu, drivers, etc.)

[*]a lack of patience/experience/skill (quite simply you could be a sore loser with delusions of grandeur)

[*]unrealistic expectations of how "realistic" the physics of dynamic saber combat "should be" from a Quake-based engine

[*]an illegitimate copy of the game[/list=A]

Originally posted by Jawa8578

Then again, I'm not the one who is upset that a model has been banned...

Neither am I. Not because I think they're an exploit, but simply because they're non-sensical. I'm not a fan of six-foot-tall Jawas. I think they look foolish.

 

My sole purpose for posting on this thread was to debate whether or not the model is "bugged." Your purpose here appears to be more of an attempt to deride this into another "Raven didn't design this game to my satisfaction" rant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...