Home

Simple fix for framerate issues

Jah Warrior

Hi all,

As some others here will know there is a serious framerate issue in Jedi Academy, with frames dropping as low as 20fps in places for me even with my 9800 pro.

I loaded the matrix dojo map in JA to see the difference in frame rate and it was significant to say the least. (approximately half of the framerate i would get in JK2).:eek:

Anyways i messed around in console and i found a setting that will give a SIGNIFICANT boost to framerate without any noticable adverse effects on picture quality.

the command is :-

r_dynamicglow 0 (1 by default)

If that helps anyone else get their framerate up then cool.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK i just, did an experiment:-

I set the game up with 4xAA 16xAF @ 1280 x 1024 full details set in options/setup and here is what I found.

With the settings described above I started out with 45fps on matrix dojo map, I turned off r_dynamicglow and my framerate jumped to 90fps and the same increases are clearly evident in the other duel maps.

I do NOT knwo what that setting does but it's clear that it alleviates a lot of the stress on the graphics card, although I really could not see any benefit to having it enabled at all.

If some bright spark could enlighten us as to the implications and purpose of r_dynamicglow I would be interested to hear it.

Originally posted by Andy867

The dynamic glow, which can be turned off in the setup => video options, produces a "warm" glow like effect in the levels.

I know the one you mean andy, but this setting is not the same. If you turn of dynamic lighting in setup the saber glows are removed, this setting does not do that.... the whole thing is still a mystery to me.

@jarjar, yeah i know what yer syain I also like to play with EVERYTHING turned on, however JK3 gave me worse framerates than teh Halflife 2 demos until i turned this mystery command off.

Originally posted by Jah Warrior

I know the one you mean andy, but this setting is not the same. If you turn of dynamic lighting in setup the saber glows are removed, this setting does not do that.... the whole thing is still a mystery to me.

the one that turns of the Saber glow is Dynamic Lighting not Dynamic Glow.

both are options in the set up menu. the command u gave just turns off the Dynamic glow.

and as andy said Dymanic Glow can be turned of in your set up.

just make sure u turn of glow and not lighting

Originally posted by Jah Warrior

andy knows what he's talking about.

dynamic glow = aura around everything that produces light or looks illuminated (compare when looking at lava, for the most obvious change)

dynamic light = light from sabers, projectiles, explosions

Originally posted by t3rr0r

andy knows what he's talking about.

dynamic glow = aura around everything that produces light or looks illuminated (compare when looking at lava, for the most obvious change)

dynamic light = light from sabers, projectiles, explosions

right now that makes sense to me, however, i didnt notice any difference in image quality with it on/off.

odd really.

Yeah, damn that dynamic glow. I run at 1600x1200+ with my GeForce 5200, and get an average 60 fps with dynamic glow off. Running at Hi Rez, or even if I dumb down to 800x600 dynamic glow always seems to drop the framerate to 30fps.

It all depends really, on some levels dynamic glow(ie.where there alot of lighting effects) just makes it look eerie and awesome. Other levels, eg. yalara it makes no huge difference at all. To me it really seems almost more of an 'ambience' setting.

At the end of the day, I am more of a speed freak, and love to run at Hi rez and Hi fps...as things go so fast you wont have time to notice the glow anyway :p

Have fun !

MTFBWYA

With my 9700 Pro, the latest drivers don't like the dynamic glow at all. I always get wierd flashes on the screen when I move around -- ESPECIALLY on the Corellian level.

So James Monroe can stuff it...

Okay, I'm just fooling around. He shouldn't stuff anything. '-p

But seriously, I had to revert back to Cat 3.6 because of that problem with dynamic glow. And unlike everyone else here, my framerate is fine and I enjoy having dynamic glow on. Coruscant just doesn't look the same without it.

I'll wait for 3.8.

are ya'll refering to the full game only? i found with the demo i had 25 fps. on a radeon 9000 in my laptop.

i then went to my d3d settings in display and turned down the texture rendering by a notch back towards performance rather than quality and turned it back up and my frames went back normal 90 fps.. and 50 or 60 with activity on the screen.

but i guess you mean the full game.

If there is someone a bit 'techy' out there, can they tell us why dynamic glow drops the fps. I have tweaked video settings and whatever I have it on dynamic glow *always* reduced it to 25-30 fps.

It definitely makes some of the levels appear more 'cinematic' ...... since I guess is relevant seeing that most films, in whatever format run at these framerates. If anyone has ever watched a movie in 60fps then i'd like to know !

I couldnt seem to find the dynamic glow option in MP setup options, am I looking hard enough !?!?! (havent played MP much yet anyways)

MTFBWYA

You people with super computers and having those kind of problems.

I have a decent computer and all my games work fine (low res low everything but ohh well), JO did, and so JA demo.

By the way, how do you check your framerate and does it has something to do with the ping?

Archived