Home

Simple fix for framerate issues

Jah Warrior

I sort of explored this :

r_dynamicglow apparently depends on a card's multitexturing capabilities.

Apparently there's also a cvar called

r_dynamicglowpasses (default value 5)

that's cheat protected that allows you to adjust how many passes the game will take to render that dynamic glow effect.

There are also other cvars that are cheat protected that allows you to play with the r_dynamicglow settings

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the tip.

Couple of things I've noticed about it.

With my 5900, 1600x1200 with 4x AA and 8x AF is ~17-25fps with dynmic glow on. That said, every once in a while it drops to 1-2 fps. No joke. 1-2, and will just stay there, so since around 20 was a bit low anyway, I've just used 1280x1024.

Now, with dynamic glow off, I average probably 55-65fps at 1600x1200 4x AA and 8x AF. Inside it is sometimes over 100fps.

However, I have noticed one thing, sometimes, when my back is against a wall (literally) and sabers strike, the entire screen flashes an almost blank white. Sort of odd. Not sure, I think I may stick with 1280 with it on, but it is a neat option to play with.

Originally posted by EekTheKat

I sort of explored this :

r_dynamicglow apparently depends on a card's multitexturing capabilities.

Apparently there's also a cvar called

r_dynamicglowpasses (default value 5)

that's cheat protected that allows you to adjust how many passes the game will take to render that dynamic glow effect.

There are also other cvars that are cheat protected that allows you to play with the r_dynamicglow settings

hmmm, 5 passes is a lot of passes. That's probably where the performance hit comes from.

Guest Novelle Tion

Sounds like they did a pretty crap job on this dynamic glow... they should call it Dynamic Slow.

*BUDUU CHIIIIIIISH*

Thank you very much ladies and gentlemen I'll be here all night!

The cynic in me would call this cheap gag to distract from the fact that the core of their engine is old as your grandma (OMG look at how JKA challenges my system! It really is kind of modern!), but this really begs the question: why would you try and make an FPS that looks like your grandma f.uck like her too? Something that doesn't look that good to begin with shouldn't run like ass.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks

I prefer to have everything on highest detail and get 25-30 fps than play on medium or low settings to get 80+ fps, unlike most people low fps dosen't bother me much (unless it goes below 15, then it gets annoying).

I am the same way. I guess we'll just have to suffer with low framerate lets just say "Its are lot in life".

Novelle, you don't have to play it if you don't want to.

For myself, I love the dynamic glow, because it makes my saber look cool. And the game is the best one with jedi and lightsabers available, so I'm not going to complain. Raven did a great job overall. :thmbup1: A few bugs are not going to make me stop playing it.

Originally posted by Samuel Dravis

For myself, I love the dynamic glow, because it makes my saber look cool. And the game is the best one with jedi and lightsabers available, so I'm not going to complain. Raven did a great job overall. :thmbup1: A few bugs are not going to make me stop playing it.

I agree with you on the lightsabers JA has the best sabers. God do you guys remember DFII lightsabers those light sticks. LOL. anyway they were so bad I had to download Glowsaber 3.0 of SFX sabers just if I wanted to play it.

Guest Novelle Tion
Originally posted by Samuel Dravis

Don't worry, I don't play it. I just needed an excuse to force grandmas and sex in the same sentence. Fear not! :sweat:

• 2 months later...

what should i do then. you guys are talking about 80+ fps. i'm going crazy. p4c (800fsb Ht) pc3200 512ddr asus radeon 9600XT. im having so low fps even when i turn of the dynamic glow s**t off. shouldnt i be able to run the game smoothly at 1024x768 6xaa 16xaf everthing in the game setup top-notched? i'll die soon. please find a way out. or ill throw this god damned piece of junk out of my windows!

Actullay turning video sync off also helps increase fps, about 10-20 fps boost. Really.

Oh and you dont need 4x or higher AA and AF, it doesnt really make a difference, also helps boost your fps.

My AF and AA is set to controled.

The best way to increase fps is lowering your res (800x600 or 1024x764 is enough) setting higher than that dropped my fps to 20+ on korriban.

Originally posted by TuRKiSHPSYCHo!!

what should i do then. you guys are talking about 80+ fps. i'm going crazy. p4c (800fsb Ht) pc3200 512ddr asus radeon 9600XT. im having so low fps even when i turn of the dynamic glow s**t off. shouldnt i be able to run the game smoothly at 1024x768 6xaa 16xaf everthing in the game setup top-notched? i'll die soon. please find a way out. or ill throw this god damned piece of junk out of my windows!

just lower or even turn off your AA and AF. Put it like around 2x or 4x, if you put it higher, you'lll just get framedrops.

I know these but shouldnt i be able to play smoothly with everything top-notched with my system? It looks pretty cool to me! Im giving detailed specs:

Asus P4C800 M/B

Intel P4C 2.6 800fsb Ht

128 MB Asus Radeon 9600XT

512MB (2x256 Dual) 400Mhz CL2.5 Twinmos Memory

SBLive!5.1

SyncMaster 763MB

I think it's pretty enough to play almost any game around with every setting on its best. I just made a benchmark with 3DMark 2000 and got what? 4500 pts. I mark you 3DMark 2000 not 2003 or smthng(perhaps it was because 2000 was older?). I got 5000 on my previous system asus p2b, pIII-500, 320 pc100 sd, 64MB g-force2 mx400. This one is obviously better in games but i don't think that is the real performance it can give. It can't be. I got catalyst 3.10 and dx9b and latest versions of any drivers/progz that u can think of installed! Oh god someone help me please! I'm going nuts! Not only in JK:JA also a popular car racing game ;-P which can be thought as pretty recent and on some points of each track fps lowers so much you wouldnt believe it. Please help ASAP! Or i'll suicide by banging my head on my desk!

My final's are just over and i want to play smthng! I always dreamed of this day and...........goes on bla bla bla!

That's only if you don't have sufficient video RAM to hold the textures. If you don't, it's gotta start swapping with system RAM, which...is slow. I remember in Yavin Swamp on my GF3, highest texture detail was ~5 FPS faster than the lowest.

Turning off aa solves the problem? Why is that aa makes problem with JA! Is there a problem with ATI Radeon series cards or is it just me? I think it should be no problem for the card or the system to play JA with aa!

Its not ATI Radeon, im using an nVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 ultra and i get the same problem even on 2x AA/AF.

Same for all video cards, incuding those high end ones

Turning off aa solves the problem?

Yes, so does AF. You dont really need that much AF, it can be controled in the "more video settings in the options. Mine is in the middle, just nice. :)

While i have my AA set to controled

Oh thanks |GG|Crow_Nest! I'll just ask one more thing. Have you benchmarked with 3dmark03? Is ~3800 points normal for my system? And i get like ~250 fps for the first test (the one with the planes) and ~25 fps with the rest. Is that normal too? and And by the way AF does not slow JA down! Only have problems with AA! Really thanx for being so helpfull and patient with me!

The problem a lot of people seemed to be having (the patch supposedly fixed this) is that not all video cards support Dynamic Glow (and you need the right drivers of course, many of which were only recently updated) but it seemed like you STILL got a performance hit if Dynamic Glow was on even if your card didn't support it.

My GeForce2 doesn't seem to support it, but I now notice no drop in FPS by having it on. I have the latest drivers but Dynamic Glow is just "nothing" for me either way.

Dynamic Lights are nice and JA still looks prettier overall than JK2 did on my system (and yet the performance is within 5 fps of JK2).

I really messed with dynamic glow a lot. But it does not seem to make a performance hit on me. (not more than -5 fps) But AA seems to be a huge one. I do have some kind of a problem with my system but i don't really know what. I'll try all my components on a friends power supply and main board tomorrow. If it ever looks better than mine i'll just sell all my system and buy a new one because bot his power and main board is much worse that mine. Mines are 400W Ever-Power/Asus P4C800 his is 300W Ever-Power/Asus P4S8X! Tomorrow is the turn of the tide for me :)

Oh thanks |GG|Crow_Nest! I'll just ask one more thing. Have you benchmarked with 3dmark03? Is ~3800 points normal for my system? And i get like ~250 fps for the first test (the one with the planes) and ~25 fps with the rest. Is that normal too? and And by the way AF does not slow JA down! Only have problems with AA! Really thanx for being so helpfull and patient with me!

SAme for me, i get 200 and above fps for the airplanes, and 20 and below for the rest. :(

I have AA and AF set to controlled. (i think)

My highest 3dmark was 3585. But that was when i was using the 53.03 drivers, im now using 53.04 and i get lower.

I would be getting higher if could just turn of video sync in 3dmark 2003.

Archived