Home

Dark Forces (The Original)

Bobo Donkey™

Dark Forces is a great game. I too, was in high school when the game was released and played the game constantly. There are some really great custom levels fans made too (anyone remember the Crow's Nest?). I haven't really played the game in awhile, I think the last time I played the game all the way through was in 2000 or so. Dark Forces, DFII Jedi Knight/MoTS I recommend to anyone who is a Star Wars fan.

Agreement there. :) I still count DF as one of the better FPS I've played.

As a side note: I suppose this is another thread resurrection, though a few months apart is about the average post ratio for this part of the forums, it seems. :rolleyes:

Yup, I agree. Before Dark Forces I only played FPS very sparingly, namely Doom, Ken's Labyrinth, and of course Wolfenstein 3D. I was more of an adventure gamer (Monkey Island, Fate of Atlantis, Loom etc.) and was playing X-Wing religiously at the time too. When Dark Forces came out I was flat out addicted to the game, and just when I thought my interest in the game was waning the third party levels started coming - and there are ALOT of them out there.

• 2 years later...

Dark Forces was just incredible back then. I was a Star Wars fanatic in those days, reading all the novels, mags, following the special edition movies, prequel news, and playing all of the games. Dark Forces was the first official SW first person shooter. There was Star Wars Doom before that tho and it was pretty good! :)

DF just has great atmosphere to it, brought from an obviously talented group of developers. The original music was incredible, with Bajakian, Land, and McConnell doing brilliant work just like with TIE Fighter. Man those were the days! It was just pure euphoria to be able to explore SW in the 1st person for the first time. I would love to have that kind of quality effort be put into a SW game again. LucasArts isn't even remotely the same company anymore though.

I still think DF is the best in the series. It has the premise that I most enjoy. Mercenary Katarn, hardcore ex-Imperial, but just a regular guy. The game is very military and very dark. I just dig that kind of sci-fi.

• 1 year later...

DF can stand on its own. I was raised on FPS and Point and Click Adventures. I think that Dark Forces had alot of cool ideas and is worth it for the first mission alone. By the way, does anyone remember the tubby fellow that was hiding in the sewers or any of the Easter Eggs in the game?

• 3 months later...