Home

question for which I will be known as "The Stupid Guy"

Mr. Teliot

Your answer requires a rather long explanation. But that certainly is not a stupid question.

In 1990, the FM Towns system was a Japanese brand of computer put out by Fujitsu. More than a few games from the West were ported to it. Because of the more advanced capabilities of the FM Towns (256 color art, a CD drive, and 320x240 resolution for games) sometimes the games for it were superior to their PC counterparts.

LucasArts' games are no exception. Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, released only in 16 colors with sparse music and sound on PC, was rereleased in 256 colors with CD audio on FM Towns. Likewise, Loom's 16 color disk version was also given 256 colors and CD music (but it has no voice, unlike the later PC CD version of Loom). Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade got CD audio as well.

By the time Monkey Island 1 and 2 and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis were released, the Western PCs were catching up to the Japanese models, and there were few significant differences in the PC and FM Towns versions of these games. I believe MI1 had CD audio, like the PC CD version, but the games actually looked uglier on FM Towns. Their inventory and icons were reduced to 16 colors or so.

The FM Towns versions of games are rare, but they are quite highly prized in the community. Having boxed copies is almost unheard of. Zak McKracken and Loom in particular had their box art radically altered.

I hope this long message has been of some use. And if you choose to try to track down these games, good luck.

What the heck is FMTOWNS?

Om du åker 30 mil till Kristinehamn så skall jag visa dig vad FM towns är och alla spel till den. Zak 256 ser "skapligt" bra ut.

In English for those who's interested:

If you drive 60 miles to Kristinehamn I'll show you what a Fm Towns is and all games for it. Zak 256 looks "quite" good.

/CC

Archived