Home

Fps? (First Person Shooter)

cayqel

Okay so this may have been brought up before, but since search is dissabled I didn't find it. With such a focus on saber combat should JA be considered a fps? Atleast the first few levels of JO were pure FPS, but I'm nearlly finished with the game and would say I've played less than 5% of the game in first person, let alone shooting.

Like I said, if this has been dealt with already, delete this and re-enable search.

Well, I played mostly with lightsabers drawn...but I did use guns in most levels as well - in first person. So that counts as a First Person Shooter, in my book.

I do understand your point, though. ;)

I would hate to see first person perspective removed completely from any further games in the series...because I find first person more immersive when exploring environments. I don't really like being able to see around corners, until I've walked around the corner (or leaned around to have a peek).

The 3rd person is definitely needed for the melee/saber fighting, though. Even though I've used first person for sabers in the past games, with the wealth of moves this time around, I don't think it would have worked.

What I would prefer is that when your lightsaber is switched off that you could retain a first person perspective, so you can still be immersed in the environment more, while having the lightsaber at readiness.

Maybe that's just nitpicking, though... :p

Well considering only 4 out of the 16 weapons are third person only I'd say it still counts as an FPS.

In SP a person may use the saber almost exclusively, but in MP First Person is the preferred mode for most people (exceptions exist of course).

The beauty of the JK series is that you can use First or Third person to your liking (although the developers obviously encourage first person guns and third person melee weapons).

Vehicles are all third person, but that's another story...

I don't think it really matters. The genres are just there to simplify searching and categorization, they can be fairly arbitrary at times. What it comes down to is that the genre says very little about an actual game. For all I care they could call it a racing sim, that wouldn't really change the fact that the game kicks ass.

It's true this game does kick some ass, i only wish they could have implemented the first person saber to accomodate the entire community as opposed to most of it. And unfortunately it seems, from what i've heard that the first person option isn't even being considered by raven. They claim they'd have to do over 2000 new animations for the option, which in my opinion is an excuse as you can play a quasi first person game, only the opaque skin gets in the way. Still hoping for a mod or a patch, though i don;t think they'll do a patch, not even with a generic transparent skin. I would do it but i don;t know how to code the game or what file to manipulate..... bummer:mad:

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

They claim they'd have to do over 2000 new animations for the option, which in my opinion is an excuse as you can play a quasi first person game, only the opaque skin gets in the way.

I have to agree :(

Nobody has ever asked them 2000 new animations. Only change the camera position and a trasparent skin.

Personaly I would love to see a first person saber patch for Academy , I played Outcast almost 100 percent with the saber and only used 3rd person when fighting other jedi, the special moves just aren't needed for the cannon fodder, though they looked cool. 1st person is much more emersive and atmospheric.

I am playing academy with mostly the saber (cos the other weapons seem to have been weakened) but I don't feel as involved in my character, its just tombraider with lightsabers, yes the new moves look good and I know they couldn't work 1st person (just like outcast) but I wish raven had given us the choice to play the game how we choose, after all when we've paid our £30 or 50€,( or what ever in $'s) isn't it up to us what we make of the game! if they could offer the 1st person in Outcast, I can't see the difficulty in Academy, after all it's only a tweeked version of the same engine!

I guess at the risk of sounding abit odd with the other three jediknight games I was the jedi, but in academy I just control it (him/her) and its just not the same!!

Lets hope Valve don't make the mistake of making the crowbar (or its equivalent) in halflife 2 3rd person only!!

I have to admit, as much as I love JA, I didnt have much need to use the guns at all in SP.; The stouker did help sometimes though with those souped up troopers.....Sure I love the saber(s), but in JO there were points in the game where you just had to use an alternative weapon....

I would call this game more of a TPS, "Third person saber" experience

MTFBWYA

Archived