Home

A whole new dimension...

StaffMaster

While it may not be a new concept to online gaming.

Multi Player siege mode is the most fun i have had with the JK series online in a while.

Riding swoops,killing Rancors,having intense fights for minutes at a time for key objectives.

and of course the angle thats unique to the Star Wars Universe the ever faithful lightsaber(saber staff being my personal favorite)

That being said are there plans to expand on this in the future?

I would definitely be willing to pursuse this new aspect of online JK play further.

Or is it gonna be left up to the mod community to expand on this concept.

Oh and let me not forget to mention the game i was playing last night where we were really laying it on the opposing team with one mean AT-AT.

Come to think of it I would kill for a MMOFPS where LARGE teams are fighting across a battlefield ala "Clone Wars" with AT-AT's and walkers and what not across the landscape.:cool:

Have I talked too much?;)

I don't care to much for siege mode. If im a jedi I get stuck with a stupid saber...mainly the staff. Duals are so so (i can live with em). Single is best but the time i got singles there was no light stance! Grrrr

Plus most the games ive been in are so packed full its just spam all over.

:p :p

well i want both of em in future incarnations of the game.

Hell we can have the heavy armor carriers swooping down on the battlefield and unloading walkers on the fly.

I see all sorts of great possibilities for this.

Lets see if they share the same frame of mind.

Originally posted by StaffMaster

While it may not be a new concept to online gaming.

Multi Player siege mode is the most fun i have had with the JK series online in a while.

Riding swoops,killing Rancors,having intense fights for minutes at a time for key objectives.

and of course the angle thats unique to the Star Wars Universe the ever faithful lightsaber(saber staff being my personal favorite)

That being said are there plans to expand on this in the future?

...Have I talked too much?;)

I think the only "expansion" this will get is community made maps. I can't draw a straight line with an Etch-A-Sketch, never mind make a map, but I can imagine that making good Siege maps would take forever... :(

In regard to limited saber stances etc, that is done purposely! The maps and characters need to be balanced, so some jedi classes are better than others. Allowing full customization of your class would ruin the game. Some jedi classes, for example, need to have a disadvantage over the opposing jedi simply to balance the battle (imperial single saber and rebel staff on Hoth).

The best example is in the Tatooine mission. The imperial scout class is Boba Fett with a flying ability, who is significantly better than the rebel scout Lando. Without Boba fett, defense on this map would be extremely difficult, especially in the first stage of the battle when the enemy reaches the wall breach objective. Without the ability to nail the attackers in the back (using the jetpack), the enemy would be mostly undisturbed as it's hard for the defenders on the wall to get a nice shot when the enemy is directly below them.

It's all about balance! There's a reason for limited saber stances/force powers, weaker classes etc. Customizing a map with maxed out weapons and abilities would screw everything up.

Winters

:fett:

Yeah I was readin the otherday about how you can even get broadband access in third world countries now.

Yet ppl here are still using snailmodem

go figure:confused: :(

P.S.

I have never subscribed to the idead of catering to the lowest common denominator.

"Build it and they will come"

To quote a famous movie line.

Im currently programming in another field but

find interest in gaming

I may start looking for some investment and start a software entertainment enterprise.

Like I read on someone elses thread if ur gonna spend so much time complaining to Raven about how you want this and that changed then go create your own game.

BTW Im jus fine with Academy the

way it is.

THe leet community that is having hissy fits about things being nerfed are jus annoyed because the one thing the

y got good at has now been made more available to those who dont spend 20 hours a day playing online.

Its human nature to want to feel elite and above the crowd. Now you have to actually practice saber defense and offense instead of spamming kicks or DFA's all day long.

Life is about overcoming and adapting to it.

s

Originally posted by Igor_Cavkov

can someone post a link for a mapmaking tool?? i would wanna make some cool SP and MP maps/missions

I would wait till they realease a map tool package for Academy or something.

thats what they did for UT2K3 and that was the easiest thing i ever used.

Everything is prepackaged so u could make your own maps in a snap.

Ummm... as far as I know, they've released the tools... more than a year ago... in fact. I don't see why you can't use the original JKRadient to map for Academy. Same engine. The only difference would be telling it where to find the textures and stuff.

At least... I hope it's the same. I'll go try it tonight.

From what I know (and I've been doing the whole modding thing with Raven games for 2-3 years now) they're working with the makers of GTKRadiant (a very fine mapping tool - "Made by the community, for the community") to release an official mapping program, right now the compiler that comes with the current GTK actually has support for jedi academy, it's just not much use without all the entity definitions etc. Anyhow it's here - http://www.qeradiant.com . You can, by all means, start mapping for JA now and even test your maps! Just you can't add all the custom stuff yet, we'll need the official stuff before we can create siege maps (which will require scripting) and use the new entities.

BTW I would absolutely love to create a siege map with someone as I find that gametype to be a mouth dropper :p If anyone has any experience with Radiant or learns how to use it fast (but good), let me know! Joint maps always work well!

Technically the compiler and the mapping tool is the same as JO, it's just newer versions :p It's like technically JA is not a new game, just a build from JO, and JO is a build from EF (the JO code actually has some stuff relating to EF still in it lol)....but it's updated enough to be considered a new compiler/editor :D

There's always someone around here...shame isn't it?

Just to make it clear, I love EF, JO and JA and apart from the obvious JA speed issues (frames per second I mean) I have no tiffs, but they are all made by Raven and all do use the same code base so please lets not turn this into yet another thread war, k peeps? :p

Archived