Home

Level, or more likely ''skill'' mod/system?

Master William

I am tired of one thing, and it's the following...

A padawan in my clan is on a training with me. We duel, he wins.

I used to win all the time, suddenly fate changes and decides to give my padawan luck. And I even taught him all those tricks.

Now, what I want to see is some sort of level-up mod, or something with ''growing skills''.

This would fit. And for a certain level, you gained a new title, such as Jedi Master, or Sith Lord, etc.

You could gain experience in duels, by winning them of course.

Now that I am prepared for my division, or a 'house' as we call it in my clan, I want to be able to give off the impression that I am a master.

How silly is it to see me lose in a duel vs. one of my Padawans when I am the deputy head of the clan?

Very silly...

If I could train up, and now since the game is new, I will take in low-skilled and low-leveled padawans, and I will actually be able to win against them, like in the movies.

Wouldn't it be silly seeing Yoda duel a padawan, and then he loses? How stupid is that?

I am not saying I suck, what I am saying is that any Padawan could come up and just grip or stab you quickly to death.

Since JA is a big swing-saber fest, atleast for me, I do not play as an experienced player.

Sure, tell me to go play KOtOR, but I sure won't.

I mean, just imagine being a Sith Master, after a hard work of playing, and finally be able to swoop lower ranked people just like that, or punish them in new ways.

This is how I feel about a new mod... For JA of course.

I hope this doesn't bring up a big debate to have it or not...

But this is what I wish, a skill system.

What is this nonsense ? Normal clans don't have such things, usually they have one or few leaders and rest are just normal players with no special titles or names...

And yes this sounds more like you want RPG or one of those stupid JK2 admin mods instead of FPS, I would have suggested Kotor to you but since you insisted that you don't want to play it... well maybe you should go back to play some old JK2 serverside sitting & sleeping game. And wouldn't it be a bit unfare to all others if there would be this one player no one can kill, no matter how good you are and just bacause he is "master" ?

And why do you think you self as a "master." Just because you made your self a clan so you don't need to level up ? Maybe you are a padawan your self ? You should train a bit and you wont be as easy target to other padawans :D

Uh, what a horrible idea.

You want to be "master" and never lose a fight because you're the "master" while others are merely "padawans".

I'm really trying hard not to flame here. Really.

I'm not sure how to put this.. but if you LOSE, the opponent was better. It matters not who has which rank in your made-up little world. Just because you're the leader of the Drizz't Do'Urden house, it doesn't mean that everyone else should let you beat them.

It seems to me that you're one of those people who hang on a clan server and when I come in and happen to beat the admin (Oh noeeezz!!), they go berserk and start kicking me off their server. Why? because they can't handle losing. Their ego can't handle the fact that someone made their virtual jedi die. Their ego needs things like empowerment and admin commands so that they can keep up the illusion of being the unbeatable master of Jedi Academy.

You said it yourself: "I am teh YodaSithMaster House Lord Leader! How silly would it be if someone beat the YodaSithMaster!!? That would spoil my star warz universe thingy and make me realize that I'm not really teh YodaSithMaster and more skillzored than the whole universe and honoured by everyone.

If you can't handle getting your ass handed to you, you need to give up multiplayer gaming. If you need some sort of retarded mod to protect your "honour" and amazing record of never losing a single fight you need to quit playing multiplayer games.

I sincerely hope you do not make your server free for the public.

You, the finnish guy that just flamed me. Please keep your rude stupid comments out of this thread, I don't feel like talking to people like you, I met your kind on many forums.

Who cares, everyone hates the idea, so lock this and live happily in your saber-swing game for all the years that it will last. If it will that is.

Originally posted by Master William

You, the finnish guy that just flamed me. Please keep your rude stupid comments out of this thread, I don't feel like talking to people like you, I met your kind on many forums.

Dunno if I'm the Finn you mean (seems to be 2 of us here saying basically the same thing), but whatever... you're right and your idea is superb, sir master. Please wake me up and please don't ban me from this thread. I promise to act exactly like you want me to and say exactly the things you want me to say, sir. Sorry to ruin your perfect forum experience by suggestiong that your idea is horrible and has no place in a FPS multiplayer game. :):rolleyes:

A padawan in my clan is on a training with me. We duel, he wins.

I used to win all the time, suddenly fate changes and decides to give my padawan luck. And I even taught him all those tricks.

Now, what I want to see is some sort of level-up mod, or something with ''growing skills''.

This would fit. And for a certain level, you gained a new title, such as Jedi Master, or Sith Lord, etc.

Fate didn't change. Skill levels changed. And your padawan's skills level changed faster than yours did.

I don't think this idea makes sense. The whole point of balancing the game is so that every player has an equal footing so their in theory their "skill" is what differentiates between a good player and bad player (lag and things of that nature not withstanding). In movie terms, the Master should be able to defeat the Padawan because he should be more skillfull. What you are proposing is throwing balance out the window to make up for the fact that your padawan has more skill than you do. This doesn't sound very appealing to me, or to anyone who might end up being a padawan. If you want a title, just put a title in your name. If you really want an advantage, demand your padawan spend less force points than you. I'm sure your padawan will think that sounds like fun :)

You could gain experience in duels, by winning them of course.

Now that I am prepared for my division, or a 'house' as we call it in my clan, I want to be able to give off the impression that I am a master.

But starting out it would be pretty hard to win duels because you would have all these artificial restrictions stacked against you. As the game stands right now, you do gain experience in duels because that is how you learn and get better.

If you want to give the impression that you are the master, being the best player is really the only way to do it. If you set up some handicap system for other players, no one is really going to think you are a skilled master, they are going to rightfully think that you are just winning because you have all these artificial advantages to help you win. I can only see that causing bitterness and resentment, not respect.

How silly is it to see me lose in a duel vs. one of my Padawans when I am the deputy head of the clan?

Very silly...

What seems silly is calling yourself a master when your students are better than you. I don't know much about clan politics, but I would think the strongest clans would have their best player as leader. If you are losing to others in you clan, you are not the best player.

If I could train up, and now since the game is new, I will take in low-skilled and low-leveled padawans, and I will actually be able to win against them, like in the movies.

Wouldn't it be silly seeing Yoda duel a padawan, and then he loses? How stupid is that?

In the movies, sometimes the most experienced fighter doesn't always win. Darth Maul defeated a more experienced Qui-Gon, and Obi-Wan defeated a more experienced Darth Maul.

It would be stupid to see Yoda lose against his padawan because he is much more skilled than his padawan. From what you are saying, your padawan is more skilled than you are. This means you are not like Yoda. So it is not silly to see him defeat you, because he is more skilled and thus able to...well...defeat you :D

If he is beating you consistently, he must be not be lower-skilled (or a lower level) than you. He is more skilled and presumably at a higher level. Good on him, really, because he has learned how to play the game at a higher level.

I am not saying I suck, what I am saying is that any Padawan could come up and just grip or stab you quickly to death.

And you could do the same to him. Where the skill comes in is who can do it better. From the sounds of it, he can.

Since JA is a big swing-saber fest, atleast for me, I do not play as an experienced player.

You are saying that JA is basically a random swing fest. From what I have seen, if you play this way you are going to lose a lot more than you win. And if you do not play as an experienced player, why do you expect to win?

Sure, tell me to go play KOtOR...

You really should go play KOTOR, since that has exactly what you are asking for. You are asking for predetermined outcomes for the fights. KOTOR does this beautifully. JA does not, because the skill of the player determines this, regardless of how long they have been playing. JA is providing something you clearly do not want...

but I sure won't.

Too bad. I hear that it is an outstanding game. I can't wait for it to come out for the PC. I'm definitely getting it :)

I mean, just imagine being a Sith Master, after a hard work of playing, and finally be able to swoop lower ranked people just like that, or punish them in new ways.

But if you learn how to play at a higher level, you can swoop over lesser players and kill them. Unfortunately, not everyone can be at the higher level Sith Master. Right now, you are the lower ranked person and the Sith Master is swooping down on you. :)

But why would you want to punish them? Have they done sonething wrong?

This is how I feel about a new mod... For JA of course.

You are entitled to want it, and entitled to make it. But I really can't see something like this taking off at all. This is taking RPGing to a whole new level, and we've all seen what kind of responses that can get :D

I hope this doesn't bring up a big debate to have it or not...

But this is what I wish, a skill system.

It likely won't bring up debate, but it will likely receive comments of what people think of this idea :D

I gave it more thought and I decided it didn't sound so good.

And by the way, my student is once again weaker than me.. Yay!

I didn't want to get a mod like this just because my students can own me or something, I wanted to experience the movies, but I don't feel like that anymore.

Besides, it would be too complicated. The normal way is better IMO, and I won't care if even a newbie kills me, it doesn't mean I suck.

I guess I had problems facing the fact that my student kept winning. After all, he learned those tricks from me (I taught him the tactics, etc) And I actually promoted him for showing off such skills. He is the best among all students I have...

And guess what... I have known him since I was a kid :p

Oh and Prime, I mean punishing them as with the Emperor and Luke in ROTJ (I have always dreamed of punishing some lamer by shooting lightning at him, torturing him to death ;) )

Also, I do not understand how to play JA, ok I win more duels than I lose, but still, when force is recharging for those butterfly and katas, I can only swing.

I remember the stances in JO being easy to handle and you could easily learn how to win with them.

With the dual- and staff stances, it feels impossible, because it is just swinging and swinging. I guess I will learn in time though.

Archived