Home

Solo Saber Nerfed Thread

dyehead

This thread is designed to form a consensus of what people are noticing

Anyone notice that the single saber has nowhere near the destructive power of the dual sabers or the light staff?

Red stance:

The DFA has been rendered practically useless, even with mouse sensitivity INCREDIBLY low, and the cursor DIRECTLY on the enemy, when I land, it usually doesn't hit. In JO, I was a master of the DFA, as were most people, I imagine.. but I particularly had the knack of landing it about 95% of the time. I think in the entire week that I've been playing JA, I have killed people 2 or 3 times, and one was an afk.

I have even MISSED afk'ers, or hit them with it and not killed them.

The equivalent moves for the other 2 sabers seem to be 1 hit kills, and have a much wider striking range.

Yellow stance:

The Yellow DFA seems to also be useless. Even when the enemy is directly in front of me, I do not seem to hit them, I haven't tested it as extensively as I have with the red DFA, but this also seems fairly useless.

Blue stance:

The blue lunge seems a bit more difficult to do in JA, I seem to end up rolling more than I'm lunging, then again, it was never my forte', as it was when you could do it in mid-air... I loved the chugchugchugchug you down from high places, was great to not take fall damage :)

Now onto the dual saber and light staff:

I have used both a fair amount, (probably not enough to say I'm really proficient) but it seems to me that these saber styles have an advantage over single saber.

Last night I was in the middle of a Red DFA, and someone did a 'butterfly' or something, and killed me in mid air, when I had 100/25 health/shields.

I guess I find that kind of depressing, considering the former lethal potential of ANYTHING getting in the way of a DFA..

Also, in the various attacks with both the light staff and the dual sabers, they seem to penetrate saber blocking more than the single saber, the light staff does more damage than the solo saber (heavy) in a regular diagonal strike.

If I'm close to anyone with the dual sabers and they just spam attack, I'm usually dead right away, it seems.. I verified this while using it in a crowd of people.

Anyone notice anything similar to this? I'd love to know if I'm the only one who thinks that the sabers are a bit out of balance.

-=DyeHead

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and I suppose I should comment on the required use of force for all decent saber moves, that's pretty annoying.. heh.. Especially since DFA is practically impossible to hit, the cost of force should give you a better ROI.

Oh and another thought..

Alternate fire on light staff (kick) takes no force points from force selection, while saber throw does...

I'd rather trade saber throw (single saber) in for kick :)

Sinlge saber does not need help. I walked onto a server today where every person had a double or dual sabers. I used a single saber, and got like 30 kills in 15 min (above average for me).

The thing is, you have to use katas. That's the only way. Regular sinlg esaber swipes, save the occasional lucky red hit, can't beat double/dualsabers. Heck, a red stance kata can't even beat a dual saber twirl. BUT YOU CAN KILL WITH A SINGLE SABER.

So in order to kill someone I need to use 50 force, and someone with a dual saber or light staff does not?

Did you miss my point entirely?

You have no point. Back in JO, you learned to use the most powerful moves to win. Now learn to use the most powerful sabre styles in JA to win, and stop asking for your OLD favourites to be boosted up in some premature patch.

I think you dodged the point as if it were an arrow careening at you, Al.

I was comparing the saber damage from solo saber to the other sabers.

One hit from the others does a helluva lot more damage than a single red slash.

Man, you are thicker than Oprah's thighs.

YOU meant that you thought your OLD favourite moves from JO should do more damage in JA than they do. You tried to justify that by saying that if a lightsabre passes through the length of the body (as it does in red overhead) it should do LOADSA DAMAGE! YUS!

Obviously you're not familiar with the fact that lightsabres are entirely imaginary and can do as much or as little damage as Raven wants.

You want REAL STARWARS ACTION! Ain't gonna happen. Go and watch the first twenty of RotJ again. ;)

Anyone else see him missing the point? Heh...

How is a light saber damaging in one form, but not another?

Supposedly made of the same thing, no?

Imagine you had one blaster rifle, and your friend had another blaster, they were the same blaster, but his did more damage.

Get the point?

Anyone else see him missing the point? Heh...

How is a light saber damaging in one form, but not another?

Supposedly made of the same thing, no?

Hee hee, what, imaginary laser light? Who says this game has to be realistic? I bet you can quote the relevant line from Star Wars in which Obi-Wan says "Red overhead strike does the same damage as dual left-right slash, Luke, so use red!" :p

Actually, I have been quite happy (and pretty successful) using the single saber. I'll probably play around with the other stances a bit more to see what they are like though. But I don't find that I am at a disadvantage with the single. As for Katas, I find that timing is everything. If you start when someone is a distance away, of course they are going to stay back. But if they want to hit you, they have to get close, and when I time it right I find katas deadly. Not to mention they are great in a crowd in FFA :)

Just my experience so far.

Ok, now you're arguing just to argue.
Umm... good response.

Seriously, you should stop asking Raven to make JA into JO. I don't even know why you bought the darn thing, you're just like Jimmy Stewart in Vertigo, trying to mould a perfectly good looking wench (game) into the image of your dead lover. (JO.)

I agree with every saber problem stated, dyehead. The entire saber system still needs work if ya ask me. It's like we are playing beta JA, (hum....much like the release of a certain popular Star Wars MMORPG......)

Also dark side force dominates, you can drain whore someone and never died if ya want. 90% percent of people use Dark Side, and Staff or Dual Sabers. It's very dissapointing. Playing FFA takes no skill, pick dual or staff, spam katta....drain whore people, spam katta, rinse repeat....

There are ways around the katta problem, but you need staff to really deal with it (kick them), but it really can't be done in the mass glob of lightsabers, and spammed moves that flood any FFA.

Again, saber system needs reworking...raven better be working on a patch....

Pnut

Seriously, you should read the forum title, notice the specific request for you not to involve yourself?

Seriously, you shouldn't tell other people what to do. You are in no position of power anywhere, which is probably why you take your aggression out on people in forums.

Originally posted by dyehead

I also noticed that the blocking system is a bit off, I'll have my saber go through people, and it doesn't hit, again I have only noticed this with single saber.

I've noticed my saber go through a coulpe of times to. But I have also noticed it a bit with the saberstaff as well. It seems less pronounced because the blades are moving so much faster, especially when compared to red stance. With red you are likely to notice it much more.

Most likely this is do to lag, and code that must deal with lag. MP collision detection is bound to be less accurate than SP. That's just the nature of the beast, unfortunately. I don't think there is much Raven can do about it. However, in JO you could turn on SP collision detection with cvar. I assume this is possible with JA also...

The "wtf, that landed?" factor is ghoul2 related.

The two jk2/ja modders I have spoken to recently both seem 100% convinced on that based on their knowledge of the build from the previous game and the little change in the code in this one.

The special 25 force penalty is just plain silly.

I know it's there so "people don't spam moves" (this is the typical newbie argument in favor of this) but when you have weaker sabers to begin with and erratic hit detection, it's kind of overkill don't you think?

The only time I've found the Kata to be of any use is when I play on servers that have the regen time lowered to 0 and I am able to do them every other second due to the fast regen rate.

In a server with a default regen of 200 doing one is pure suicide unless you are playing a "how do I put colors in my name?" type of player.

Seriously, you shouldn't tell other people what to do. You are in no position of power anywhere, which is probably why you take your aggression out on people in forums.
I didn't tell you what to do. How do you know I'm not? And I take my aggression out on my dinner, thanks. Chop that meat up! WRAAAH! :D

Seriously, you should read the forum title, notice the specific request for you not to involve yourself?

/me flips through response cards

Ah, this'll do:

"Seriously, you shouldn't tell other people what to do. You are in no position of power anywhere, which is probably why you take your aggression out on people in forums."

Archived