Home

Solo Saber Nerfed Thread

dyehead

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dyehead

If you could control the direction of the kata during its motion, I'd be inclined to say that they're not 75% useless.

But you can control the direction yo go with the katas, at least with the single saber (I can't remember about the other ones, although I think you can). I'm talking about the direction the player is going, is this what you are refering to?

Originally posted by lllKyNeSlll

oh 1v1 they are almost useless. ffa its good. but i find the best ffa strategy is simply to get 2 sabers, rage, then run around backwards holding attack and hoping you get a backstab.

Sounds funny, but whatever works for you :D

You can move a little bit during the kata, but only during certain parts of it, and you can't aim your saber up or down, or even do a 180 really.. a lot of times the people you're trying to kata just jump over you or something.. being able to aim it through the entire kata would be better imo

yes single saber:

A) moves too slow compared to dual saber and two saber

B) single saber damage is too low...considering its a two hand on one saber (most damage possible)

C) red stance is now a joke fix it!!! (needs to be stronger, since its slow as hell, WTF!)

D) yellow DFA ...good god...u couldnt hit a broadside of a barn with it... fix it.

raven u idiots.

bah.

Well, i just got done playing a looong night. I've noticed that alot more people are using, or atleast trying the single sabers now. And the other thing i've noticed, is that the single saber kata's freaking own. There is no doubt trying to deny it, or to convince me otherwise. Those kata's simply own, except maybe in 1v1. But i think thats good, since its the single saber's only real strong point.

Originally posted by BS87

Well, i just got done playing a looong night. I've noticed that alot more people are using, or atleast trying the single sabers now. And the other thing i've noticed, is that the single saber kata's freaking own. There is no doubt trying to deny it, or to convince me otherwise. Those kata's simply own, except maybe in 1v1. But i think thats good, since its the single saber's only real strong point.

Plus you get three different katas for the price of one.

Originally posted by BS87

I'm having fairly decent success using the red single against a dual sabre. There's a huge window of opportunity when the dual sabre wielder is trying to attack. :D (mouse1+mouse2 = dead dual sabre wielder) :wan:

I think the slow roll was nerfed because people used too much the roll-pull or push. It sux though.

Same as the dfa. But i would have prefered it to be same as powerful as in 1.02 but with a force price.

Well the single katas and dfa (every move) can be stoped with a pull or push, and sometimes saber throw.

I managed to make the JA dfa usefull when doing it againts people in mid air or when trying to kick you while they are on the ground (just look completely down). But its useless against people standing or runing, and that makes sense.

Also saber atacks do a lot more damage with clean meat.

Actually you will never succeed to hurt another player if you hit them near their saber or sabers.

But duals or staff players can do so, cause they hit your saber away with one and with the other they clean hit you.

All this conclusions are from the demo. It may be a chance i am wrong in some ways.

Seems that you all use single sabers. It would be cool to just be a few single saber players.

About the yellow dfa.

There are two. One is doing it facing nowhere (with out that slash in mid air), and the other is facing the enemy (with that slash in mid air).

Actually the best way to hit with it is to stand on the left of your enemy (your right :p ), and hit him to the face when you raise the saber (not that slah when you are in mid air).

Ax, if it helps, in the full version, the roll seems just as good as it was in JK2 (JK2 MP vs. JA MP).

There are subtle differences between SP (which is all the demo has) and MP.

Like in MP there's no pull-stabs (not as a specific move animation), no flip kicks (that we know of), you can't attack or switch weapons while grabbing a wall. The swings for the single sabers look and feel different. It's harder to lose your saber (easy to lose one saber with the Dual Sabers though). There's no sound effect when you do a cartwheel or grapple somebody (known bugs), etc.

Dyehead:

In my experience, the JA roll has a greater pause between rolls than the JO roll, and travels slightly less distance. I think this is a good thing. I used roll and bunny almost exclusively in JO, and I found it a little silly. It was necessary to win, so I used them. But this way roll is more of a special-circumstances tool, which seems to fit better to me.

Premature patching is bad, ok sure... Maybe it's not as premature as you think it is?

How many HOURS does someone have to play before you'd say that they could make a serious and educated suggestion for a patch?

This is actually an exceptionally good question, Dyehead. I myself put in countless hours with every new game I like, every week. But until two or three months have passed I don't even consider MYSELF skilled, no matter HOW much I've won. I've been playing MP with JA for what is it, five, six days now? I've not lost a game. REGARDLESS, I don't consider myself skilled enough to make the judgements you're talking about. Does that answer your question?

I guarantee you, Weiner dog has probably played JA more than you. Maybe those with more experience MIGHT POSSIBLY KNOW BETTER?
You guarantee me, do you. You know NOTHING about how much I play, or how much time I have to play. Or how much I sleep. Please, sort your attitude out.

All that ASIDE, I have played games where I have started AFTER other people, and become a better player, who understands more about the game than those people who started before me. So I may understand more about JA than wiener. You cannot say. I cannot say. Wiener cannot say.

It's a week after release, Dye. It's too soon to be demanding a patch by ANYONE'S standards. Well, not anyone's. Obviously not yours.

Premature patching is bad, but who says that the first patch is going to be a repeat of 1.03? I accuse you again of not having any faith in Raven, by your comments.

I think they WILL patch, and that they'll do a good job with it. I think 1.04 worked well for JO, it was mostly balanced.

You can accuse me of wearing pink trousers if you like. Won't make it true. Except at weekends.

I have faith that Raven will try their best to make a good game. But on past experience, I have NO faith in people like yourself to show restraint when asking for a patch. EVERYTHING you think of goes into such a patch, whether its gameplay fixes, imagined or otherwise, or genuine bugfixes.

I have faith that Raven will listen to the community. Unfortunately.

Now is too soon to be declaring something as an insurmountable barrier to good gameplay. Once again:

Say no to premature patching! Now is too soon!

Kurgan:

I think that people are letting their imaginations run away with them and trying to shoe-horn JA into the set pattern they liked from JK2 (whatever version they happened to like).
This is a problem that afflicts many games, most often FPS games though. I mean, UT2K3 suffered from it to a certain extent. I'm not sure why the JK series gets so much of it though, it must be Star-Wars-fan related.

Plazma:

Why is it that Al seems to stop by on every thread that talks about problems in JA and tries to prove everyone wrong by picking apart their posts and correcting spelling errors and miscalculations?
Ugh, I haven't picked on people's grammatical errors. If you're going to fling accusations around at least make sure you're accusing someone of a halfway feasible crime.

(Yet another response to the flames of)

traj:

First of all, I don't care how I look. That would be you.
To be honest, I don't know what this is supposed to mean. Probably something flamey.

I tried to find some flames from you. Tough work.

All I could find were 1 "schmuck", a couple of "go boil your extremities", 1 "Trajic", and 25,000 posts where you insult people's intelligence (stupid, idiotic, foolish etc.) and then wink afterwards.

Yet again you lie and lie. I don't call people stupid. I may call what they SAY stupid, but that's not the same thing and it's hardly a flame. Everyone says stupid things occasionally. Some more than others.

And "schmuck" was a word I quoted from someone else's post. Doesn't count. "trajic" was a retort to a much worse insult. There you go.

Zero flames!

You on the other hand...

Yours are just more cleverly disguised and therefore more chicken****.
You swear a lot. It's not hugely helpful to your "case" to swear so much IMO.

Eh? You can't find any flames, so you reason that's because I've "disguised" them in some way? Reaching somewhat, aren't you...

By the frequency and length of your posts, you being stapled to your desk, I would assume that you spend more time researching other people's posts to play the game, hence my statement that weiner dog probably has played more than you.

To change the subject,

I've been playing SP a lot, and I've noticed that pull stab is about the most abuseable move in the game. Sofreakingeasy.

Is pull stab in MP? I haven't tried it, my work schedule has been really abusive this week, no time to really get into a good MP game.

If pull-stab works in MP, then that might help kill a flag carrier, but I have yet to see it work in MP..

Anyway, so far we have the majority of people saying that the single saber is not as powerful as the dual sabers or light staff.

People's main argument is that they are good with the single saber and they can still kill people, that's great so can I... but it doesn't change the facts of what I'm saying... 4 hits with heavy red kills, while 1 hit from a light staff or dual sabers kills... What happens when someone becomes as proficient with dual sabers/light staff as someone is with the single saber? It is my opinion that at that point, the light staff/dual sabers will prove to be out of balance, as skill in hitting will not be the issue, but damage/blocking will be.

Red DFA is incredibly finicky, the hit/damage range seems to be very minute.. rarely hits and does little damage when it does..

Yellow DFA is useless, it doesn't really hit..

Blue lunge is the same as JO.

Anyone disagree that this is what has been said and agreed on by most?

Originally posted by dyehead

Yellow DFA is useless, it doesn't really hit..

The Yellow Attack Flip (aka Yellow DFA) is incredibly easy to activate but the timing is completely different than it is in JO. Since I've been mostly playing 1.02 JO I must say that yellow DFA is closer to 1.02 than the other ones.

You CAN connect with it but it's a lot harder to control.

Originally posted by Spider AL

Plazma:

Ugh, I haven't picked on people's grammatical errors. If you're going to fling accusations around at least make sure you're accusing someone of a halfway feasible crime.

sar·casm ( P ) Pronunciation Key (särkzm)

n.

1 A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.

2 A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule

Spider Al, this thread is quite obviously ABOUT patching, that does not mean it is going to happen right away. It is best to start compiling oppinions so that when they're READY to start working on a patch, they know what exactly what they(raven) want to do.

I kill tons in MP with single saber, but it's really hard. I know that sounds odd, but for some reason it just seems hard. One of the main problems is that every time I slice through sometime, it's not a gauranteed hit because a lot of times it seems to not hit (some sort of bug or lag I guess). Maybe I'm just unlucky I don't know.

I also notice that the staff jump-butterfly-whatever move is highly abused, as certain parts of it seem to kill instantly no matter what. I hope that's a bug, but otherwise I think the staff is pretty balanced, aside from the problems with it's jump-spin-special-thing.

As for dual sabers, there is only one REAL big problem I see, and that is that they seem to hurt too much on the side and from behind. When people twirl with blue stance on single saber, they don't really damage behind them, but with dual sabers when they twirl they do equal damage to the front. This may make more sense, but it really hurts gameplay. Half the time in FFA's I see people twirling around and not caring which direction they're turned because they seem to do equal damage in all directions.

Overall, my oppinion is this:

Dual Sabers: Maybe tone down the twirl (crouch+attack) a little, take off backwards damage and nerf side damage but keep forward damage the same. Nerf their defense some too, it stands to reason that someone holding a sword with one hand won't be exerting more force than a person with two hands on the hilt. I like the fact that they can chain moves indefinately(I think), but I think the chain should be easily breakable by attacks.

Light-staff: Overall it's pretty good I think, but the jump-twirl-kicking move seems a little buggy, half the time people do it I die in 1 hit no matter how much life I have. Other than that I like it, maybe slow down the attacks a little, it is harder to maneuver a staff than a sword.

Single Saber: I like it, maybe up damage a LITTLE on red, a little bit more than red on yellow, and I haven't done much with blue. I like all the specials and katas for single, and damage seems well balanced too.

I don't like how hard it seems to block now, I don't want extreme blocking like JK2, but now against a lightstaff it seems like there is no blocking at all, atleast with single...

I have used the single saber only a few times in MP. however, I believe that I have a few suggestions for everyone. Try to whittle down the person with yellow, then switch to red, you know, like Rocky in Rocky 2, he went from righty to southpaw in the last round (I love 80's movies....). Also, if you REALLY want ot annoy a dual saberist who says that they are invincible, just use blue stance and speed 3. =) Speed makes it easier to avoid the baldes, and blue stance lets you attack really fast. It is very annoying to have someone attacking with blue, doing maybe 10 - 20 damage. it is like a fly just nipping at your neck, and you just can't swat it...

Anyway...red does need to be upped a bit. I have only played the JO demo, but I can tell a bit of difference in power as compared to JA. Anyway, I am having fun, so that is all that I really care about.

later

I haven't found it "hard" to get kills with any of the sabers, they all seem about equal.

That's the part I can't understand with people. Are we talking about duels with nerfed (saberdamagescale 1, sabertracesaberfirst 1) type stuff?

Cause when I hit people with sabers, they die in one or two hits, unless they keep grabbing shield boosts or have Protect on (and even then, that only saves them from one or two more hits).

Lag does play a big role, but everybody knows that.

Do NOT compare the JA demo or the JO demo to JA MP. They are VERY different in many respects. The demos are both SP only.

JA SP =/ JA MP

JO SP =/ JA MP

JO MP =/ JA MP

(that's "not equal" in case you're wondering)

I've been playing SP a lot, and I've noticed that pull stab is about the most abuseable move in the game. Sofreakingeasy.

Is pull stab in MP? I haven't tried it, my work schedule has been really abusive this week, no time to really get into a good MP game.

If pull-stab works in MP, then that might help kill a flag carrier, but I have yet to see it work in MP..

Pull stab is NOT in MP (if it is, it's hidden behind cvars we haven't discovered yet). If it were, I guarentee you right now there would be threads with people whining about how it's too powerful or needs to be removed from the game. ; p

Originally posted by Spider AL

traj:

To be honest, I don't know what this is supposed to mean.[should be pretty obvious to a super genius like yourself /roll] Probably something flamey.[good guess]

Yet again you lie and lie.[Thats a lie] I don't call people stupid. I may call what they SAY stupid,[same thing] but that's not the same thing and it's hardly a flame[its both]. Everyone says stupid things occasionally. Some more than others.[some even lie]

And "schmuck" was a word I quoted from someone else's post.[Actually you said it BACK to them] Doesn't count.[it does] "trajic" was a retort to a much worse insult.[False] There you go.[agreed]

Zero flames![in your eyes only]

You on the other hand...

You swear a lot.[true, it's my constitutional right] It's not hugely helpful to your "case" to swear so much IMO.[no one cares]

Eh? You can't find any flames,[i did] so you reason that's because I've "disguised" them in some way?[you did] Reaching somewhat, aren't you...[that would be you]

Cute speech. I should have know you were gonna use the "he started it" defense. I did know actually. By the way, you started the trajic thing. :p It's true. You started it. :p

And if you really think you don't insult people's intelligence every chance you get (which is the same as calling them stupid by the way) then you my friend are blind.

As you like to say, ignorance is bliss. You do nothing wrong, it's always everyone else.[/sarcasm] Anyways, I don't really want to talk to you anymore so please don't respond.

[Unnecessary insults removed by moderator. I hope this means you're "done" now?]

Have a good life AL. :D toodles xoxox

Archived