Home

OK - I hate Kyle Katarn ! Who Agrees !

Astrotoy7

In DF I he seemed kinda rugged, and sullen. In JKI we saw him in the flesh, dare I say it a bit dorky lookin and too fat for his tights. In JO we suffered through the whole game as him, now thank goodness, in JA we can be someone else ! For me Jaden is, and always will be a scantily clad grey female twilek ! Every time I try to play as someone/something else it's just not the same.......

I'm not a fan of Kyle's at all, especially his brown outfit. Can anyone explain what that thing that looks like a turtle shell on his right shoulder is ! (I know Dash Rendar wore something similar, but he was much much cooler than Kyle ever was)

MTFBWYA

No, Kyle's never been in any of the movies, although he was supposedly the one who stole first Death Star's plans which eventually ended up with leia. After seeing the plans in Episode 2 I wonder if any allusion to this will be made in Ep3.......

Kyle has also appeared in books of course, and perhaps in the comics(i'm not sure about that one)

MTFBWYA

I actually like Kyle, He makes me laugh in JA when he cuts up Stormies on Vjun and taunts them.

I see him being in a few more JK games then probarly being killed off like alot of SW Characthers, like Chewbacca *Bastages*.

But i think that they should go away from the ROTJ era with Luke & Co and go back to say the time of KOTOR or before that, maybe 10,000 years before the Empire and have a Jedi Knight game set then, that would give you oppurtunitys to open up new characthers, new weapons and new locations. :)

My favorite "Kyle" memory from JO:

We're on Vjun. Now Kyle has just finished warning me about "be careful of the darkside" etc etc. Now he goes and tries to use lightning on a trooper. He somehow misses (yes, with lvl 3 lightning!). I go over and use lightning on the guy, he dies, and Kyle starts laughing: "Hahahahahaha!" It was wquite funny, given the irony of his student using dark side powers and the "good" teacher just laughing.

Of couse, technically, it was just his taunt, but still...

Personally, I think Kyle looks good with a saber in hand. Without the saber his outfit just looks stupid. :p

I think he looks like a cowboy from the village in that stupid brown outfit. I don't know why he went 70's, but he should come back. What happened to the cool outfit he had on in the original DF?

A better question is "why do they have to be so cheap?" I mean... why can't they have real movie fmv's instead of ones made in the game engine?

Originally posted by Tesla

in JA when he cuts up Stormies on Vjun and taunts them.

Well I never really liked that bantha herder Katarn, and what you just sayed in this quote makes me dislike him even more. Kyle seemed a lot like Han Solo, which I never liked either. For some reason, I think Kyle and Han are racist against Rodians... Even though Kyle can train one in Jedi Academy...

ok... bear w/ the rambling... here we go:

kyle's one of your rough, rugged, not-pretty-boy sw characters. the "realistic" ones, in my opinion. Sure, his clothing's questionable, but the thing that always made him appealing to me was he was HUMAN. He made mistakes and he had rash judgements based on feeling. When I think of kyle i think of the movie scene in JK when he was on the platform and jerec was taunting him to kill jan (where you ultimately made the light or dark choice). He was looking back and forth, a face on the verge of tears, reflecting his soul being torn between the light and dark. This showed an emotional struggle, something deep. something HUMAN. not luke/leia/etc "oh, I'll always do the right thing for the good of the galaxy." It's a conflict of what's the "correct path" and inner demons. Chalk one up for lucasarts for creating such a wonderful character. Raven, in my opinion, kind of delved away from any emotional struggle pertaining to kyle w/ JO/JA. In a way, that bothered me. So did the clothes they put him in :) BUT, they still made two of the most entertaining and played games I've ever bought, and that's the important part. My final verdict? Kyle's very likeable and easy for a fan to identify w/, b/c he's human. Oh, and he always has the coolest ships :)

I agree, we wanted a jedi and they give us a shepherd lol

We wanted to be guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy but instead we're herding stormtroopers across the galaxy

We wanted to be fighting Sith lords like Darth Vader, Maul and Dooku instead we get the janitor crew from the last deathstar that they pored liquid shwartz over and swapped their broom for a shiny new lightsaber and said "here ya go, go shove this up a shepherd's arse"

But hey when all is said and done they did give us a lightsaber....mmmmmm light s a b e r! (drools) So I thank them for that and I say to them I don't mind being a shepherd, I don't mind having to kill janitors who dealed out a line of wacky force snorted it down and went raging on the town with a lightsaber. No I don't mind cause I have a big glowing stick in my hand that goes "vvshhooom wshhoom" when I move it about... I love the game, nuff said.

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

I know Dash Rendar wore something similar, but he was much much cooler than Kyle ever was)

Whatever. Dash Rendar was a Han Solo/Kyle rip-off for a lame story and game, and was given a lamer name.

But yeah, in Dark Forces, Kyle still had a more generic mercenary design to him... whereas in Jedi Knight, the character was really given a background and all that jazz... and you learn he came from relatively rural roots, as well.

Personally, I like Kyle's character alot, since there is alot of backstory with him, he's one of the most realized EU characters.

Maybe not like Mara Jade, but really, any wonder why Mara Jade is such a popular character? Star Wars fans + hot comic book and other media chick = love. :D

I like Kyle mostly because he's not the typical clean-cut weenie that all the Jedi are. Don't get me wrong here, I dig the light side, but why can't there be more Jedis that KATN? I mean, the creative basis for the Jedi is Toshiro Mifune, why not make more characters with his on-screen qualities? (That's sort of a rhetorical question to a certain director, we'll call him Goerge L.)

I won't go so far as to say that Kyle is more real than the other characters, he's just a bit more interesting. That line in the beginning of JA "You always feel a disturbance in the force." I can't tell you how often I've thought that.

I've always liked Kyle.

I know that he's pretty much super-powered (he's a game character after all) with any excuse to make him tough, but the character has grown on me.

I agree, his JK2 outfit was kinda goofy (outside of a desert setting of course).

He is from a farming family, but c'mon... when he's teaching at the Academy or pulling Mercenary duty for the New Republic he's better off in Wes Janson's "stealth gear." ; )

The Twi'Lek's wearing "dancing girl" outfits all the time is another brain bug. There's no logical reason for them to do that unless they're all still working as dancing girls. Ah well...

Kyle's just as human as anyone of us. Luke somehow looks like a Droid to me in JO and JA.

This is a typical quote that shows how different both are:

Luke: I sense a disturbence in the force.

Kyle: You always sense a disturbence in the force.... (sarcastic)

Also i like the aspect that you can be more on the good side and still use some of the dark powers. In case of Kyle this just shows that he "knows" himself well enough to use these powers without turning. BUT HELL, what are we talking about? Psychic conditions of virtual game characters?! Oh boy, we are not on the dark side, but we have fallen into a dark pit ;) *lol*

All i can say is "Use the force, no matter which, no ne of them are bad or good. The forcewielder decides to act good or bad (whatever that means in your concept of reality)." This is also one of the quotes you will hear from Kyle in the game, though certainly not phrased like mine.

Kyle, as a character, is great, IMHO. I would also like to congratulate Lucasarts on how they managed to integrate this new character into the events hinted at in the movies, and in developing such a great back-story for what is essentially a 'game' character. That back-story was developed even further in the 3 illustrated novels (more like novellas), that glossed over his in-game exploits.

I too agree that he should have ditched his outfit. He should have had a cool new outfit in every new game, as far as I'm concerned - and should definitely have worn something more appropriate to his 'jedi master' status in the Academy. I don't mean robes...but something to reflect his roguish nature.

Anyway, I like the way they've developed Kyle throughout this series of games - and I think it was definitely the right time for him to take a step into the background, with his status assured. For me, Kyle's story is pretty much complete, and he should remain in the background for any further games in this series.

I remember going through the Yavin Training missions in JA, and hearing Kyle instruct me on the 'paths of the force'. He mentioned that the dark side and lightside aren't essentially good or evil, but only what you did with the powers truly counted. I thought to myself- 'Vergere...Traitor...mwhahah' and then went away smiling as i finished blowing up remotes :)

The beard and the brown outfit just don't do it for me I'm afraid, but his personality is ok. I am also of the opinion that his time is up and we should see some fresh new characters in the next JK game. I would like the next instalment to follow the path of Jaden with no Kyle in sight.

I was waiting for that Tom, and I have to agree. Heck, me and you invested a lot of RP time into that same concept. I'm glad they have a character like kyle to rationlize this "Light Force Good!" crap. It's how you use it that counts, thats why I like kyle. He's one of the few Jedi who don't run away from the dark side, he uses it in moderation, and with purpose.

Pnut

Who would've guessed that there were so many katarnophiles out there. I shouldn't be so suprised though, seeing that this is a gamers forum more than an EU forum, we've seen so much of the guy we either like him or don't !

As for Dash Rendar, I think the thing that makes him stand out in my mind was his ship, and that great pic of him by the hildebrandts...also dont forget he was the first sw game character we rode a swoop with, long before Jaden ever did....

(kyle has a great ship of course - which we all saw in The Phantom Menace oh so briefly)

One of my little hobbies at the moment is compiling FMVs and cinematic cutscenes from the great SW games of the last decade onto a DVD. This of course would include the great JKI and Rebel Assault II FMVs. They are an interesting part of SW Gaming history....

Yeah, like other posters have stated, I hope kyle sits in the background for subsequent games. I would love to have a game with the new generation of jedi knights..... jaina and jacen(if he can decide to fight :p), kyp durron, aleema rar etc. Although with Ep 3 coming out I think more games featuring the prequel era jedi are more likely...

The way JA SP ended(whichever way I should say), it begs for a sequel or follow up of some sort...

As for Kyle's outfits, he did look cool as dark kyle in the alternate ending of JKI

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by r0bman5

not luke/leia/etc "oh, I'll always do the right thing for the good of the galaxy."

What are you talking about? Did you understand EP 5 and 6 at all? Luke made no errors? What was that about leaving his training with Yoda was that not a mistake (costing him his right hand in the process)? And EP6 when Luke struck down Vader he was very near to becoming a dark Jedi as well! He barely got control over himself staying at the light side so no struggles right?

Archived