Home

JKA widescreen (and a crash bug in Multi Player)

EekTheKat

This is my attempt to get a problem with widescreen and JKA fixed.

Most of the info in this post is available on line (and has been available on line for years now) given that JKA uses the same variables to control a widescreen output as Quake 3A

Posting here because this info might be useful for some players on widescreen computers who want to play JKA in a non-stretched out resolution in its full glory (this works fine in single player mode):

On a personal note : JKA is AWESOME looking in a widescreen with a proper FOV.

The Problem : JKA will crash under multi-player when started with a custom resolution r_mode -1 (in this case a widescreen resolution for widescreen gamers)

This crash bug isn't isolated to notebooks :

I just reproduced it on a desktop (GeForce FX 5900 Ultra + 45.23 WHQL drivers):

to repeat - this will cause JKA to crash every time on Multi Player - but it works great in single player

Set a custom resolution in the command line that's supported by the drivers (in this case for the desktop it was 1280x720)

r_customheight 720

r_customwidth 1280

setting r_mode -1 in the cfg file will let you start up JKA multiplayer in widescreen 1280x720 mode.

Now start a game, and watch JKA crash in the middle of loading a match. It'll page fault or something and you'll be given the option to view the debugging info in Windows XP.

The curious thing is if you start the game with 1280x1024

r_mode 8

and *then* change your in-game resolution to 1280x720

r_mode -1 at the console while in game.

you will not crash, and still be able to play the game in widescreen mode.

I'll have to reiterate again - widescreen works perfectly in single player. and it does sort of work in multiplayer as well.

Note the crash occurs on a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra and a GeForce FX 5650 Go notebook. Given that it's isolated to the MP portion of JKA I'm guessing it's a bug in the game rather than the drivers.

• 3 years later...

So here we are in 2007 and I am trying to play Jedi Academy in widescreen on my new 32" LCD TV. I get the same crash to desktop error when trying to run at 1360 x 768.

And the odd thing is, if I load a level at, say 1024x768, and then switch the resolution to 1360 x 768, it runs fine. But if I try to load it from the desktop at 1360 x 768, it crashes. HOW ODD.

If any of you has figured out how to run in widescreen without the need to first run at 1024x768 please let me know!

Thanks much and Happy New Year!

Yes, scripting the resolution and fov change and video restart to a keybind was the first thing I did. Even so, the game crashes after every map change, and I have to restart the game in 1024x768, 800x600 or some other 'standard' resolution, and then re-execute the script. The inconvenience of it all!

It really looks great with full screen antialiasing in a widescreen format :

jka_widescreen_shot.jpg

I suppose I should be grateful it even runs at widescreen resolutions at all. Although I've seen posters at widescreengamingforums.com have Jedi Academy working in widescreen without crashes.

By the way, Mysteries of the Sith, published nine years ago in 1998, natively supports the widescreen resolution of 1360 x 768 with no crashes.

dumbledore, the entire map load progress is completed and then JKA crashes to desktop. The error appears to be associated with this error, although my driver and display do support the widescreen resolution I am playing in.

rozo100, I also noticed the apparent misalignment of the chiss saber hilt and the saber blur in the screenshot only. I suspect its an artifact of the screenshot. I never noticed any misalignment during actual gameplay in widescreen. I've only made a few additional widescreen screenshots, and in those, the sabers are aligned properly with the hilts.

BTW, same experience in Jedi Outcast multiplayer at 1360 x 768. Crash to desktop immediately after completion of level load, if starting in 1360 x 768. But if I load the level at 1024x768 and then run the sequence of r_mode, r_customheight 768, r_customwidth 1360, and vid_restart, it loads fine, and then crashes when a new level loads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived