Home

Here we go again!!!

StaffMaster

well this was meant toward the participators of previous threads where this was talked about.

Basically its about nitwits startin to turn a growing number of the FFA servers out there into cyber hangouts where they satnd around and do nothing or have some lame convo.

then get mmad when you tell them that that there is no such thing as laming in a FFA.

wHew out of breath:D

StaffMaster...I recommend you get a grip, and calm down. Yes, it's annoying, bur frankly there's not much we can do about it. Anyway, let's not make yet another thread that turns into a bashing-fest full of flames. I guarantee, every time someone starts one of these threads, it eventually resorts to flames because people with different points of view can't agree to disagree.

sorry for the double but this whole phenomena begs a question:

in my experience this is the only online game where on sees this type of behavior.

why is that?

is it the personality type it attracts?

im not trying to be funny Im actually curious.

I know any answer would jus be another persons opinion but welcome none the less.

Well, you see, sometimes I am in a mood where I just want to relax and talk, not fight. So I /amsit or /ammeditate and watch the other people fight. It is funny, and a guy with a slashing spree on us is not a problem, since the whole ''relaxing crew'' grips and throws him down.

I don't feel like fighting non-stop... Especially in JA, where it is all about swining a saber until somebody dies.

but if u just want to hang out and chat, then why not go down the pub with some friends (or something to that effect if u not a pub go'er) or go into a chat room. not go into a game and then not play.

seem strange that the JK games suffer from this, most people would get kicked for doing nothing in other games

and as said before, Spectator Mode was made for that kind of thing

You all of course realize that this had begun in Jedi Knight 1. When a person had his saber turned off, he was not to be attacked, even in a FFA gametype. It is considered rude, and will get you the title "lamer", and most likely will eventually get you kicked or banned.

There may be many reasons for this. As stated above, perhaps one is just sitting and chatting. They may also be AFK. Too, they may be setting up binds or controls. But most of the time I see this, they are training. There are other reasons too, I am sure.

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy are unique games in many ways, so the FFA expectations are different. There is a lot more involved that just aim and shoot. This isn't quake 3 after all. There are many subtle strategies that can be involved, with sabers and force powers. It takes time to learn, and also, it takes time to test. Killing people while they are training or experimenting is quite disruptive. It is better to find someone ready to fight and kill them. Honestly, do you feel the same thrill when you kill someone that may or may not even be at their keyboard? I personally would much rather fight someone who is aware and ready, then it is actually fun.

So I recommend you not get upset about it, and just follow the server rules. If saber down=no attack, then you should leave those people alone. If everyone has their saber off, and is just sitting around, then go to another server.

For many of us, these games allow us to pretend we are Jedi. Jedi and even Sith act with honor. They do not attack defenseless opponents. They bow before starting a duel. They say 'good fight' whether they win or lose, and whether it actually was a good fight or not. If you want to kill people while they are chatting or training, go play quake or medal of honor or something. Or find a server that has no rules.

Even after I said all that, I have seen and enjoyed demo recordings of people laming. Some of them are very funny, as the lamer would kill someone, and then say "sorry" or "accident" or something like that. Very amusing, but not very nice.

Originally posted by StaffMaster

sorry for the double but this whole phenomena begs a question:

in my experience this is the only online game where on sees this type of behavior.

why is that?

is it the personality type it attracts?

im not trying to be funny Im actually curious.

I know any answer would jus be another persons opinion but welcome none the less.

I think many people see this behavior but it bothers you more than it bothers others is how I see it.

Raven did put in the code for players on servers to challenge for a duel so I don't think that they went out of their way to discourage this behaviour. I am sorry it bothers you a lot but I happen to like it. Just my 0.02 USD

Well i u want to go AFK, then hit Esc, bring down the console or hit the chat key so it puts the chat box above your head.

Hehe, that won't stop most of the lamers. Remember...in quake 3, the 'chat box' says: "FREE KILL". Lol...

I just try to remember that its just a game, and that I'm most likely dealing with children. So then I turn on my saber and fight. Its enjoyable to win against people half my age, makes me feel younger....

Originally posted by Inskipp

You all of course realize that this had begun in Jedi Knight 1. When a person had his saber turned off, he was not to be attacked, even in a FFA gametype. It is considered rude, and will get you the title "lamer", and most likely will eventually get you kicked or banned.

There may be many reasons for this. As stated above, perhaps one is just sitting and chatting. They may also be AFK. Too, they may be setting up binds or controls. But most of the time I see this, they are training. There are other reasons too, I am sure.

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy are unique games in many ways, so the FFA expectations are different. There is a lot more involved that just aim and shoot. This isn't quake 3 after all. There are many subtle strategies that can be involved, with sabers and force powers. It takes time to learn, and also, it takes time to test. Killing people while they are training or experimenting is quite disruptive. It is better to find someone ready to fight and kill them. Honestly, do you feel the same thrill when you kill someone that may or may not even be at their keyboard? I personally would much rather fight someone who is aware and ready, then it is actually fun.

So I recommend you not get upset about it, and just follow the server rules. If saber down=no attack, then you should leave those people alone. If everyone has their saber off, and is just sitting around, then go to another server.

For many of us, these games allow us to pretend we are Jedi. Jedi and even Sith act with honor. They do not attack defenseless opponents. They bow before starting a duel. They say 'good fight' whether they win or lose, and whether it actually was a good fight or not. If you want to kill people while they are chatting or training, go play quake or medal of honor or something. Or find a server that has no rules.

Even after I said all that, I have seen and enjoyed demo recordings of people laming. Some of them are very funny, as the lamer would kill someone, and then say "sorry" or "accident" or something like that. Very amusing, but not very nice.

Dont get it twisted I hardly get upset about a game.

Look at it like this:

we have the issue with leaked versions and "invaid game folder" popping up.

we have a fraction of tthe server list for the same reasons stated above showing up.

we have private servers taking up the list

and on top of that we have chat room servers.

IM really trying to be patient but see iit ging the way of JO where I got disgusted with online play for the same reason.

and no Sith do not act with honor.

(throne room scene in ROTJ )

bowing,no saber kill,etc are all mp game inventions that never had a place in any SW games before the internet or in any movies or EU.

Another thread flaming the roleplayers in JA -_- this people bought JA for having fun not get flamed to hell by people who don't like roleplayers in it...if you see a roleplayer in a server(mostly meditating and using commas in every msg he/she says) and you don't like them simply leave the server and search for another one it's that easy oh and about the chatroom servers...that's kinda dumb >.> there are stuff like AIM,MSN,YM,ICQ,IRC,etc....

I only go to FFA servers to lame and piss people off.

average players on pubs are not good enough to kill me either.

:)

I think until Hex is done with =X= mod v.2 (waiting on the SDK I think) all of us competitive players should just raid pubs non stop and slaughter the "honor" folk (not much else to do in this game atm).

:)

Archived