Home

I figured out why everyone hates EMI

Mr.Lukie

I was just sitting down when this thought hit me, the reason why everyone hates EMI (not everyone, but most): The characters! What I mean is that the first 3 MI have wonderful, memerable characters, while EMI just has a buch of shop owners perminantly behind counters, a really bad australian steriotype, and a bunch of annoying tourists.

The first three had great characters, like Murrey, Wally, The Fettuchini Brothers, Largo, Haggis, Bill, Van helgan and countless other memerable characters, but EMI didn't really have any memerable ones like that.

In my opinion, the only mererable characters in EMI were those taken from the previous games, i.e Murrey, Otis, Carla, Meathook, Herman. Although some of the characters are memerable for all the wrong reasons, like Ozzie, who I remember being a terrible stereotype (I'm Australian by the way, and we only talk like that when we're drunk) and for never being funny: I mean LeChuck is funny, Largo was funny, so who was the bright person who said that Ozzie wasn't going to be funny?

I could go on for much longer, but i'll save some for everyone else.

Actually, I always thought Ozzie was funny...but then, I'm an English lit. geek, so I was seeing all the parallels to "Ozymandias" and giggling like mad. So maybe it's just me...? And you've got to admit, there is something amusing about a guy who gets mad if you spray his dead platypus with Eau de Pirate.

But you do have a point, really. The characters flopped. We're not going to talk about my impression of Elaine from EMI (and it was also my first impression of her, unfortunately...).

Except that I liked Mr. Cheese, too.

Yeah, sure... I agree with you about he characters but they should never had swiched to 3-D graphics, THAT was a fatal misstake....., WHY OH WHY did they do that? If they make another game..., it should be with "cellshading" like Zelda, well... not really like zelda, only the same tec.

3-D graphics does not belong in any MI game...., period....

Originally posted by CaptainDread

I liked the 3D graphics. The real disappointment was the lack of plot connection to the original 3 Monkey Island games.

Actually, I found EMI to have more connections/references to the rest of the series more than any other Monkey Island. The problem is the way these were handled.

Originally posted by Swedishman

...If they make another game..., it should be with "cellshading" like Zelda, well... not really like zelda, only the same tec.

Am I the only one who sincerely hates cel shading with passion?

Actually I like 3D very much, but I wish LEC'd spend some time TEXTURING THE GODDAMNED MODELS.

hey..., cell shading aint bad. I think that MI is best when its cartooned...., like CMI...., if a game could have just as good plot, just as funny jokes like MI 1 and 2...., and the same graphics like CMI (or cellshading) it would be PERFECT!!!!!!! You cant get the same atmosphere in a 3D-game, as u can in a game that looks like cartoon.

But IF LEC will go for the 3D look..., they REALLY should LEARN how to make detailed models...... just look at the bank manager in EMI... he looks terrible.....

Originally posted by RemiO

They know how to make detailed models, just look at RTX. The problem with the models in EMI was that LEC was aiming at making the game compatible with fairly low-spec PCs.

Pfft! As if they needed to do that!

No t necessarily graphics, but the atmosphere they create... EMI was bright, not very imaginative and not-emotional (lol). When I was on Melee and Knuttin Atoll, the attempts to make it seem like it was nighttime were shoddy imo... Melee in SMI had bright stars against a cold blue background, but in EMI there was like this big soft, smooth landscape with no depth or character... I dunno, maybe I'm being overcritical lol.

I´m sure they know how to to good models...., but If they make a game that can be played on a low-end computer, then they should have an option to increase the detail..., like any other game....., a simple option to increase the graphics..., is that HARD or anything??? Dont think so.........

But then again...., if u have cartooned graphics...., u would not have that problem now would you? And I´m NOT rating the game by its graphics..., I´m rating it by its atmothphere, and the graphics has a lot to do with that........

Originally posted by Jayel

Am I the only one who sincerely hates cel shading with passion?

Actually I like 3D very much, but I wish LEC'd spend some time TEXTURING THE GODDAMNED MODELS.

Agreed. I think especially in terms of Monkey Island, LucasArts would be headed extremely in the right direction if they took a more Psychonauts/Pixar approach to texturing and shading their models... they still look plenty cartooney, but they're not simply shaded with the occasional darker line to denote a closed jacket or pants pocket... such crap.

actually, mr. lukie...that's actually a very good reason and i agree with you in the fact that that is exactly one of the reasons why i don't like emi, because the characters were absolutely horrendous...except for a few...like the figurehead and brittany...but other than that you're totally right.

plus, like people have mentioned, the graphics were a little shabby, the plotline had no real connection to the other games, except for the somewhat pathetic attempt at one when herman explains about getting bumped into a whirlpool and all that stuff.

and other things, too.

and about that whirlpool thing- i think that for people to be confused like that, they must be somewhat overanalytical about everything to actually focus on what he said and remember in mi1 a quote and then try to make a connection and have a full-fledged discussion about it...or maybe you're just very perceptive, i don't know.

plus, like people have mentioned, the graphics were a little shabby, the plotline had no real connection to the other games, except for the somewhat pathetic attempt at one when herman explains about getting bumped into a whirlpool and all that stuff.

Yeah, I thought the way they made Herman explain away plotholes was faulty, mainly because it created more plotholes.

I mean, the way Herman explains it, he was sent down a whirlpool by ozzie in a boat race. But in CMI when you're asking Lechuck about what happened to all the crew, he says he sent H.T Marly down a whirlpool, who is supposedly Herman according to EMI. Is it possible that Herman was sent down two completely different whirlpools? Or maybe Herman was part of a cloning program? Or is it possible that the plothole became so big it resembled a whirlpool? And the whole Herman being H.T Marley thing. According to Herman, he made his name from the initials on an accordian. But in SMI, the diary is clearly marked "Herman Toothrot". Wait! It could have been an alternative version of H.T Marly from a parrallel universe sent to destroy us all! And if Herman was sucked through a whirlpool (one or the other), and that's how he got to monkey island, then how could he have bought a ship from Stan and set sail with that other guy to find "The Secret of Monkey Island tm"? How can this be the same person!! HOW CAN THEY EXPECT US TO SWALLOW THIS CRAP!!! AIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!.........................(Slightly obssesive Mr.Lukie gives himself a sedative)....... well, I might have got a bit carried away, but you get my drift.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the main problem EFMI had was that it didnt have the atmosphere the other 3 games had. the game didnt feel like monkey island to me at all, it didnt have that dark groomy feel, for example, i loved blood island because it was mysterious, dark, at night time and every character in the island had tons of stuff to tell you, or all the references to dead relatives, cementery quests, just like the other 2 games there was tons of things you could do around the island if you got stuck at one particular puzzle, i mean, if you put the game and compare it to the other 3, take out the familiar names, youll see theres nothing remotly similar to them, hell, EFMI couldnt do justice to the render on top of this page, all i can do is hope and wait for MI5 turns out good and nothing like the fourth.

Originally posted by Bushmeister

I don't think you can say any one thing made MI4 crap, it was a culmination of large and small inadequecies. But we must review the fact that most of the game took placing during the day, while the best bits and most of the other games took place during night. Maybe.

EDIT: Sorry, didnt see this one the first time thru. Anyway thats my biggest gripe with EFMI, the game was too damn bright, i mean, there was nothing piratey in the game, starbucks?? plz, what the hell happened to the scumm bar and all the grog drunk smelly pirates? or the obscure and skeleton filled dungeon from MI 2? did EFMI had anything similar to the flying welschman? did any part of EFMI make u skip a heart beat like when u saw Lemon Head after all that time? also the game tried to be too damn funny all the time

The most annoying thing about MI4 for me... well, two of the most annoying things... were the graphics and the humour. I mean, let's see...

THE GRAPHICS.

Not that I would have minded if they weren't top notch. Graphics don't matter too much too me. For a start, they were eye-poppingly bright. WAYYY too colourful. But most annoying was the POTENTIAL they had! Did anybody else see that potential!??? Look at the way Elaine moves in the intro! Look at the designs! Look at Guybrushs' face! It had so much wasted potential!!! Instead of making it that tiny bit better and turning it into real Pixar quality stuff... I don't know WHAT they did. And what the hell was that crap with the ship sinking in the beginning?! A five year old could have animated that! Guybrush had a lovely design and a really sweet face, but they didn't have enough movement or definition. Elaine had a lovely design overall, but her hair was completely retarded. Loads of straight lines. Pegnose Pete was just like one big corrupted mesh made by a ten year old in Bryce 3D... and YES, that IS a landscape creator. Look at the end sequence, with that beautiful music, and the potential for a gorgeous cut scene... WASTED because they used an empty plane to render everything over. Screwed up, I tell you!

Second, the humour. They thought they were so so funny, so a lot of the time the humour was just idiotic. In a non funny way.

But I did enjoy it. The graphics just really frustrated me. That end sequence in particular. If only they had have added more detail, it would have been absolutely fantastic. In fact, I think I'll go watch it again.

Archived