Home

I figured out why everyone hates EMI

Mr.Lukie

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by CaptainDread

I. The real disappointment was the lack of plot connection to the original 3 Monkey Island games.

You can't say its bad because of plot connections.

Look at the other games.

M2-Who ever heard of Big Whoop?Apart from everyone if you get my meaning...

M3- A big cursed diamond ring?

But I understand. These games handled it with taste.

Don't ask for an example.

It also lost the dark element. There needs to be a whole lot more voodoo. I mean, I can't imagine wimpy guybrush from Escape going to hell and walking around with a severed head that was guiding him.

He was so hardcore in Lechuck's Revenge, why didn't they just leave him. I know it's part of the plot for him to get all wimpy, but I think we'd have been better off with a real pirate that was a bit of an underdog, but still cool.

Eh, I agree that the series should go darker again, but maybe strike a balance (character-wise) in between the Guybrush of CMI (who I saw as a wonderfully dynamic character all around who was sorely missed in EMI) and the Guybrush of MI2. To be honest, I never want to see MI2!Guybrush ever again. He was a ruthless, world-weary pirate interested in only preserving his own life...no matter the cost or how many people he hurt along the way. That's not a Guybrush I want to see again.

Yeah, primal tongue my toe. Insults need to be understood to be a least a little fun....and it's a game. It should be fun and engaging.

As to the graphics, Guybrush kind of lost his charm when he rounded out, so to speak. Pair that with the lack of eye movement, dumbness without being really funny, and the annoying interface (or lack thereof) and you have a game that is not quite so good as its predecessors.

I did, however, like the Elaine of EMI.

Originally posted by TyraaRane

Eh, I agree that the series should go darker again, but maybe strike a balance (character-wise) in between the Guybrush of CMI (who I saw as a wonderfully dynamic character all around who was sorely missed in EMI) and the Guybrush of MI2. To be honest, I never want to see MI2!Guybrush ever again. He was a ruthless, world-weary pirate interested in only preserving his own life...no matter the cost or how many people he hurt along the way. That's not a Guybrush I want to see again.

I loved the Guybrush of MI2! Probably because I'm just one sick f, but I found his cruelty hilarious. I'd love it if they brought him back, but, to be totally honest, I really didn't like the last two very much. The third was okay, but it doesn't even come close to MI1 or 2. Don't even get me started on the fourth. Seriously.

I think that the thing that made the first two and to an extend the third monkey amazing was the fact that you actually did things piraty in pirate surroundings and with pirate characters, for example there were dark streets, colourful tree houses, gloomy woods. Can someone tell me what does a shop called planet threepwood do for piratey atmosphere. I dont mean to be a spoil sport but i cant help feeling somehow dissapointed that adventure and atmosphere was replaced with jokes and humour.

Originally posted by out_and_spaced

I think that the thing that made the first two and to an extend the third monkey amazing was the fact that you actually did things piraty in pirate surroundings and with pirate characters, for example there were dark streets, colourful tree houses, gloomy woods. Can someone tell me what does a shop called planet threepwood do for piratey atmosphere. I dont mean to be a spoil sport but i cant help feeling somehow dissapointed that adventure and atmosphere was replaced with jokes and humour.

You, my friend, have hit the nail on the head.

Originally posted by out_and_spaced

Can someone tell me what does a shop called planet threepwood do for piratey atmosphere.

It doesn't, and that's the point. It's not supposed to be atmosphere. It's complete and utter satire (in this case) of the Planet Hollywood chain of restaurants. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the entire last half of the game was meant to be satire. 'S why I love it.

Wonderful Man. You've got it. Except...

but i cant help feeling somehow dissapointed that adventure and atmosphere was replaced with jokes and humour

Jokes? Humor? Where?

Wow im back ! :D havent been here for ages, half of u people prolly dont even know me lol,

but back on topic i do think the characters from the first 2 are so much better EMI as it seems to just poorly recycle the characters for cheap laughs from die hard fans but it just fails, its like Ace Ventura 2 When nature calls when they just string together a bunch of his sayings from the first one and hope that his acting carries the rest of it. This especially happens with Murray who was dissapointingly useless in EMI

Everything else i agree with, except for the graphics which i didnt mind at all, ok so they didnt match up to Grim Fandango standards but they were passable. A change to cel shading in the next one would be a mistake though, unless it was 2D

I think Monkey 2 might be my favorite. I mean, Monkey 1 is awesome, no doubt about it, but... if I were stuck on a desert island with nothing but a computer, a video game, lots of rum, and Johnny Depp to keep me company, I would have to go with Monkey 2 for my video game. I mean Mr. Stinkie of the post before me 's icon just says it all. I look at it and know... if I were stuck on a desert island with nothing but a computer, a video game, lots of rum, Johnny Depp, some palm trees, organic bananas, a couple monkeys, a little hut, and a telescope.... Monkey 2 baby, all the way.

Archived