Home

Tutorial: Replacing Jaden with custom model

Prime

Originally posted by InsaneSith

ok I'm having an issue with my model not using the surf file, I'm using my custom skin for the ep1 obi model from JO. I want it to not have the ponytail, braid, and robe. How do I go about getting it to use the surf file?

You don't need the .surf file at all. You can turn off everything in the .skin file. For whatever entries you want to turn off (which can be determined by the .surf file), just replace the specified path with *off. For example, if the entry was "braid", you would have:

braid,*off

That should turn everything off correctly. This should work for both MP and SP.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kidso

I end up geting a file path that is too long, it ends up being "Star Wars Jedi Knight/mods/exta_data/npc blah blah instead of just exta_data/npcs what do i do?

Also i have windows 98 so it doesnt say recursive folders is has two options one is include sub folders and the other is save path info.

In order to just get the ext_data/npcs path using WinZip, do the following:

1. It is a bit different from mine, but you should probably select Sub Folders. Make sure Save Extra Folder Info is not selected.

2. Make sure that compression is set to NONE.

3. Select the folder you want to add. If you are adding multiple folders in a directory (such as models, ext_data, etc.), still just select one.

4. Click Add With Wildcards. This adds everything in the directory you are currently in, both the one you selected and all the others at the same level.

THis should give you the proper path information. To change the .zip to a .pk3, simply manually change the extention.

Thanks man, that has cleared that up but now my new npc's dont seem to have taken effect in the game, can you tell me the reasons this might be so I can fix it? Does it have to do with the name? The new PK3 file doesnt replace the old settings for my npc's. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Kidso

Thanks man, that has cleared that up but now my new npc's dont seem to have taken effect in the game, can you tell me the reasons this might be so I can fix it? Does it have to do with the name? The new PK3 file doesnt replace the old settings for my npc's. Thanks again.

JA loads all the .pk3s in alphabetical order. So make sure that the names of your .pk3 files come after the assets pk3s.

Originally posted by Prime

You don't need the .surf file at all. You can turn off everything in the .skin file. For whatever entries you want to turn off (which can be determined by the .surf file), just replace the specified path with *off. For example, if the entry was "braid", you would have:

braid,*off

That should turn everything off correctly. This should work for both MP and SP.

oh yeah, >_<~ now i feel stupid for having forgotten that. anyways thank you sir.

Has anyone found out how to add a model to the player selection screen? I have a custom model I want to use, and I want to have it under a new heading (not Human Male, etc.) I'm not concerned about selectable clothes or colours, I just want to be able to use the model and default skin. I know about the playerchoice.txt file, but that didn't seem to do anything. Is there I menu or something I need to edit to add the new model heading?

Also, has anyone figured out how to add new saber hilts to SP without replacing the old ones?

How would one go about extracting a head from a .pk3 (Padme, for instance) and change it to where the head will appear in the character creation selection at the beginning of a new game??

I don't care about the rest of the body. Just the HEAD!!!

Thanks.

Originally posted by JediLurker

Hey, Prime. Check out http://www.pcgamemods.com. There are a couple of new mods there that I think add new 'races' so to speak. You might be able to figure out how to do it by taking a look at the files. The most recent one is "stormtrooper race".

As for your saber hilt question, check this thread:

Single Player Hilt Mods

Hope that helps. :)

Hey thanks JediLurker! I'll have a look at these, but it seems to be just what I want :)

and as far as creating new selectable heads/torso/legs......i simply opened the model_default.skin file i wanted to use, then copied all the reference to constructing the torso into a torso.skin file......same for head and legs.....then make your corresponding icons.....you'll need all other files, such as sounds etc, from the choosable folders.....altered to fit your character or not.....the rest i pretty much covered in the link to the thread above........any other questions just ask.....and if anyone can answer my icons questions please help!!!!!

Originally posted by Prime

As Londo Mollari has discovered, if you make the title of your NPC entry in the .npc file Player, this should make it show up in cutscenes. But it still seems to revert back to the old model each time a level loads.

GYAAHH! still having problems with this part. I've tried every combination of Player and it still doesn't work, =\ So, do you name the NPC file itself "Player", or the NPC's name, or the playermodel? ahhH! help!

peace

Alrighty, so in my Mod folder, I have the ext_data folder, which contains the npcs folder, which contains the Player.npc file. And in this text file, my npc is mara jade in this case, it looks like this:

Player

{

playermodel mara_ponytail

.......etc etc

}

And to get it in the game, I bring down the console, and type "playermodel Player". So uhh, yeah, Is this about right? =)

payce

ps. if this is right, what would I do if I wanted to have multiple npc's to select from in the game?

Originally posted by numark79

Alrighty, so in my Mod folder, I have the ext_data folder, which contains the npcs folder, which contains the Player.npc file. And in this text file, my npc is mara jade in this case, it looks like this:

Player

{

.......etc etc

}

And to get it in the game, I bring down the console, and type "playermodel Player". So uhh, yeah, Is this about right? =)

payce

ps. if this is right, what would I do if I wanted to have multiple npc's to select from in the game?

First off, IIRC the Mara Jade model has a bunch of different looks. Is this the same with the model you are using? I just want to confirm that mara_ponytail is in fact the directory the model is in. If so, great.

What I would do for my player character is have two different entries in my marajade.npc file. One is for the Mara Jade and one is for Player. Personally, I haven't tried just using a Player entry. So what I would do is this:

MaraJade

{

.......etc etc

}

Player

{

.......etc etc

}

This way, the game knows to use the Mara Jade for the cutscenes (from the Player entry), and you can also select the NPC as your character by using the playermodel MaraJade command. This allows you to use that model for both the cutscenes and the game.

of course you wouldn't have these problems, when creating a new SP class selectable from the menu.....and yes i know no one knows how right now.....but by sunday i promise to have a tutorial up.....an incomplete one as i still do not know how to get color select icons and parts.....but if you're making your own skins, i guess color selecting is no big deal anyway

SUCCESS!!! You Prime, are THE MAN. Much thanks bro, people you and Jedi Lurker make these forums go 'round. =D

Btw, thats a dope icon you got there. I always thought Max was a better Skull Leader than Hikaru. Too bad Yamato hasn't released a 1/48 DYRL Max-type VF-1S, hehe.

Originally posted by frans

During the cutsceens, my darth sidious model is holding Kyle's saber hilt, and when its time to ignite the blade, nothing happens.

Did I forget something so that saber hilts play correctly in the cutsceens?

I had the same problem too, so far this seems to solve it. In your .npc file, you want to edit the player part to include your model's saber. Something like this:

mara_ponytail

{

saber marajade

etc

etc

etc

}

player

{

saber marajade

class class_player

}

This way, the game will know to load your npc for the cutscenes, and your npc's saber for the cutscenes too.

payce

okay.....here is a big question to anyone who has extensive knowledge as to the modeling system in JA.....and this is also a brief update into this idea of a tutorial.....i just realized, that even though i had pulled out the necessary files to create skins that could be used to point the program in the right direction for a torso in a new SP class, and so and so forth for the legs and head, that i was definitely not including alot of the information in the torso skins included with the game.....now i have tested this new SP class, and it has worked, even without good icons, and the game play fine with it......so i will put up atutorial as how to do what i have done so far.....but if anyone out there is ahead of me i need some explanations as to certain instructions in the skins for the SP classes.....let me give a brief example.....here is what my current torso skin file looks like, that is being recognized by the game.....

torso,models/players/jedi_rpm/torso.tga

r_arm,models/players/jedi_rpm/arms.tga

r_hand,models/players/jedi_rpm/hands.tga

r_hand_cap_r_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

r_arm_cap_r_hand_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

r_arm_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

l_arm,models/players/jedi_rpm/arms.tga

l_hand,models/players/jedi_rpm/hands.tga

l_hand_cap_l_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

l_arm_cap_l_hand_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

l_arm_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

torso_llower,models/players/jedi_rpm/flaps.tga

torso_rlower,models/players/jedi_rpm/flaps.tga

here however is what the hm torso.skin file looks like:

torso_cap_hips_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

torso_cap_head_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

torsoa,*off

l_arma,*off

l_arma_cap_l_hand_off,*off

l_arma_cap_torso_off,*off

r_arma,*off

r_arma_cap_r_hand_off,*off

r_arma_cap_torso_off,*off

torsoa_cap_l_arm_off,*off

torsoa_cap_r_arm_off,*off

torsob,*off

r_armb,*off

r_armb_skin,*off

r_armb_cap_r_hand_off,*off

r_armb_cap_torso_off,*off

l_armb,*off

l_armb_skin,*off

l_armb_cap_l_hand_off,*off

l_armb_cap_torso_off,*off

torsob_cap_l_arm_off,*off

torsob_cap_r_arm_off,*off

torsoc,*off

r_armc,*off

r_armc_skin,*off

r_armc_cap_r_hand_off,*off

r_armc_cap_torso_off,*off

l_armc,*off

l_armc_skin,*off

l_armc_cap_l_hand_off,*off

l_armc_cap_torso_off,*off

torsoc_cap_l_arm_off,*off

torsoc_cap_r_arm_off,*off

torsod,models/players/jedi_hm/robes01.tga

r_armd,models/players/jedi_hm/robes01_arms.tga

r_armd_cap_r_hand_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

r_armd_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

torsod_lower,models/players/jedi_hm/robes01_lower.tga

l_armd,models/players/jedi_hm/robes01_arms.tga

l_armd_cap_l_hand_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

l_armd_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

torsod_cap_l_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

torsod_cap_r_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

torsoe,*off

r_arme,*off

r_arme_cap_r_hand_off,*off

r_arme_cap_torso_off,*off

l_arme,*off

l_arme_cap_l_hand_off,*off

l_arme_cap_torso_off,*off

torsoe_cap_l_arm_off,*off

torsoe_cap_r_arm_off,*off

torsoe_lower,*off

torsof,*off

r_armf,*off

r_armf_cap_r_hand_off,*off

r_armf_cap_torso_off,*off

l_armf,*off

l_armf_cap_l_hand_off,*off

l_armf_cap_torso_off,*off

torsof_cap_l_arm_off,*off

torsof_cap_r_arm_off,*off

torsog,*off

torsog_collar,*off

torsog_cap_r_arm_off,*off

torsog_cap_l_arm_off,*off

l_armg,*off

l_armg_cap_l_hand_off,*off

l_armg_cap_torso_off,*off

l_armg_cuff,*off

r_armg,*off

r_armg_cap_r_hand_off,*off

r_armg_cap_torso_off,*off

r_armg_cuff,*off

r_handg,*off

r_handg_cap_r_arm_off,*off

l_handg,*off

l_handg_cap_l_arm_off,*off

so it is quite obvious i am giving the game the bare minimum instructions.....just enough to load a visible skin.....what i would like to know is what all the off instructions are for, how are they useful.....what is their function.....and how can i incorporate these instructions knowingly into skins for currently existing models....skinning has always been the area i primarily worked in, but to do skinning in SP for this game requires alot more knowledge than SP in previous games.....so anyone who knows the significance of these instructions please let me know.....as i am not creating new models as of right now, and am merely taking apart the default skins for existing JA models and assembling them into torso/head/lower skins, i imagine i would need to be able to know the components of the model i am using to be able to give such instructions......any help is greatly appreciated......(this probably also has a great deal to do with why my icons are showing up incorrectly)

okay, i think i have figured out some of the significance of these instructions on my own.....the model had to be made taking into account every possible outfit(skin).....so some skins had say a collar for a jacket.....so when you are loading the robes skin, you need an instruction to turn the collar off, as the robes do not have a collar.....

but anything else anyone can add to this topic would be great.....because i am coming to a SLOW understanding by myself.....and i would like to know if these instructions do anything more than what i just discussed.....

Originally posted by numark79

SUCCESS!!! You Prime, are THE MAN. Much thanks bro, people you and Jedi Lurker make these forums go 'round. =D

Btw, thats a dope icon you got there. I always thought Max was a better Skull Leader than Hikaru. Too bad Yamato hasn't released a 1/48 DYRL Max-type VF-1S, hehe.

Glad I could help :) To bad I don't know enough to help eidospsogos right now. :(

I'm a big Macross fan, and Max has always been my guy...

Originally posted by eidospsogos

okay, i think i have figured out some of the significance of these instructions on my own.....the model had to be made taking into account every possible outfit(skin).....so some skins had say a collar for a jacket.....so when you are loading the robes skin, you need an instruction to turn the collar off, as the robes do not have a collar.....

but anything else anyone can add to this topic would be great.....because i am coming to a SLOW understanding by myself.....and i would like to know if these instructions do anything more than what i just discussed.....

As far as I know, that's all they do but I haven't played around with it all that much. The only experience I have dealing with the *off instructions was ironing out a small bug in a model I downloaded.

The icon problem I can sympathize with, as it's something I'm trying to figure out myself. The only thing I know about it is that in order to get the icons to function properly, you need to edit the players.shader file. I managed to get the icons for a couple recolors of existing player skins working, but if you want to add all new models, I have no idea how to go about it yet.

Archived