Home

Does ANYONE miss being able to use zone?

Flamehart

Would you like to use the Zone for JK3 as well as the ingame browser like JK2?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to use the Zone for JK3 as well as the ingame browser like JK2?

• Yes
    • No

Does anyone here ACTUALLY miss the MSN Gaming Zone? I mean, sure, its not hard to use the JK3 server finder, and I'm sure you all think the Gaming Zone sucks, but, the Server finder in JK3 just isn't enough. I get only around 12 servers every time i refresh, most are full or no force gametypes (Force is what makes JA, well, JA!). Who would like to have a JK3 section on the zone?

I realize that but still, its easier than using the ingame browser, and not to mention, there were SOME decent people on there. I'm just saying its an easier method rather than using a trial program or using the ingame browser, I do realize the community isn't too great though...does Gamespy support JK3? I havent had the chance to install it to find out =P

I definately miss the Zone, its where I always play JK2. The last 2 Jedi Knight games were on the Zone, I don't see why it isn't being done now. If you've never actually used it...its not a server browser like the ingame list, Gamespy, ASE, etc. To me its more fun cause it provides chat rooms, game lobbies and instant messaging. People host their own games, and it has nothing to do with dedicated servers like most would expect.

I just wanted to clarify. But for the poll, yes, the Zone needs JA.

Eh, I'm not losing any sleep over it. No offense to anyone that goes there, but that place was the biggest gathering of knuckleheads I'd ever encountered. Sure, it has it's decent players too. And I guess the idiots flock to just about anywhere you go, not just the Zone. But I've just personally had nothing but bad experiences there. Maybe it's just a me thing.

Yeah, I use ASE all the time, never get any registering crap. Most people on the zone isolated themselves from the rest of the community anyway then developed a huge ego problem :rolleyes:

ASE for me :) It's fast, free, better and does everyything you coudl want, like track friends, unlimited fav servers, easier interface etc. etc.

Some of my (few) experiences with the zone (for JK1) were positive, but for the most part I avoided it. The "sys ops" there were unhelpful and unfriendly, lots of flooders and egomaniacs, cheaters, and the software was usually unstable or forced me to "upgrade" even though I saw no improvements.

What with MS switching over to .NET registration and all that nonesense, I don't particularly miss them, no.

With the built in browser, I have no need for them, and since they removed JK/MotS support, at least I can use Qtracker and Gamespyarcade indefinately, for free.

Doesn't ASE have a 30 day limited trial? Sounds fine otherwise...

it works fine after 30 days.

It's like a lot of shareware that says "after 30 days you should send us money or not use this" but it still functions the same.

Call it the honor system I guess.

It does not nag you with pop ups or "REGISTER NOW!" crap either.

The best "power user" browser is qtracker but it's not noob friendly.

ASE is the best for the "lazy gamer" who just wants to start up an app and get a giant easy to read list with out having to sit through a bunch of b.s. ads or stumble through a bunch of stupid hard to use menu options.

It's one of those things (ASE) where you *should register just to keep them going because it is such a good app.

The zone should get JA. Most of the best players in Jk2 have played on the zone in the past. Also many members of BSoV and SDF and AIM clans played on the zone. The zone allows quick p2p play and has alot of great clan rivalries. It's really the most fun. But, I have always played on the zone and ded servers using ase or hlsw. Gamespy is utter crap!

The in game server search is utter crap, too!

If you haven't played alot on the zone, then you don't know what you're talking about. Sure the zone has a couple downsides, but the positive things outweigh the negative imo.

Plus, I play on the zone.... So I want JA there!

GamespyArcade is "utter crap" compared to the Zone?

I guess you and I weren't using the same GSA and Zone, because I had just the opposite impression! ; )

The Zone software was such that it still looked the same after years and years, and yet still needed weekly software updates and still crashed and didn't seem too improved despite all that.

Of course I gave up using the Zone when JK2 came out, so maybe things have changed in the last year for the better?

Anyway, with a game that has a built in server browser and dedicated server support, I really don't need the Zone or GSA.

If I want to chat with people about the game and exchange IP's and clan websites, I'd much rather go to the JK.net chatroom. While I may not be able to chat with "hundreds" of people, at least I won't get flooded with crap and nonesense.

I have honestly never used ASE, maybe it's good. If there's nothing to lose by using it for the 30 day trial, maybe I will.

When Qtracker adds JA support I'll check that out again too.

The best in-game browser I ever saw was the one used by Unreal Tournament (I never played UT2k3 so I can't say if that one was better or worse). Still, I'd rather use the in-game browser of the Q3 engine than the MSN Zone any day of the week.

Bottom line for me: GSA continues to support JK/MotS, the Zone doesn't.

I tried to use ASE to find a friend on ET. The program reported him being offline so I call him up only to find that he had been playing for the last two hours and was still playing as he was talking to me. If a program can't get your status right, what else is it not getting right?

Oh, in regard to some of you saying that it works after the 30 day registration period... That's part of the EULA. If you don't agree to it you have no legal right to use it after the 30 days. It's not the honor system. It's compliance with copyright law.

Archived