Home

Pics of my woodpile (attn. Jem!)

edlib

I was bored today, playing with my new digi-cam, and took a few pics of my axe collection. This might actually appeal to a few of you...

I'll use links for the sake of the dial-uppers:

Acoustics

Electrics

Jazz-Boxes

All Gibsons

Basses, Strat, and travel guitar

The 3 that see the most use

I think that's all of them. I'd show you my amps, but frankly they are a lot harder to move around,.. and far less photogenic. ;)

Yeah, but they played one in "This is Spinal Tap" so I had to get one! :D

Eddie Van Halen played one of these on "Little Guitars" too. (Hence the name)

Actually, my dad found it and gave it to me. It doesn't sound bad, but it's weird to play, more like a mandolin than a guitar, and I tune it to F# to keep the tension on the strings. You can do moves on it that you can't do on any other guitar and it sounds like you're really going wild.

Plus you can just toss it in a back-pack and hit the road. It doesn't weigh anything. I sure wish I had it while I was going to college and commuting on the subway with my Strat over my shoulder the whole time, let me tell you!

Here's my collection, it's nothing compared to yours, but it's enough to fill the empty space in my soul a million times.

Sorry for the extremly poor picture quality, I took them eith my useless webcam... (if you want I'll get better pictures once my brother gets here next time with his digital camera.)

My first child: Witkowski (a.k.a. the polish strat)

My dream come true: Ibanez Jem 555BK

But I'm not attached to it as I used to be. The tremolo arm is of inferior quality, so is it's capacity to stay in tune. It's the lesser and inferior model of all Jem series. But still, it's the best guitar I have. (Give me a break, I'm a student with no income :o)

When my electrique obssession suddenly went into hybernation, it came to me, classical Prudencio Saez.

I need to get it fixed, a tuning machine broke due to the tension of my High Tension Strings (the D one...). I don't know what this guitar was doing in the middle of nowhere in africa, but I just had to have it in my temporary phase of non-electric interest. It saved me and I learnt a whole new way and world of guitar playing. It sounds awesome!

Beautiful noise and power. My toys...

A crystal clear amp sound and infinite combination of effects, especially when I parallele plug both FX machines.

The Cosmic Key.

Just a beginner. I can only play very basic stuff.

Raw, powerful and primitive sound. Africa's influence on my music. My priceless and irreplaceable Djembe percussion set

I had two other big Djembe, I gave one to my brother, the other I sold it for almost nothing to a very good friend of mine. We Djembe jam every week. My friend left for France but I patiently await his return for more primitive energy release. Our Impros are the most professional music I've played. Everytime. Playing this releases and drains all your energy, all. You are like in trance when you get into it. It's more than words can say.

Mind blowing and really fun. It plays on it's own. My Calabasse set.

Difficult to Master: The Kora.

A really exotic african sound comes out of this cool instrument. My only problem, I don't remember the exact tuning it should be one. There are 21 strings. I don't play it often but I wish I could.

There, that's it.

By the way I was waiting you'd show up to show you this. I'm going to see it at Montreal. I can't wait! They go at Boston November 12. Don't miss it!

I went to the "Rolling Stones & friends" Concert at Toronto. AC/DC Rocks and kick arse of all bands when it comesto live performance. I was really close too. (450 000 people)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/photo_gallery/3112731.stm

Best memories of that concert: AC/DC, topless woman, Me emptying my bottle of water on a topless woman's Ti** (Thank you AC/DC :D)

only regret: Didn't bring a camera, DAMMIT!

PS: I like your Traveler guitar and bass. I'd like one.

I've seen a few of those African instruments before, but there aren't many folks around here who try to play them. (A couple...)

Very cool.

The Kora looks wild, man. And djembes are so much fun.

G3 with Malmsteen, eh? You must be in hog heaven! That's gonna be a lot of guitar notes that night, I'll tell ya!

I saw the G3 tour with Kenny Wayne Shepard. Not as cool. Vai and Satch were great,.. but he didn't quite fit in. I missed it with Eric Johnson (I had to work another concert that night,.. Gregg Allman if I remember correctly) but I got to mix monitors for Eric Johnson's band a few months later. If I'm not already working that night I'll see if I can check it out.

The concert I'm most looking forward to that's coming to the place I work is Ian Anderson's unplugged tour. That should be a blast. Even if I'm not working that night I'll be there!

My classical is an Ibanez. I bought it when I decided I was really going to learn to play some classical pieces correctly,.. and then a few weeks later decided that I just really couldn't stand having the necessary long fingernails. I love the sound, but I can't really do it justice.

I've been thinking about getting another bass (a 5-string Jazz bass) 'cuz niether of mine are really all that great. I love playing bass now that I have a grip on the "poppin' and slappin'" thing,.. but a good one isn't all that cheap, so it's hard to justify it when I already have 2.

If I did more recording I could justify it... hmmmm...

I'm currently really tempted in purchasing a Gibson SG:

sg%20

Right now it's the only guitar I really want.

Actually I've always wanted one for like 2 or 3 years but it never reached top of my list. I used to crave and kill for custom signature Ibanez with some mean arse tremolo arm. But lately, Gibson SG is all I want.

Please submit your opinion, edlib.

A couple of months back I got the only guitar I could want or need - the Burns' version of Brian May's homemade guitar, the most beautiful guitar in the world...

burns_brianmay_pic.jpg

It sounds great, and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm not sure what kind of strings I'm going to settle on using, though. I have a couple of sets of RotoSound Pinks on the way that I think may work well. Too bad Maxima is no more...

Jem: I had an SG... it wasn't a really good one, and I needed money in a hurry, so I sold it. It's the only guitar I ever regret getting rid of. It sounded AMAZING on tape. If you can get a really good one I can only imagine how awsome it would be...

Keyan: Very sweet. I remember you mentioning you wanted one a while back. Glad to see you finally got it.

Brian May has one of the best and most unique tones in rock. Hes one of the ones I can usually identify with one note, even if I haven't heard the song before.

I know you wanted to get a Vox amp to go along with it. What are you doing on that front?

I use whatever strings are on sale. I prefer pure nickel strings, heavy (11 on top, with an unwound .18 or .20 for the 3rd)

I usually get Dean Markleys,.. although I'm not that fussy.

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander

I got the only guitar I could want or need

HA! I point and laugh at your foolishness!

There is no such thing as "THE Guitar" or "The only one". Soon you will fall deep into the dark sickness, the SICKNESS !!!

Head my warning! You will succomb to THE SICKNESS.

at least I'm sure edlib knows what I'm talking about... ;)

Originally posted by edlib

Keyan: Very sweet. I remember you mentioning you wanted one a while back. Glad to see you finally got it.

Brian May has one of the best and most unique tones in rock. Hes one of the ones I can usually identify with one note, even if I haven't heard the song before.

I know you wanted to get a Vox amp to go along with it. What are you doing on that front?

Yeah, ever since they came out I'd been wanting one, especially after reading the excellent reviews it got. I found a place selling them for $800, which is incredibly cheap compared to most places, so I figured I could afford that.

As for the amp, Vox came out with something called the "Brian May Special" which was essentially the "Deacy" amp that Queen Bassist John Deacon made for Brian May (only the Vox version is much more adjustable). Brian often used this amp in recording (you can here it in "Bohemian Rhapsody" and many others). It is a small amp, and it was only $150 dollars, so I bought that long before I even bought the guitar, because I wanted a little practice amp anyway.

The amp has something else of interest, too. Brian May always uses a certain kind of treble booster, and the amp includes that. It makes quite an interesting sound. If I want more power, there is an output on the amp that outputs just the signal from the treble booster (and cuts off the speaker), and I can run that into my much larger Dean Markley K-75 (though I have never actually done that, since I haven't needed it and I don't have an unshielded speaker cable to do it anyway).

So, yes, I'd love to have a Vox AC30, but I don't have $2000 to spare at the moment, and this setup serves me pretty well. It doesn't sound exactly like Brian's, but that's just fine, because that is not my intention anyway. Yes, I can play the Queen stuff, but the guitar and the little Vox amp are so versatile that I can get pretty much anything else I want. The guitar alone is able to cover such a variety of sounds since each pickup (there are three, wired in series) can be turned on or off, and each has a phase reversal switch.

Just the other day, for example, I was playing some Beatles stuff. I was playing the Let It Be solo (the one from the album, not the single), and messing with everything, and I got a real nice approximation of the sound George Harrison had on it.

The variety of sounds has even gotten my own creative juices flowing and I've come up with some nice original stuff.

Originally posted by Jem

... at least I'm sure edlib knows what I'm talking about... ;)

Uh,.. no. No idea at all. :confused:

;)

Yeah,.. I have a list of gear I "need" that's longer than my arm. It's sad, in a way. I wish I was one of those fortunate few who have one instrument for their entire lives and are happy with that.

I saw that little Vox amp reviewed and it seemed pretty cool. I wondered if that is what you ended up with.

My dad just got the sweetest Fender Vibroverb. It's a Silverface one from the late '60s. Man, does it sound AWESOME!!! I need one!

Right now I need to re-tube the amps I have.

I'd actually like to get a nice acoustic guitar someday. The one I have is my grandfather's old one, and it's good, except that the high E string gets flatter and flatter as it does up the fingerboard. The others are perfect, but the high E just keeps getting flatter the higher you go up. I don't even understand how this is possible. It's obvious by the time you're on the fifth fret.

It has to do with the intonation as set by the bridge. Older acoustics (except for most archtops) usually have no way to adjust it, and you just have to live with it. It's funny that it's all on the one string though. Basically, if the string goes flat I think you want to make the scale length shorter.

This might be impossible on your guitar without moving the bridge though,.. not a job for the feint of heart.

This might be impossible on your guitar without moving the bridge though,.. not a job for the feint of heart.

Moving the bridge to arrange one string without affecting the others?? I wouldn't even know where to begin!

Maybe not move the whole bridge...

You'd have to cut the bridge block at that point, cut a new slot for it further forward, and place it at the proper position.

Or just buy a more modern bridge with string compensation (like one off a Takamine) and retrofit the instrument.

All of these solutions would really suck to even attempt, and there's a real good chance you'd end up wrecking it for good anyway,.. so you're better off just getting a new one for all the hassle of thinking about fixing it.

I doubt there's any real solution...

Maybe not move the whole bridge...

You'd have to cut the bridge block at that point, cut a new slot for it further forward, and place it at the proper position.

That's the first thing I thought of.

would really suck to even attempt, and there's a real good chance you'd end up wrecking it for good anyway,..

And that's the reason why I stopped bothering thinking about it.

The whole idea of attempting such a crazy stunt gives me the shivers.

When it comes to guitar fixin', I only do stuff on my own when it's replacing a whole piece, not when I have to tamper with it and try to play God. :o

Ike, I'm really not that familiar with Steve Hackett's music; where would be a good place to get started?

It's funny cuz I'm a huge prog-rock fan otherwise (Rush, Yes, Tull...) I've just never listened to the early Genesis stuff. Probably because I associate them too much with Phil Collins' (mostly bad) pop singles.

I like Peter Gabriel's music though...

ed, my dear dear man, you have come to the right place!

before you get into steve hackett's work, you need to check out some of the classic genesis from the 70's. if you like PG and prog, there are 5 studio albums by genesis from the PG era, as follows:

Trespass: 1970, not bad. hackett wasn't guitarist though. Ant Phillips was.

Nursery Cryme: much better. Great tunes like Musical Box, Fountain of Salmacis, Return of the Giant Hogweed.

Foxtrot: prog is in full swing. great classics like Watcher of the Skies and the epic 23 minute Supper's Ready. Steve makes his acoustic debut with the lovely Horizons.

Selling England by the Pound: one of my two favorite all time albums. It has an ethereal feel to it, and often soars. Hackett plays a legendary solo in Firth of Fifth. entire album is terrific with songs like Cinema show and Dancing with the Moonlit Knight. If i had to recommend one for you to get, it would be this one.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway: a 2 CD concept album about the story of Rael. This is considered by many to be Genesis' masterpiece, but it tends to ebb and flow. The good songs are magnificent, but one can get the impression that there is a lot of filler, especially on CD 2. However, this album still gets at least 4.5 stars out of 5.

after PG left, Genesis made two more albums with Steve, those being A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering. Both are very good if you can deal with phil on vocals, but W&W is a lot more soft, using a lot more acoustic guitar and piano than TotT.

Now, assuming that you buy one or more of these albums before listening to Steve, my suggestion would be to start with his first album, Voyage of the Acolyte. It's a concept album of sorts, and there are only a couple songs with vocals, but it is good stuff.

If you decide to go straigh to Steve, then you should start with Spectral Mornings and then Guitar Noir. Those are his two absolute best and give you a great idea as to his talent.

If you want to learn more about steve, you can check out his website at http://www.stevehackett.com or check out this site: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Stage/5725/

i guarantee that you will like his stuff. if not, then your loss :p

Thanks! :) I suspect I will,.. I've heard nothing but good things. It's just that somehow I managed to miss his work, and when faced with all the old Genesis titles at the local CD shoppe I just didn't know where to begin, and what to avoid.

I've been in a bit of a music listening slump lately. I haven't bought anything since Steely Dan's latest. Having a new group and guitarist to check out and explore sounds promising.

I'll let you know what I think.

cool :) either way you go, good prog albums by steve are Voyage of the Acolyte, Please Don't Touch, Spectral Mornings and Defector. Guitar Noir is a good album in general, as is his latest, To Watch the Storms. he also has a number of acoustic albums which are excellent.

Archived