Home

Server Admins, Read here

Tarus

If your going to host a server please check what the max capacity is. Ive joined 10 servers in the last 3 days and had to leave due to lag.

I join and its a nice 3 on 3 or 5 on 5. We all play and have a great game. Couple more people join and thinks are fine. Couple more join and BOOM, everyone has 600+ ping. These are duel and/or siege servers.

Please admins, don't try to have some packed huge server, the game is made for a max of 16 players. Usually its not a good idea to go right up to the max. If you want a high number do one or all of the following:

1. Post your email and ask people how the lag and server is.

2. Check back often and when/if you notice your server is full ask the people in it how its running.

3. For duel only: Think smaller. A 16 player duel server leaves people waiting for a very long time before they get their turn. Duel servers should be around 6 player (perhaps run two 6 player ones if your computer can handle it). If you want more try a power duel or siege.

Originally posted by Tarus

1. Post your email and ask people how the lag and server is.

Done and done.

2. Check back often and when/if you notice your server is full ask the people in it how its running.

Done.

3. For duel only: Think smaller. A 16 player duel server leaves people waiting for a very long time before they get their turn. Duel servers should be around 6 player (perhaps run two 6 player ones if your computer can handle it). If you want more try a power duel or siege.

I run a FFA.

I get EXCELLENT ping times on my server. I RARELY have anyone over a 100 and not for long. My personal average ping is 30-40 somthing. Server is located in Texas on multiple OC-3's.

Check it out. I too have been running into a ton of servers that seem like they're running on a cable modem and it is real irritating.

Tarus, though I do appreciate you said please, you're coming across somewhat as an unexpected house guest telling me to tidy up.

I don't intend to sound like a jackass, but there's a fine line between constructive criticism and ingratitude.

I rent a 16 player server. And since I am billed based on the capacity of guests I may host, you darn well better believe I am going to try to make a 16 player game as functional as possible. I have experienced performance issues (specifically in Siege) as you've mentioned, and I am working with the service provider to alleviate this problem. It is too early to tell if this is an issue with the network, the provider or Academy itself (for all we know, clients with pirated versions of the game could be mucking things up).

If in fact scaling things down to a 12 player or even an 8 player server proves the best solution, then I will do so and enjoy the reduced rate I pay per month to provide you with another place to play for free.

Kaia..care to share your server specs? Tis not so much about the actual specs of the computer but bandwidth plays a huge part. This is a low cpu game, just like all q3 engines. Bandwidth is the monster. I'm just curious to hear who you are hosting from.

http://www.jediservers.com/

All JediServers.com game servers are hosted on dedicated dual Intel Xeon 2.0 GHz PCs (4.0 GHz of processor power per box), with 1GB of RAM, and twin mirrored 73GB SCSI hard drives.

...game servers are on a multiple OC-3 (155 Mbps) system. The proximity to a major Internet backbone is quite good, so we supply great pings to just about any location.

...game servers are installed under Red Hat Linux 7.3.

Kaia..Welp....Those are nice specs for a server and the backbone sounds good as well, however, there is no telling how many people share that server with you. Also you have a bit rate of 5000. This is probably the cause of the lag. Though the specs and everything are wonderful the bit rate is slowing everyone down to act like modems. Actually 4000 is a modem rate, so you are not utilizing any of the available bandwidth. They probably do this to keep the server prices down, but this without a doubt would cause lag.

Who knows..maybe they will work with you a bit. Try taking the player slots down in exchange for more bandwidth. From what I have been involved with, you shouldn't be below 8k. 10k is optimal.

I mean no offense to your host, but there has to be a reason why they are so inexpensive. Bandwidth is usually the difference.

Im not sure why your offended Kaia, it sounds as though your already watching your server and trying to adjust to it. Im refering to those admins who stick up a server of 16+ and they are never seen.

The other day the people in the server I was playing in were kicking everyone that joined. Its sad when the players are forced to set a 10 player limit themselves by kicking excess people so that the lag stays down. And while it may seem wrong, it was ether kick people as they joined or have everyone playing in an 800 ping game (I.E. no fun for anyone).

Originally posted by Blardov

Kaia..Welp....Those are nice specs for a server and the backbone sounds good as well, however, there is no telling how many people share that server with you. Also you have a bit rate of 5000. This is probably the cause of the lag.

I for one can vouche that he is mostly likely getting excellent ping performance.

He wasn't saying he was having ping problems. He was complaining that to many servers that people throw up out there do have crap performance. And I agree.

But you did come across a little rude. However, it is a world of difference when I play on my server and then one of these dogs.

Originally posted by Tarus

The other day the people in the server I was playing in were kicking everyone that joined. Its sad when the players are forced to set a 10 player limit themselves by kicking excess people so that the lag stays down. And while it may seem wrong, it was ether kick people as they joined or have everyone playing in an 800 ping game (I.E. no fun for anyone).

I'm not sure I understand this. If they can't host anyone over 10 players without an 800 ping, then they just don't have the bandwidth. Uh, and why don't they just set the maxplayers to 10?

Or better yet, for those who get to stay, why would they want to play on a server with a 400ms+ ping time? That's got to be about the best they can get.

And here's a hint for anyone hosting a server and client on the same LAN... YOU are responsible for lagginng the other players with wide open maxrate and a 2ms ping time.

I for one can vouche that he is mostly likely getting excellent ping performance.

He wasn't saying he was having ping problems. He was complaining that to many servers that people throw up out there do have crap performance. And I agree.

But you did come across a little rude. However, it is a world of difference when I play on my server and then one of these dogs.

You can get low pings until you're blue in the face, but that does not mean you are going to get good performance out of the server and its output. He said he was having problems with performance and bit rate will indeed affect that.

And I'm not sure how you are saying I am came off rude for trying to help someone improve their server. He said his host was working on the issue and it was just a suggestion for him to bring up.

Tarus, I wasn't necessarily offended, though I thought my "house guest" analogy was fairly to the point.

You're essentially complaining about a service others have taken the time, effort and resources to provide to you for free. Furthermore you are instructing those individuals in a rather condescending/patronizing manner.

I understand your frustration, nevertheless appreciate this isn't EverQuest or Star Wars Galaxies. The money you spent on purchasing Jedi Academy (assuming you didn't pirate a copy) only guarantees you a single player game. Joining a multiplayer server is a privilege.

As I said before, bear in mind the game hasn't been out yet even two weeks. There are bound to be difficulties until all the various nuances are revealed. Please be patient.

Blardov, I was neither offended by your post. Bit rate is one of the first things my provider suggested could be responsible for performance issues and they've been quite helpful in trying to reach a mutually beneficial solution. My main concern now is the frequency of packet loss I get when I try to join myself.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by mark_ahlers

What is the calculation for what Maxrate for What connection for what amount of users? (I hope I said that correctly) Also are there any utilities you can use to benchmark both upload and download bandwidth?

server upload rate (in bits per sec) = sv_maxclients (maximum players that will connect over The Internet) x sv_maxrate (in bytes per sec) x 8 (to convert bytes to bits)

So if you have a typical residential DSL or cable modem connection with 256kbs upload bandwidth, and you want 8 players to connect over the Internet:

256,000 / 8 / 8 = 4000

So for 8 players with that connection, you should set sv_maxrate 4000. If you want to double sv_maxrate to 8000, you must reduce sv_maxclients to 4 to compensate (or get a faster connection).

You can check your bandwidth here:

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Upload bandwidth is what matters for server hosting.

Archived