Home

JKA Release : LightDisc

Wolrajh

Hello there ;

I decided to release my little contribution to the modeling scene for jka, which is the LightDisc. You can get two pictures of it :

The first here...

... And here is the second

Ok, this weapon was designed for dual saber style, and anyway single saber style with multi bladed weapons doesn't seem to be working correctly yet.

You can get the file here.

Hope you enjoy it, and look forward to more work soon ! ;)

Wolrajh

Hi there and firstly thanks for the great reception ;)

CaladienJedi and 12thmonkey : I agree with Monkey about the way customizing sabers has gone. I never tried with JK2 to make sabers, only some player models modifications, and I must say that those news features for us editing folks in JKA are great, although not yet beyond expectations ;) Actually, making hilts is a chil play : make a hilt, put some tags with the proper orientation (maybe the weirdest part Oo), compile, make the .sab file and go with it. ;)

Cheeto101 : I haven't put any block bonus, nor any bonus at all. Except thaht is it possible to chain the moves without limits, but actually it doesn't seem to make a real difference ingame. I think it is possible though to lower block or parry stats of a saber, so I should have a look on this later. I think I'll first need to test in actual gameplay, maybe I'll need to get some reports... We probably all still need to pratice before we can make balanced new cool-looking weapons. For example, one thing that could be done (and easily) would be shortening the blades even more, to push the close combat aspect... Right now a kata seems to do a lot of damage, more than with regular sabers... After all, there are 12 more blades ! But still, a good swing of anything else, staff or red saber, should kill the uncautious jedi creeping too near ... ;)

That's the way every hilts-maker should go : try to make balanced weapons... I don't think the Disc is one yet, but it can probably become... After testing, that's it.

---

Wolrajh

man, with new animations, we could have tons and tons of different kinds of sabers. I mean, like spear sabers, nunchuku sabers, that claw saber thats bein developed, the possibilities are limitless.

I mean, its looks good now with the basic anims, but custom ones would be awesome. Is raven gonna release the tools or is it lookin doubtfull???

It isn't doubtful at all : yet I think it isn't necessary. Why? Because if they did use the same system as JK2, then the animations are done with Softimage XSI. The problem was that it really difficult to do... I don't have all details, but obviously it wasn't the easiest thing you could do in JK2.

Now, maybe it'll be made easier for jka ? I don't know. My bet is that, however, we will quickly see new animations, new mods, etc.. And since it has become easier to make new sabers, my second bet is that yes, we could see lightspike, light[put you can think of here :p]. I have just found a way to make lightscimitars and weapons with approximately curved blades, so... ;)

man, scimitar sabers would be sweet with the one handed stances actually. Weirdest thing though now, i installed some hilt packs, now my single stance with the double bladed saber is the same anims as if i had both blades extended its pretty funky

Hmm but on topic with the light disc. It would be kinda cool if the blades, instead of stikin straigh out, kinda curved around the disc?? Hmm, wish i had a pic or somethin to show but i dont. Let your imagination run with that one.

*rains on this parade*

how would you bend light? mirrors? I like the ideas but to keep with the realism of StarWars, how would you bend the blade exactly? have like a crazy mechisims going up the blade to curve the blade?

why not just make vibro blades of these, that'd be pretty cool, like something Boba Fett would actually use instead of seeing him weilding a light saber.

but all in all, the idea's cool. I had no Idea you could do this crazy stuff, I like the idea of Light-nunchuckas

Well Rasin, you've totally got the point. As I said on the other post where I talked of the 'bended' blades, I strongly disagree with the idea as bending the light is impossible... Except with some new unknown technology. But aren't the lightsabers impossible too? Creating a blade of a defined length, whereas it should be limitless ?

So I don't think I'll we ever release those bended-bladed saber. But it was worth a try, just to know if there was a way to cheat it :)

and actually, light can be bent quite easily, as it passes through water it is bent, stuff like that. I dunno, its all fan fic anyways. I thought the light katanas of JO were kinda cool.

Naw, hes sayin he knows how to bend the saber in game.

Hmmm vibro blade, that could be interesting,

Well as cheeto said, I DO know how to cheat and make the blade LOOKS like bending. Just see... This was a quick test, and actually the curve can be made with up to 7 edges - 8 in a near future, probably. It could use a few more work on it to have something looking cool, but here again I don't think it'll really be... "realistic". Ah well, it's up to me and every modeler around here, isn't it... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived