Home

Seriously, Single Saber is the best!

Master William

The single saber works great if you are a jk2 duel veteran playing a guy who sucked at jk2 or is a jk3 noob, no matter what type of blade they have. But a single saber is useless, even if your skilled, against a moderately good jk2 player wielding a staff or duel sabers. The problem with jk3 is its way too easy to win with duel or staff because all you have to do is sweep (if you don't know how to sweep then U ARE SUCK!). Yesterday, using duel sabs, I beat a guy handily and I wasn't even paying attention to what he was doing, I was watching what people were chatting about! I mean give me a break! :rolleyes: And when I play my fellow tallented jk2 veterans, whoever wins, wins more on a lucky random swing than from their jk2 tallent. All the good jk2 duelers I know, these are people in clans like SDF, DD, AIM, BSoV, and Masters (if you've never heard of them u probably aren't a very good dueler) believe jk3 is a game that requires no skill to win. Some one either wins because they get a lucky random hit or they get screwed by a special that takes no tallent to execute. If they don't make jk3 more like jk2 then we will go back to jk2, my clan is already discussing this option and I'm sure others are as well.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep saying it's all personal preference (which is what Raven intended it to be). Some people say the staff is useless, others say the dual sabers are usless and still others the single.

And they turn around and say one of those is "uber" the others.

The game has only been out 2 weeks, but it seems more and more that people can't agree which one is useless or the strongest, so it keeps coming back to preference and skill of the user.

Maybe a mod should be made that takes away all of the moves from the single saber, and all it has is one button, you press it and you do the DFA and it kills in one hit and you can spin around.

Sound good? ; )

You're right dh, some of you guys need to jump into your thread and share comments if they haven't already:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112590

Anyone notice that the single saber has nowhere near the destructive power of the dual sabers or the light staff?

Nobody will "win" but at least you'll see that the "consensus" is not that the single saber is "nerfed" compared to the other two.

I assume you're saying that the single sabers are actually less able to win against Saberstaff and Dualsabers, and not that they simply do less actual damage right?

Because all saber types have so-called "one hit kill moves" (if they land) and all of them have weaker moves that do very little damage.

Originally posted by Master William

I know how to handle single saber very good, I just pull and do the blue stance dfa when they try to run away.

You're probably referring to the blue lunge? (Crouch + forward & attack)

If I recall correctly, it was the JO yellow special that was originally named "the DFA" (Death From Above), but at some point the name was stolen by the red special move we all love to whore in JO FFA. :)

I think the name fits the medium special best, although it doesn't really bring death to anyone because it's too easy to avoid. :D

Back on topic: I like the single saber too but I wish they gave us the old DFA back though. I doubt it would unbalance things. Right now the DFA seems like a total waste. I don't think I've killed anyone with that move even when I connect perfectly..multiple times in a row. :(

Does anyone know what the damage of a DFA is? 20? :rolleyes:

It's a bit of an irony i guess... Back in JO I plaied Single saber cuz it was the only one available without using the staff cheat or a mod...even using mods, the dual sabers and the staff never did appeal to me cuz they had single saber animations or derivants that clipped alot and put the style off completely (Well it did count to me as a big no no ;P go figure).

Now suddenly we got 2 new saber we always wanted fitted with proper animations and all... BUT... after reading the "singel saber sux!" threads... I felt compeled to play it and see what's the deal with it.

A big surprise to me... cuz i was hoping to play alot with the staff cuz i simply love the weapon techinique (based on the Bo staff I believe) when I found Single saber to be my favorite. And although I have to admit some moves from the staff and dual make killing easy... it's not at all impossible to win with the single saber.. and I use mostly yellow stance as primary stance, then add red and blue tricks in the middle when i see the oportunity.

What balances the most I think is that although powerful, the dual and staff high damage moves are avoidable (specially but not only when simply spammed without good understanding and timming) and leave the staff/dual users completely open for attack. The singel Katas are just as useful as the other 2 saber katas with the advantage that...unlike the other 2...you have 3 katas available to you.

The red DFA is indeed weaker than JO but better thought of as it is no longer a spam move but a strategic move... there is always a time when opponents are locked in place cuz you dodged their uber move and theyr are standing there...finishing it.

The Yellow DFA happens to be hard to hit... but not entirely impossible... I still need more training with this one... cuz i have to figure out when and how exactly to perform it... I have hit it..and i have the general clue...like i said..time to test it.

My guess is you have to hit after you reached the apex of the jump and you should be behind the oppoent already. The move probably has to be perform so that you start at some distance of the oppoent and land right behind and next to them. This is my guess...testing later.

I'll just give a few tips on how i fight... many may think they are basic automatic but i'll just say them anyway.

* General tip: Study your opponent and explore its weaknesses wheter it's predictability or using the open defense of a missed kata for instance.

*Alternate between Offensive and Defensive techniques. Some fit oppoenets and/or situations better than others.

*Taking the last point into account...ilude your opponent into thinking you are going defensive when you are just setting him up for an offense (gotta luv when they dont see'em comming :D)

*to mash buttons or not to mash buttons? Mash in the sense you are trying mindlessly and desperatly to hit your oppoent... definetly NOT as it causes a big gap in your defense and any skilled player will take advantage of that. Everyone has luck and sometimes it may payoff...it simply is random and cannot be relied upon.

*Single sabers although not the stronger, are surelly the most versatile. Forget what JO was all about...dont stick to Red stance..see what the other 2 stances have to offer and explore their every move.

*Staff and duel have the ability to gain on you while attacking...avoid them and get them before they finish the move.

*Single Katas dont gain ground on opponent? no prob..set your opponents up... make them come to you... be ready to dodge if they start anything deadly and use the kata on them if they dont and get close enough.

Well There are more lil pointers... but im just not giving everything away now am I? ;P

Just remember play with your brains... save your mouse... and enjoy sainlge saber :)

hey VanishingVision, lets duel sometime, I wanna try if your hard stance style is as you

Sure... anytime! e-mail me at visionjunk@hotmail.com or visit my character website at http://www.vanishingvision.vze.com and post a time or lol post what time at http://shadowwinds.proboards20.com/ or lol ICQ me at 156398732 or you could even join TWL or COG and contact me there... lol I am easily contactable...

Enjoy the joys of modern communication!

-VanishingVision

Originally posted by nabroc

... But when the players have a little experience, the random spamming of slashes and katas won't do it any longer. ... The katas of the staff and especially that of the dual saber are hardly useful in a duel, because you see them coming from way off. ... the better the opponents get, the more it helps to have some decent experience with all of em to know what can and can't be accomplished.

... IMO it ain't the saber it's the wielder that makes the difference.

That sound right.

Personally I like all the "NOOB" name calling, because someone uses a Saber staff or Dual Sabers. I guess Raven put them in game for the NPCs to use, or maybe just to look pretty. Thanks guys, but you should have known that only NOOBs use that stuff right. lol

I know they aren't all well balanced yet. That can ether get better with patching or worse like in the past. :rolleyes:

I played JKII from the time it came out never got the hang of the saber tell the later part of the games life. It was like a light bulb one day "Oh so that's how it goes" type of thing.

As far as what's more powerful the Single, Dual Sabers, or Saber Staff. None make any difference if you don't know how to us them. I think you could have the most overpowered uber weapon in game and if you are a idiot with it you might as well give up.

For that matter never pull out a knife in a gun fight. ;) Unless you run out of ammunition. I love all the screaming and crying when someone tries to attack me with a saber "any saber" lol and I blast them with a gun. Here are my comments for all the knife fighters out there.

(1) If you didn't want me shooting at you and killing you again and again why do you attack me?

(2) If you want to dual people why did you come to a FFA with Guns?

(3) If you don't like the way I play leave.

Ah guns another NOOB weapon. I guess I must be a NOOB I keep using all the weapons Raven put in the game. Why they keep putting all this no skill stuff in game? It's a waist of time. this game would be so much better with "NO Dual Saber, NO Saber Staff, and NO GUNS" right. Every server playing the same game with everyone doing the same moves over and over with the same weapons. SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only NOOBs in this game are the people running around calling people NOOBs. Last I check everyone playing this game is a NOOB... Generally 9 out of 10 times the people crying and screaming NOOB this and NOOB that. When the game ends they're at the bottom of the board.

For all the wonderful people out there like that...

I got your NOOB right here B!tch..........

I like staff and single the best. I use staff more often though cause I usually play on TFFA where there are lots of people around. However, when I'm doing 1v1, I switch to single a lot. Light stance is easy to gets hits with, but the low damage negates the swiftness advantage. I don't think any of the sabers are significantly better than others, which really pleases me.

I'm not saying people ARE noobs that use dual sabers (and thats the only thing I called something with 'noob'), I'm just seeing the dual sabers as a sort of noob weapon, I don't see the wielder of them as a noob though.

Hmm Really No need to retract your statement for me. As far as I'm concerned you can think what you want..........

I call the dual sabers 'noob sticks'.

I think the cries of "noob noob!" come primarily from people who think that users of non single sabers are "fanboys" who use them only because they were featured in the prequel movies (and because they liked the prequels, they just not be TRUE fans, but little kids who joined the star wars franchise late, etc darth maul worshippers, etc.).

The other reason is that since many have played JK2 and considered themselves to have "mastered" the (single) saber combat, they consider themselves masters (or nearly masters) of it already. They are resistant to new stuff being put in the game to compete with their mastery.

It would be sort of like if I were a Merr Sonn player who was great in JK2 and now suddenly I have to deal with a bunch of cocky Concussion Rifle experts. I'd moan about the "good old days" that "these kids today" couldn't possibly appreciate. ; )

I dunno if one is better than two, or two in one. I think it depends on your style. I can rock on all three, but I prefer the staff; it seems to make contact more often, and I feel it causes more damage. No saberthrow is it's drawback. Duel sabers are great fun, but they leave you vulnerable when you swing, I feel like they're too flashy, and just don't get it done. I'm sorry, I'm probably bias against single saber because its kind of out of date. Whatever floats your boat, though.

:lsduel:

Originally posted by Kurgan

It would be sort of like if I were a Merr Sonn player who was great in JK2 and now suddenly I have to deal with a bunch of cocky Concussion Rifle experts. I'd moan about the "good old days" that "these kids today" couldn't possibly appreciate. ; )

Concussion Rifle hmm if you can get it to work right. On the few levels where there is one it runs out of ammunition on me after the 1st shot. lol I'm heavy Repeater guy myself and sometimes a blaster rifle or Thermo detonators.... AH Thermo detonators.

If you see a guy running around killing loads of people with Thermo detonators. It most likely is me... Allot of people haven't learned the right time to push them away yet. It's just so much fun watching poeple dance...

Archived