Home

classic weapons thread

laghima

ja opens up quite a bit of ground for saber moding and, while the sith sword/edged weapon class isn't selectable just yet, it's reasonable to assume that someone will find a way to code it in once the mp source is released (or, failing that, i could throw together one of the cheesy gfx/shader packages from jo).

until then, feel free to post relevant models/suggestions here

(swords/clubs/throwing knives/staplers...pretty much anything that doesn't suspend a column of plasma :) )

i'll start things off with a basic kodachi;

kodachi1.jpg

i'm still tweaking the model, let me know what you think, it looks great with a spec map though ^_^

ok, i've got a temporary fix for the effects; it only alter's the shader and efx, but it works well enough, and it's not quite as slopy as manual gfx replacements

http://www.geocities.com/lsenpai/swoosh.jpg

here's a pic (it's mid kata, so they obviously wont draw a trail like that most of the time), for the moment the effect is identical to the sith sword in sp (sans lightning...). there are a few catches though: 1. it replaces all standard saber colors 2. i haven't taken the time to substitute more realistic impact efx yet (just removed sparks/smoke), and 3. dynamic lighting needs to be disabled. also, i don't really have a good sound pack at the moment (hence the twangy one i included with my other models), so i could use some help with that end of it :) .

kain/hoodian; sorry, but i'm not familiar enough with the styles/termanology for european swords to do them justice(the "glory of the sith" is an estoc isn't it?), they never caught me as being very interesting. but if your looking for indo-asian/bulkan(as in the peninsula...) designs then i might be able to help ^_^

ps:for the pics, paste the url or click the link then remove http:// and reload.

Why don't we create things like force pikes (for the royal guard models), or axes (for the gammorean models)?

It would be great if we could perhaps make them for single player npc use. I would love to be able to create npc's that use melee weapons of this sort to brighten up the lower levels (does anybody remember the gammorean in Jedi Knight and Dark Forces that attacked you with an axe).

Also, as mentioned above, the Royal Guards and their Force pikes. Has anybody else read the Crimson Empire Comics?

thought i should post an update, i've finished several models, improved the efx, transfered sound effects from the sith sword, and made a basic blood mod (ja dosent seem to recognize impact efx, so no wall splatters this time)

here's a pic;

kiyoshige1.jpg

they're at pcgamemods under kiriai

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Laghima, I've got a bunch of your swords/staves workin in a weapons pack over at http://www.pcgamemods.com/2868/ . I've got a total of 35 JKO weapons imported. Right now the standard sabers are replaced, I'll be changing that in my next release.

One of the tricks is that the 'staff' weapons (Ji, Naganita) are still technically single-bladed sabers in the game. I still like using them because the Katas kick ass. So my recomendation would be to:

A: Fix the staves that're out there and

B: Make more staves. :p I'd recomend what I call the Dracul Lance http://members.rogers.com/knightofdracul/image/lance.jpg. I got one off eBay myself.

Usurpo: I've not only got Reaper's forcee flame mod working but I've also converting the Demp gun to a Flamethrower. You can snag my Weapons Test http://www.pcgamemods.com/2797/ and try it out.

Correction :

The Ji and Naganita work fine as dual-blades sabers. What I SHOULD have said was that the should be held more in the center of the pole.

it would't really be worth the effort to fix my old models. i was just learning 3ds when i made them, the katanas(and most of the other weapons) were completely disproportionate, the textures were basic, and i couldn't have spent more then ten minutes on any of them. i've already posted a new set of katanas with a simple effects package and i'll get to the staves after my classes slow down and i finish a request project. until then, i'd rather not have my old ones ported too heavily (like you said, they were just makeshift solutions for jo and with the ja multiple blade tags/beam lengths, they could be much better done).

i've tried your sword set and i realize it's only a test, but the sound pack is... rediculous, the game comes with reasonable sword sound effects(sith_sword) why not reuse them? i like the idea of replaceing the standard sabers, but if you're going that far already it's pretty easy to add sword trails (unless you left them out for realism/etc).

about the "dracul lance", it's a united cutlery fantasy weapon right, it shouldn't be difficult to find someone to make it (the style looks similar to a few other models in your pack), but i'm not interested.

Archived