Home

What saber for multiplayer?

NathanRahl

I just played the game this weekend with a couple of friends - mostly multiplayer. As a "classic Jedi" I took a single bladed saber, all the others (save one) took dual or staff. My question now is: Do you think the three are balanced? Or do you think (like me) that dual is the most powerful of the three...?

Btw, I'll never understand why "search" is deactivated in some forums... :confused:

Currently there is a lot of debate over this (check other theards to see a more in depth look). I actualy find the single saber to be the most powerfull, though the hardest to use well. Dual sabers, while powerful, can be countered with red stance (they don't have the reach). There are a few *bugs?* that cause dual sabers and saber staves to get instant kills (from 100/100). You can see this a lot with dual standard attacks and the staff forward+attack+jump move.

If the istant hit kills are fixed I think they will be balanced with the single taking more practice.

You cannot stab two opponents at the same instant with a single saber, no matter how good you are.

That's something that even a lowly single-player like me can say. The first time I played the level where the mutant rancor was running around, I ran between two dark jedi and killed them both with one thrust with each arm. It barely slowed me down.

Dual sabers are "noob" weapons, some people say. I don't believe it for a minute. I got lucky with that double stab, but somebody with some skill could do that every chance he got. That's just one example of the potential here.

It's pretty simple: can you use the style's special moves? Do you understand the dynamics of the style's attack patterns? Can you get yourself out of a tight situation and counter with the style? Do you feel challenged/want to feel challenged? Does it look cool when you own some random nub (very important)? Can you spam the kata?

I took the time to learn both dual saber and saberstaff. I found saberstaff far and away the cheesiest of the three. Single saber is a hugely toned-down version of its original self (even from 1.04), but still the most versatile style. Dual sabers offers me, personally, the most challenge so I use them.

I happen to feel that, in the hands of someone like myself, dual saber is pretty darn good. Not as good as spamming butterfly dance with the saberstaff, but if you're a canny saberist that's easily avoided and countered. The dual saber also offers the best compromise of range for power, lending itself to the saberist who is interested in stringing decent-length combos without losing some of his speed or power.

Saberstaff is almost infinitely chainable in the hands of a practiced user, while single saber remains variable.

ALL styles get access to single-saber blue stance (i.e. uppercut strike), so everything is roughly the same for countering dfas if you're still using the uppercut method.

Archived