Home

Suggestions for 56kers?

Kataarn

Originally posted by razorace

My suggestion is to get DSL. :D

Problem with that is that you have to be somewhat near (2000 feet I think) to the phone station thingy, which I most definitely am not... (about 60 miles...)

Earthlink is usually pretty good...it's just that the way phone numbers are here, the only local number I can dial, is somewhat busy as it is for a smallish city (more like a satelite of a larger city, but it's still large enough to cause problems)...

My best advice is to try a number of different servers. The nearest is not always the best option. When I was on 56k, I got better pings on servers in Denmark, and I live in the UK.

A good little utility for tracking lots of servers to see their pings is All Seeing Eye. It should offer up a quite comprehensive list of servers to play on, and you can sort them by ping - and even ping individual servers again to try and better gauge your potential connection to them.

Good luck, anyway. I know how it feels to get pings of 999 and 'connection interrupted' messages. Persevere, and you should find at least one good server to play on.

I Think this may be why I am a bigger fan of SP. I am stuck with 56k for a while - but even if I did get an adsl connection i'd probably spend more time playing SW galaxies or final fantasy xi... there is so much attitude in the JO/JA MP world that finding a great group of people to play with is as perilous as finding true love... :p

I do play MP infrequently, at Lan get-togethers with friends...I prefer it that way, if there are any disputes and morons you can just walk over and punch them in the solar plexus(fortunately this has never happenned so far... :p)

For the 56k query, probably best to get used to fun with bots, the JA version of masturbation........... :p

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

For the 56k query, probably best to get used to fun with bots, the JA version of masturbation........... :p

MTFBWYA

LOL

anyways, if you are using windows xp or 2k, it reserves some bandwidth for dl'ing updates, even if you have turned automatic downloads off. i read a guide somwhere how to turn it of i'll post it whn i find it. on the testing computer they got up to 10% faster speeds on a modem as i recall.

Archived